Would ya?

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Would you drive an hour each way for $50?
As most of us are aware, Guitar Center (as do many others) have a price match guarantee. According to their website, they offer a price match for 45 days. If someone offers a lower price, they will match it. If you have already purchased something from them and you find it at a lower price within 45 days, they will refund the difference (including the sales tax, if applicable).
Back at the beginning of the month, I bought a used bass from a store in Wisconsin and had it shipped to the local store in Pineville, NC. It's about an hour away from home, but I wanted to open the carton while in the store so I could take it or leave it if wasn't what it was cracked up to be. I also had never been to this particular store. The bass isn't the issue. It was as advertised. There was an issue with some slight neck twist, but it was very minor and I was able to work that out with a fresh setup.
While I was there, I bought a Gator Hard Shell TSA case for it. I had previously measured and discovered the bass was too long to fit in my SKB case that fits my Precision Bass and my Jazz Bass.

Along comes black Friday and I get a notice from Musician's Friend that they have the case on sale for $50 less than I paid. Perfect opportunity to utilize the price guarantee. So I went to GC's website and used their chat service. I was assured that I could do this online. I got almost through the process, which took about 20 minutes only to find out that the rep hadn't read my opening statement that I had already bought the case and wanted a refund. She informed me that since it was a store purchase, she couldn't do it, but I could call the store and they could issue a credit if I had my receipt number (I did).

So, I called the store and got passed around until finally one of the people on the other end told me that he checked with a manager and the only way I could get a creidt was to go to the store with the receipt. Once there, they would refund my original purchase and sell me the same case again at the lower price. He also suggested that I might have some luck with their Customer Service line.

Called the customer service line and the person I spoke with was very friendly and asked me if I had a GC account. He said it shouldn't be a problem at all. He asked if my phone number was in their system (which it has been for over a decade). He entered my phone number and found the bass purchase, but didn't have any record of the case. He asked for my order number. All I had was a receipt. I asked him if the Sales number was what he wanted. He said no, the order number should begin with GC. Mine did not. He then told me it was a store sale and was not in the corporate database. Only the store would have access to the individual sale. Couldn't help me, but he also suggested I call again and ask to speak directly to a store manager. He said the same process he would use on a corporate sale is what is used at the local level...
Spoke with the store manager this morning and he insists that they cannot issue any credit without my CC being physically on premises and swiped.

So, what would you do?

Elwood

Blues
Honestly, I would probably grumble lot's and eat the $50.

I like the MF/GC thing, but, their shipping is less than stellar (another issue I realize). Starting back when they shipped me that $10,000 Martin when I had ordered a used 339, then I ordered a cloud lifter which is as fragile as a rock - but it came packed like fine crystal (at my expense and delay), to my last order of a couple of 6' xlr cables that they shipped from the west coast to the east, on the way to the west coast, and then gave me a thin, non-factual excuse.

Well it does affect my decision making.

I ordered my Superblock from Amazon, as always it got here right after the order was placed. I was tired of the confusion with MF and SW has also exhausted most of my patience with them.

That is some kind of run around screw job they threw at you on the refund. Either you are entitled or not, you are. If there was some other reason to drive over there so you could get combined value from the trip it would be cool just to make them pay! (what if you drove over there and then they say the "right" manager is off today?)

I'll just add your experience to my list of grievances with MF/GC as I consider future purchases.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
If that were the only thing happening on the trip? No, I don't believe I'd drive a two hour round trip just for that.

If there were a way to combine the trip with one or two other (preferably fun) activities or destinations? Much more likely I'd be willing.

YMMV, of course. :Beer:
No other outstanding reasons for the trip.
The real reason I dread making the trip is I'm likely to spend far more than the refund... You know, kid in a candy store!
I hadn't been in a music store in nearly 4 years prior to picking up the bass and getting the case (and strings). Well, there was a visit to Guitar Sanctuary while in Texas. Boy am I glad that place isn't close to me!

