Trolling for some ideas...

patb

Blues Junior
Obviously not the subject at hand but I suggest Gospel mixed with the blues or Chicago Blues.
To clarify Gospel think what Jerry Lee Lewis did or Mickey Gilley. Doug Hammer does a great job with it. Robert Randolph uses it on pedal steel when he's not too far out there.
I grew up in the early 50's in southern Illinois which was more "southy" than you might think. Middle of the road protestant church with the music played on an upright piano, likely out of tune. Not thinkingcontemporary "Worship " music.

Last edited:

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
I am not a rock kind of guy, so please excuse my interruption, but here is an idea for a course:

Take a 12 bar blues. Cut it up into one bar, a musical phrase (4 bars) or the entire 12 bars.

Create several versions of the same music, using different techniques. Techniques such as:

1. Single to triple picking

2. Hammer On/Pull Off

3. Vibrato

4. Bends

5. Slide

Add whatever is left.

I took a piece of music that I enjoyed playing and created five versions of it each using different techniques. The end result is interesting. The "feeling" (resultant sound produced) is different by changing the techniques used. It is fun to play the five arrangements with a backing track, and change the techniques on the fly. Having more than one version (techniques used) of a piece of music is enjoyable.

Tom

TexBill

Blues in Texas
Just in case there might be other Texans that enjoy a little country occasionaly.

As Griff now resides in Texas, don't you think it is time for some George Strait. After all, he has long been producing #1 hits for a while.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Just in case there might be other Texans that enjoy a little country occasionaly.

As Griff now resides in Texas, don't you think it is time for some George Strait. After all, he has long been producing #1 hits for a while.
Okay, this gives me some bragging rights................and, well, I don't get many, so I take the ones I can get

George Straight is known for trolling youtube and listening to unknown people. He actually gave me a like on Rumble for one of my songs, checked, it was a verified account..............so yeah, my claim to fame, not much but I ma taking it

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member

As long as we don't have to clap on 1 and 3, I'm OK with it..... sorta... almost.
grogne.gif

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier

Let's not get carried away, I was talking Country Rock, not pure Country, although some George Strait wouldn't be bad!

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
Outlaws, Charlie Daniels, Blackberry Smoke or Band of Heathens
Edit: Yes, I purposely overlooked Hank Jr
Hank Jr. has a new album out that is all blues, produced by Dan Auerbach, "Rich White Honky Blues." Yes, he's a strange bird, blame it on his crazy upbringing. His records, over 50 of them are wildly divergent in style and execution. I saw him in the 70s and he was pretty awful. But maybe Dan Auerbach can bring the good out of him.

TexBill

Blues in Texas
Outlaws, Charlie Daniels, Blackberry Smoke or Band of Heathens
Edit: Yes, I purposely overlooked Hank Jr
Charlie Daniels yes! The others I am not familar with and will not pass judgement on them.
Also, agree on overlooking Hank Jr. Not on my list of favs.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Charlie Daniels yes! The others I am not familar with and will not pass judgement on them.
Also, agree on overlooking Hank Jr. Not on my list of favs.
Lets add in 38 special, Skynrd, blackfoot, Georgia Sattelites, Govt Mule
Moly Hatchet , Ozark Mountain Daredevils

TexBill

Blues in Texas
What I see is a collection of Southern Rock, Country Rock and no mention of Classic Rock. Which leaves the door wide open for consideration of just what do we pick and choose. Not one to quibble over who left the door open, just making an observation...

That being said, I don't have a horse in that race.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Hank Jr. has a new album out that is all blues, produced by Dan Auerbach, "Rich White Honky Blues." Yes, he's a strange bird, blame it on his crazy upbringing. His records, over 50 of them are wildly divergent in style and execution. I saw him in the 70s and he was pretty awful. But maybe Dan Auerbach can bring the good out of him.
Katy and I were in San Angelo, Texas, and saw the movie, "Your cheatin' heart". That was early 1966. After the movie was over, we returned to our car, and there was a bus parked next to us. Hank Williams Jr. We got home and turned on the television, and they were having an interview with Hank Williams Sr. ex wife Audrey. Audrey was expressing that her son (Jr.) had an outstanding voice, unlike his father, whose voice no one liked.

A few years ago an interview with Sam Williams, the son of Hank Williams Jr. was interesting. Sam liked to (at the time) emulate his grandfathers voice. Now Sam has a voice of his own. I guess.

My mom had several Hank Williams records, and I still enjoy that music.

Tom

Larry H.

Mojo Enabled
What I see is a collection of Southern Rock, Country Rock and no mention of Classic Rock. Which leaves the door wide open for consideration of just what do we pick and choose. Not one to quibble over who left the door open, just making an observation...

That being said, I don't have a horse in that race.
Classic Rock is a pretty wide category in my book...

TexBill

Blues in Texas
There are multiple different sounds associated with Classic Rock. A generational thing from the late 60s to possibly into the 90s. Most radio stations playing Classice Rock had program managers that focused on the baby boomers as tthey aged primarily for advertisment purposes.

I have a few favs from that time frame and occasionally like to listen just out of nostagia and mostly the words are easy to discern. Not so with some of today's airplay.