Griff's 3+2, 2+3 patterns

JeffreyS

You are never to old to learn something new.
I am confused, I have seen video's where Griff explains the the minor pattern as 3+2 but in Blues Solo Construction Kit: Shuffle Feel he shows the Minor pattern as 2+3. What am I missing?

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
3+2 is "right facing" starting with your first finger on the root as if starting Box 1.

But you play 3 notes on the string rather than 2 before moving to the next string.

Three notes on the string you start on, then 2 on the next.

R b3 4 on a string then 5 b7 on the next.

2+3 starts out "left facing" with your third finger on the root and first finger on the b7 as if starting Box 5.

Two notes on the string you start on, then 3 on the next.

b7 R on a string then b3 4 5 on the next.

Keep in mind that the lowest note in this pattern, as with all “left facing” minor pentatonic octave patterns, is the b7, not the root.

Last edited:

JeffreyS

Thank you looking at it now, thank you.

Last edited:

JeffreyS

Got it can someone direct to the 3+2 major video I saw it but cant find it now.----Found it..

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Just an FYI for anyone else interested. Two blog posts mentioning the 3+2 Major pentatonic pattern.

Also note that if you start the 2+3 minor pattern from the next note after the root on the 6th string, you have the Relative Major 3+2 pattern from its 5th string root.

For example, if starting the 2+3 minor pattern with 3rd finger on A on the 6th string, the next note is C on the 5th string (1st finger).

The Major root is the 2nd note (b3) of the minor scale.

Last edited:

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
I’ve always been a little forgetful with the 3+2 Minor Pent. Pattern. Thanks for providing the links to Griff’s lesson Paleo!

Last edited:

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Also, if you have the "rut busters" mini-course, there is a bit about this concept in there too.