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I like the MF/GC thing, but, their shipping is less than stellar (another issue I realize). Starting back when they shipped me that $10,000 Martin when I had ordered a used 339, then I ordered a cloud lifter which is as fragile as a rock - but it came packed like fine crystal (at my expense and delay), to my last order of a couple of 6' xlr cables that they shipped from the west coast to the east, on the way to the west coast, and then gave me a thin, non-factual excuse.
I get that! That was the reason I had the bass shipped to their store instead of directly to my house. I figured I could give it a quick inspection while in the store and decide whether I wanted to take it home or leave it there.

Over the years, I've had relatively good dealings with GC and employees. While I lived in Florida, the manager of the GC had started as a kid with another music store in town, where I had bought several guitars from him, so he always treated me well.

I just shot off a note to GC's customer service explaining the situation. I'll give them one more chance to help me out. It's funny, five years ago I would have thought twice about driving an hour each way for a $50 refund. Inflation surely has taken its toll. But in any case, it sure does make a stronger case for people like me (who live on the outskirts of nowhere) to not bother with brick-and-mortar. This would have all been handled in 10 minutes had I bought it through GC's website.

Elwood

Blues
That whole"price match guarantee" is there to prevent the return of merchandise that came up for a lower price after purchase (within a short time frame). One way to reward their poor customer service would be to make the drive, demand a full refund returning their case. And then buy it again, immediately at the sale price. Hey since you're there, maybe they have one in stock, since you just returned one (a "return" now at an additional discount).
On the reason for return you could state "poor customer service from manager Mr. doesn't know his ear from his elbow".
If they take our cards, they take our cards. Now you have to appear in person to use your card? BS!!! It's just $50.00 but it is really irritating.

BBB complaint will get your money back, in good time. The GC mothership will want to resolve the issue ASAP.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Go back to the store, return the bass and the case.
Tell them you'll buy it back for $100 less than original.
Tell them that's your policy.
If they don't agree..........go home with your $$ and start shopping again.
I considered doing exactly that (along with a new set of bass strings I haven't opened). If I didn't like this bass so much that would be my course of action. Unfortunately, the same bass, brand new is $300 more and I haven't found another used version of it for less than $100 more, which is why I grabbed it.

But now that you've seconded one of my ideas, it might be worth a shot. I don't know the history of this bass, but the serial number says it was built in July of 2022. I'm starting to wonder if the slight neck twist is why it was in the store and so cheap. It's certainly not enough to make it not playable, but it could affect resale value. I wonder if whoever originally bought this registered it or if it might have a factory warranty. They certainly can't replace the neck, as it's a through-body neck. Perhaps I could score a new one from Fender (Jackson). It might be worth the drive. Now I have something to keep me awake tonight! :unsure:

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Honestly, I would probably grumble lot's and eat the $50.

Well it does affect my decision making.

I ordered my Superblock from Amazon, as always it got here right after the order was placed. I was tired of the confusion with MF and SW has also exhausted most of my patience with them.

That is some kind of run around screw job they threw at you on the refund. Either you are entitled or not, you are. If there was some other reason to drive over there so you could get combined value from the trip it would be cool just to make them pay! (what if you drove over there and then they say the "right" manager is off today?)

I'll just add your experience to my list of grievances with MF/GC as I consider future purchases.
Would you drive an hour each way for $50?
As most of us are aware, Guitar Center (as do many others) have a price match guarantee. According to their website, they offer a price match for 45 days. If someone offers a lower price, they will match it. If you have already purchased something from them and you find it at a lower price within 45 days, they will refund the difference (including the sales tax, if applicable).
Back at the beginning of the month, I bought a used bass from a store in Wisconsin and had it shipped to the local store in Pineville, NC. It's about an hour away from home, but I wanted to open the carton while in the store so I could take it or leave it if wasn't what it was cracked up to be. I also had never been to this particular store. The bass isn't the issue. It was as advertised. There was an issue with some slight neck twist, but it was very minor and I was able to work that out with a fresh setup.
While I was there, I bought a Gator Hard Shell TSA case for it. I had previously measured and discovered the bass was too long to fit in my SKB case that fits my Precision Bass and my Jazz Bass.

