sloslunas has left the building

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
Wait i have a new song title “Dont pee on my shepherd”? I mean it seems like it doesnt need to be said ... but ... well it could be a blues song ... but maybe reverse it AKA back to the original even ... Shepherd peed on my PRS guitar again blues?

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Here's something that works for me.

Whenever I get all worked up over something someone wrote and feel the urge to reply aggressively, I will write out my reply and then read it back to myself before posting it and ask myself, "Do you really want to post this?"

Most of the time I can answer that question even before I've finished writing or sometimes I will finish my rant and re-read my comments several times.

In either case, by the time I've done that I've usually gotten whatever pique I may have developed out of my mind and assured myself that whatever I wrote would probably cause more problems than it might solve and I then delete everything and move on.

Writing it out gets it out of my system and it gives me time to consider if getting up in someone's grille is really worth all the trouble.

Nine out of ten times it's not.

Cheers! :Beer:

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I get what you're saying.
But then there's this:

In all the years I have been online I have participated in many forums covering a range of pastimes and subject matter. And in every one that featured an off-topic section with no restrictions (and no relevance to the subject of the forum) two things always happened:

1. The off-topic area generally became a war zone.
  2. The animosity created there inevitably found it's way into the rest of the forum and in many cases rendering it useless for its intended purpose.
I'm not a big "rules" guy and I never have been. That said, I do appreciate a forum such as this where a concerted effort is made to minimize any flame-throwing and focus on the primary subject which in our case is playing Blues guitar.

It's refreshing to see that not only can such a forum exist but that an effort is made to maintain civility so that it continues to be a place where music and not mayhem is the order of the day.

If I really want to get my freak on and jump on my soapbox, there are myriad places online for me to do just that.
But here, I just want to focus on guitar; how to play it; and how to spend tons of money on gear I really don't need in the company of other person's of a like or similar nature.:ROFLMAO:

And in pursuit of all that, the less mayhem the better! :Beer:

I think that you pretty much hit the nail right on the head with that observation.

BigMike

Blues Oldie
Again, I wonder if anyone actually understood my post. I have never once suggested turning this forum into a free for all, I never said that and never intimated that as an option. But it looks like most of you have taken that as my point and run with it completely out of context. I saw something which I thought was unjust and I still believe it was. I will never shirk from speaking up when I think someone is being treated unreasonably, keeping quiet about these things never changed anything. I know I have obviously stirred an hornets nest by having the temerity to criticise this forum, but you know what, I was hoping for improvements but it looks like its going to be the same old same old. Also, If you think these are rants, you don't want to see me when I'm angry.

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
Again, I wonder if anyone actually understood my post. I have never once suggested turning this forum into a free for all, I never said that and never intimated that as an option. But it looks like most of you have taken that as my point and run with it completely out of context. I saw something which I thought was unjust and I still believe it was. I will never shirk from speaking up when I think someone is being treated unreasonably, keeping quiet about these things never changed anything. I know I have obviously stirred an hornets nest by having the temerity to criticise this forum, but you know what, I was hoping for improvements but it looks like its going to be the same old same old. Also, If you think these are rants, you don't want to see me when I'm angry.

I can only speak for myself. I didn't see your post. That being the case, it's unlikely that my replies have been entirely relevant, nor is it likely that I have misunderstood you. I guess that's all I really have to say that IS relevant.

Elio

Student Of The Blues

I don't believe I saw anyone characterize what you said as a "rant" and I don't think anyone believes that you were suggesting a free-for-all. And trust me, I'm not trying to make you angry. I believe that I understood your point and I don't see any hornets flying around. You expressed your valid opinion and others have expressed their valid opinions. The point being made is that opening the door a little bit to political content never ends well. At least that has been my experience on a number of other forums over many years. I, for one am glad to see the policy the way it is, as I have seen way too many online discussions descend into chaos *very* rapidly based on a post that one person considers an innocuous commentary, but that someone else considers an attack on their most profound beliefs.

It takes very, very little to start a range war in an arms-length online environment, where people will often say things that they would never consider saying to someone's face. Combined with the limitations of online communication and the limited ability effectively communicate humor versus insulting sarcasm, it doesn't take much at all to break down an online community.

I come to this forum for one reason, which is to discuss music and related topics with people I consider to be friends. One could argue that members could simply not pay attention to political content if they don't want to see it. The reality is that when someone sees a post that has a real or perceived attack on their beliefs, they will want to react to it, the discussion will descend into chaos, and the comradery of the group will suffer. There is no perfect system for deciding what stays and what is deleted, so we entrust that decision to the moderators, each of whom I know personally and totally trust with that decision.

If I have a post deleted on this forum for posting a direct or implied political opinion, however well camouflaged, I should totally expect that to happen. If I have a post deleted regarding tube versus SS amps, well that's a different story entirely because that's what we're here for.

