Trolling for some ideas...

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Some of you may remember I surveyed quite a few members via email late last year about what sorts of things y'all would like to learn in 2023...

Surprisingly, well over 40% asked for more in the "70s/80s Hard Rock" category, which is awesome because I grew up playing that stuff...

But it's not awesome because, I have to be honest, I'm not sure what I would teach.

The reality is that it uses blues scales and modes and stuff just like blues and classic rock does.

So, if I were to do a course of that nature, and you're the kind of player that would be interested in that... what would you want covered?

RobertYoung186

Blues Student/enthusiast
Hello Griff,

I didn’t take the survey last year, but if I had, I would have suggested a short course on SURF music. That’s right, I’d love to see 5 easy surf type solos or pieces. I know that’s not what you were asking, but I just had to say it. Is it too late for me to join the Ventures?

Bob

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Gosh.... ACDC comes to mind... Hard and Bluesy is of course Gary Moore with "The Loner," "Midnight Blues," and "Still Got The Blues." All three of those songs have got to be everyone's favorites from Gary Moore!! And then more progressive bands like Joe Satriani with "Flying in A Blue Dream album" or "Surfing with the Alien album" to name two albums of many and Ah Via Musicom from Eric Johnson or even anything Van Halen... Did I mention Tommy Bolin? From his Teaser and Private Eyes albums :Beer:

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
To be fair to the others that may have, I don't think I made that selection in the poll. But, if they qualify as hard rock, here are some of the bands I'd like to learn a little of their style.

Queen, Aerosmith, Van Halen, Def Leppard

Queen may not be the best because there's already a bunch out there along the lines of How to Play Like Brian May. EVH may have the same kind of stuff out there. But I haven't seen that kind of thing for Joe Perry/Brad Whitford or whoever the guitar player is for Def Lep.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Personally, I think southern/country rock and the focus on the major pentatonic, would make an awesome course! Country especially seems to favor the major pentatonic and who wouldn't want to learn some pedal steel licks on guitar!

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
To be fair to the others that may have, I don't think I made that selection in the poll. But, if they qualify as hard rock, here are some of the bands I'd like to learn a little of their style.

Queen, Aerosmith, Van Halen, Def Leppard

Queen may not be the best because there's already a bunch out there along the lines of How to Play Like Brian May. EVH may have the same kind of stuff out there. But I haven't seen that kind of thing for Joe Perry/Brad Whitford or whoever the guitar player is for Def Lep.
Def Leopard isn't that Phil Collen?

Elio

Student Of The Blues
It might might be fun to add Jeff Beck to the mix since his style was so distinctive. I also kind of like the idea of doing specific song lessons. Maybe continue the blues oriented ones you've been doing and adding some occasional classic rock ones (I like Snarf's suggestions of Van Halen, Aerosmith, Queen, etc).

snarf

So, what I'm seeing is maybe not so much a general, "Unleashed" style course, but perhaps a "How To Solo Like [insert your favorite 80s guitar hero here]," is that more useful to you?
In my mind it could go either way depending on what you think would make a better course. You could take the route of a "How to Play Like" compendium. It might be fun (and useful) to see what kind of techniques some players use that we wouldn't usually notice or think about. But, if that means you're having to take a deep dive on every player to write the course, the ROI on your side may not be worth it. Or you could do something like a CRGU2 and couch the songs into the lessons like you did the original course. After all, some of the rhythm lessons in CRGU may not be quite so obvious, but it doesn't take much to realize what songs influenced the solo lessons.

snarf

Def Leopard isn't that Phil Collen?
No way! Seriously, is that his name?!? That's all kinds of funny to me. That means there's Phil Collen the guitar player in Def Lep. Then there's Phil Collins the guy from Genesis. And then there's an old friend of mine's dad named Phil Collins that was a principal instrument player in a large city's symphony that you've probably all heard at some point. Seems to me that if you're named Phil Collins (or something close to that) maybe you're just destined to be a musician. :ROFLMAO:

[/total hijack]

piebaldpython

Blues Junior
I like the major pentatonic idea that PapaBear mentioned........but I was thinking of it more in a Jerry Garcia style.......Bertha; Not Fade Away; Going Down The Road Feeling Bad. The major pentatonic probably shows up in a lot of Motown and Gospel tinged stuff too.

How about Funk-type Blues? Albert Collins and Luther Allison did a lot of that type stuff.

JeffreyS

You are never to old to learn something new.
Maybe not want you want here but I would like to see you do a course/workshop that marries with your ultimate jams backing tracks where you take 10 or so tracks and show what you played on the rhythm parts ( I love your rhythm playing) and then maybe a solo that your might play over it.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
ohhhhhhhh, now we are talking up my alley

1) Changing from playing a chord to tossing in a lick,to back to the chord smoothly, compared to blues, it seems faster , similar to I believe chapter 6 in Classic Rock unleashed
2) Legatto licks
3) Tone using overdrive on an amp, combined with stacking a pedal to get a clean distorted sound versus a muddy distorted sound
4) Some concentration on the thing Keith Richards made a career off, not sure what its called, but in Kiss Rock n Roll all night, they play an A then the middle and ring finger do a hammer on off thing
5) Double stops, really working them in different octaves compared to using full chords or traditional power chords, similar to Def Leppard Photograph

Something not just Rock............but other areas

6) Not sure the name, maybe linking chords or transition chords. Say I am playing something in a standard G, C, D and the song transitions to another key in the bridge. How to figure out what chords to use to bring it to the new key and back
7) Pinch harmnonics
8) How to integrate SUS chords more into music and how they fit in compared to major / minor
9) Any hints on how to make the hair bigger, for those of us with it, and wear leather in a classy and tasteful manner
10) integration of tapping into soloing................Jeff Lebar used to do this cool thing where he would be playing a solo then tap a few notes, then back to picking

But this is off the top of my head