Along comes black Friday and I get a notice from Musician's Friend that they have the case on sale for $50 less than I paid. Perfect opportunity to utilize the price guarantee. So I went to GC's website and used their chat service. I was assured that I could do this online. I got almost through the process, which took about 20 minutes only to find out that the rep hadn't read my opening statement that I had already bought the case and wanted a refund. She informed me that since it was a store purchase, she couldn't do it, but I could call the store and they could issue a credit if I had my receipt number (I did).

So, I called the store and got passed around until finally one of the people on the other end told me that he checked with a manager and the only way I could get a creidt was to go to the store with the receipt. Once there, they would refund my original purchase and sell me the same case again at the lower price. He also suggested that I might have some luck with their Customer Service line.

Called the customer service line and the person I spoke with was very friendly and asked me if I had a GC account. He said it shouldn't be a problem at all. He asked if my phone number was in their system (which it has been for over a decade). He entered my phone number and found the bass purchase, but didn't have any record of the case. He asked for my order number. All I had was a receipt. I asked him if the Sales number was what he wanted. He said no, the order number should begin with GC. Mine did not. He then told me it was a store sale and was not in the corporate database. Only the store would have access to the individual sale. Couldn't help me, but he also suggested I call again and ask to speak directly to a store manager. He said the same process he would use on a corporate sale is what is used at the local level...
Spoke with the store manager this morning and he insists that they cannot issue any credit without my CC being physically on premises and swiped.

So, what would you do?
Based on my most aggregating GC experience, my suggestion is to write an email to corporate. After 9 months of runaround trying to get my headstock repair back, I finally emailed corporate and got back an almost immediate response from the customer service department, followed by a phone call from the regional manager. They not only did the repair at no cost, but they also offered me a new guitar if I wasn't happy with it (I was). Instead of the replacement, I was able to get the $2,500 Godin I had been lusting over at their cost, which turned out to be a very substantial discount. The email address I used was yourvoice@GuitarCenter.com. My sense is that above the store level, they have quite a bit of leeway to keep customers happy and to hopefully prevent damaging social media postings. I can't guarantee the same experience, but it is probably worth a try to express your frustration at the situation.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I'm starting to wonder if the slight neck twist is why it was in the store and so cheap. It's certainly not enough to make it not playable, but it could affect resale value.
That Gibson 339 I played at the Glens Falls jam has a similar affliction, and is why I got it so cheaply. Like the bass, to my mind it does not affect playability in the slightest but I'm far from a finesse player. The couple of more skilled folks I know who looked it over both noped on that flaw rather firmly.

TexBill

Blues in Texas
My experience with GC has been posted previously. In the vane of customer service, I had made numerous phone calls to Fender Customer Service relating to a MIM Tele issue. Finally, one of the Fender Reps advised that I should return to the store where it was purchased and have the guitar tech at the store call Fender while I was there.

Next day or day after, I went to the store. Talked with one of the managers who also does some tech work. He told me that he would make the decision rather than call Fender.

So, went to my vehicle and pulled the MIM Tele out, went back in the store. The manager took the tele and asked me to follow him to the register counter. When we got there, he said "I am issuing you store credit for the full price including sales tax". I asked if that was the only option. He replied that was the only way I could get a full refund.

The next thing I did was to play an AM Tele. Liked it for the most part. Didn't really like the color. Asked the manager if there were other color options. He check inventory and could not find others in stock. So I had him locate one in the box and have it shipped to the store. When I got notified it had arrived, went in and had the manager unbox it, inspect it, and set intonation. All was done before I would accept it.

All of this took place before I got involved with BGU courses and had been taking some private lessons at the same store. Being a student is supposed to get you a "Student Discount" on purchases. I never got a discount and have not purchased anything else personally from the store. My wife did buy a birthday gift for me after all this other scenario was finished....

Most of what I do purchase from that company is done online through MF not GC just because..........

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I've got a few GC in the area, I've been in all of them.
My experience has been, lackadaisical employees in store, no willingness to make a deal and very low trade-in offers.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
My experience has been, lackadaisical employees in store, no willingness to make a deal and very low trade-in offers.
I think the lackadaisical thing depends a lot on the store manager. The West Palm store I used to visit regularly had what seemed like some pretty goofy people. After the management change to the fellow I mentioned in earlier posts, the store got a lot better. It was cleaner, the employees were more attentive and seemed much more knowledgeable.

Unless their trade-in formula has changed, while you're waiting for an offer, someone is on the computer, scouring the internet for the lowest price they can find and then they offer 60% of that price. That's what I was told, but I have no proof. The only time I ever traded anything in was a small Marshall combo I had bought in a pawn shop a few months earlier. Nothing wrong with it, I just didn't like the way it sounded. They actually gave me $10 more in trade than I paid for it. I was buying my first American Standard Strat at the time.

Elwood

Blues
This all reminds me that I used to really like the local GC also. The manager was very cool. His dad plays a tele and he sold me some nice stuff, my bass amp, one of my telecasters, and more. Right about the pandemic time he was no longer there and since the place has been pretty clueless. I quit even checking there for stuff. I did check once on trading in a small Fender amp. For the lunch money they offered I just took it home and gave it to a grandson.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I think the lackadaisical thing depends a lot on the store manager. The West Palm store I used to visit regularly had what seemed like some pretty goofy people. After the management change to the fellow I mentioned in earlier posts, the store got a lot better. It was cleaner, the employees were more attentive and seemed much more knowledgeable.

Unless their trade-in formula has changed, while you're waiting for an offer, someone is on the computer, scouring the internet for the lowest price they can find and then they offer 60% of that price. That's what I was told, but I have no proof. The only time I ever traded anything in was a small Marshall combo I had bought in a pawn shop a few months earlier. Nothing wrong with it, I just didn't like the way it sounded. They actually gave me $10 more in trade than I paid for it. I was buying my first American Standard Strat at the time.
I've sold / traded a few things at Chicago Music Exchange.
From what I can tell, they check recently sold listings and offer 70% of that.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Well, I'll bring this saga to an end.
I thought a lot about it before I went to sleep last night and decided to follow most of @CaptainMoto's advice.
I took the bass and the case back to GC. The same guy I bought it from recognized me and helped. He asked why I was returning the bass. I told him it has a neck twist. He looked at the saddle height settings and sited down the neck and agreed with me. Then he made the assumption that I didn't need the case if I didn't have the bass. He was very gracious about it. He made a couple suggestions about other basses they had in stock and he suggested I go check out the toys while he finished the paperwork. The only bass I would have considered was well out of my budget. When I went back to the counter, he was finished and asked me to swipe my card so he could credit me for the case. No problem. I would buy from him again.

I figured since I was all the way into Metro Charlotte, I would go visit Sam Ash. I had never been there and really didn't know what to expect. Talk about understaffed, there were three sales people covering a store half again the size of the GC. I found the same bass I had just returned to GC, but without the neck twist in it. Action was set up very well. Only real difference was it is white. The other one was black. It was clean, but not as clean as the one I gave up. Then I noticed a very serious boo-boo on the bottom of the body. It was deep enough of a ding that the binding had separated from the body for about two inches. After surverying it and figuring out that I could probably fix it for about $50 and maybe an hour's labor. I took it to the front counter to the only guy I could find who worked there. Turned out he was the manager. I told him I was sold on it until I saw the huge ding. He looked at it and kind of chuckled and said, "yeah, someone dropped it while putting it back on the wall." Without even asking, he offered me $200 off the marked price. The stock tag said it also had a hardshell case. I couldn't resist. About this time an employee came back in from lunch and was dispatched to get the case. It's a basic Road Runner and it has a few miles, but it's intact. So we did the deal and then opened the case to find a DeltaLab CT-10 tuner, a good quality (but no-name) guitar cable, a dozen Dunlop Gator picks, and a strap (not pink).

Doing the math in my head, I realized I just spent $50 less for all of that than I had for just the bass at GC. Needless to say, I was a happy camper. Then the manager asked me for my email address so he could open up an account for me. Turns out they are offering a $50 gift card with any purchase over $399.

I guess the trip was worth it!