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
I don't believe I saw anyone characterize what you said as a "rant" and I don't think anyone believes that you were suggesting a free-for-all. And trust me, I'm not trying to make you angry. I believe that I understood your point and I don't see any hornets flying around. You expressed your valid opinion and others have expressed their valid opinions. The point being made is that opening the door a little bit to political content never ends well. At least that has been my experience on a number of other forums over many years. I, for one am glad to see the policy the way it is, as I have seen way too many online discussions descend into chaos *very* rapidly based on a post that one person considers an innocuous commentary, but that someone else considers an attack on their most profound beliefs.

It takes very, very little to start a range war in an arms-length online environment, where people will often say things that they would never consider saying to someone's face. Combined with the limitations of online communication and the limited ability effectively communicate humor versus insulting sarcasm, it doesn't take much at all to break down an online community.

I come to this forum for one reason, which is to discuss music and related topics with people I consider to be friends. One could argue that members could simply not pay attention to political content if they don't want to see it. The reality is that when someone sees a post that has a real or perceived attack on their beliefs, they will want to react to it, the discussion will descend into chaos, and the comradery of the group will suffer. There is no perfect system for deciding what stays and what is deleted, so we entrust that decision to the moderators, each of whom I know personally and totally trust with that decision.

If I have a post deleted on this forum for posting a direct or implied political opinion, however well camouflaged, I should totally expect that to happen. If I have a post deleted regarding tube versus SS amps, well that's a different story entirely because that's what we're here for.

Well said and spot on! :thumbup:

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
[QUOTE="Elio, post: 423390, member: 504"]You are a step ahead of me. I usually end up hitting my head with the hammer. I keep forgetting that a wind-up is not required.[/QUOTE]
Just a lesson in coordination. One time in my teens I was repairing some siding on a farm shed, driving a nail into a stud about forehead level, and caught the claw of the hammer in the back of my head. Dumb and dumber. :confused:

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler

Every political forum I am a member of is nothing but a protracted range war. They all have strict rules against name-calling, but that's about it. To participate in those you absolutely must have a very thick hide and low blood pressure because no matter WHAT you say, you will be attacked. And usually they tend to be just echo chambers of one general persuasion and if you happen to disagree with them you will be unmercifully attacked from all sides. If you are actually intelligent and think and see through the political propaganda and hype, and are foolish enough to raise your point you will be figuratively CREMATED. THEY ARE NOT FUN! I do not want to see that door opened on this forum even a crack! I respect Steve and have no idea what he said and most likely would agree with whatever he said, but if it was even a little bit political it does not belong here.

I hope Steve comes back!
Even if he doesn't like SS amps and disparages pedals. :):confused::eek:

Last edited:

DesmoDog

Desmo was my dog. RIP big guy
One time SHarpo posted that his dog pee'd on one of his guitars and was asking how to get his dog to stop peeing on his guitar. I replied that maybe he should piss on his dog to teach him a lesson (thinking my humorous attempt would be regarded as such).

I remember that thread, I thought it was pretty funny. A friend of mine did pee on his dog once - they were out in the woods, he was peeing, the dog started sniffing around and stuck his head in harms way as it were. Maybe the dog learned not to do that, maybe the dog didn't really give a rip. Dog's don't view life the way humans do after all, it's just pee.

That said, I enjoy not having to deal with politics here too.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I remember that thread, I thought it was pretty funny. A friend of mine did pee on his dog once - they were out in the woods, he was peeing, the dog started sniffing around and stuck his head in harms way as it were. Maybe the dog learned not to do that, maybe the dog didn't really give a rip. Dog's don't view life the way humans do after all, it's just pee.

That said, I enjoy not having to deal with politics here too.
There have been a couple times I forgot to completely close the bathroom door, only to have Annie (our big dog) come strolling for a close up look to see what dad is doing. Same result. Considering what I've seen her eat while in the horse barn, it's no big deal.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler

That said, I enjoy not having to deal with politics here too
For anyone who followed that thread it would be hard not to remember. Steve unloaded a couple 12 gauges on me and then went for his six-guns. o_O I think he wanted me removed from the human species. :eek: Man, did he ever lace it to me! He was madder than a hornet's nest in a concrete mixer! But the fact that he eventually forgave and forgot and that we became friends goes to his defense. If he is as passionate about his politics as he is about his beautiful dogs, well ... he may not be back, and that would be regrettable.

That said, one time I walked over to the bushes and let fly. And pee'd on an electric fence that was hidden in there. Let me tell you, that was a "religious experience" I will never, ever let happen again, I felt the "power of the Lord"! I think I smelled fried oysters! Now I LOOK first!

Last edited: