Understanding The Musical Notations

Tom45

Blues Newbie
Just started this course last week and although I've been learning how to play guitar for 3 years and I'm familiar with reading tab, I've learned a few things already from this course. I now know a little more about the musical notations above the tab. In Sitting Easy Blues, the first bar has a quarter note rest at the end and at the beginning of the 2nd bar there is a "#" sign just before the A7 chord. What does this mean?

It appears mostly at the beginning of each bar but sometimes it's in the middle or towards the end of a bar, so I'm curious as to what it's supposed to mean.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

02KnowBetter

I need a shot of Rhythm and Blues...
The # sign is indicating that the note is sharp as opposed to natural. For the E7 chord you are playing the notes G#, B and E. For the A7 chord they are G, C# & E. While for the B7 chord you are playing the notes A, B and F#. These are not the only notes in those keys but to keep things simple for the beginner Griff chose an easy to finger version of the chord. The upper part of the tab is nice as a reference and is most useful to show the time value (how long the note is held). The pitch of the note is adequately demonstrated in the lower portion of the tab. As Griff mentions just prior to the tab, all will be explained at a later time. Don't sweat the little details yet. Just try to enjoy the ride.

Tom45

Blues Newbie
Thank you 02KnowBetter for the explanation. The upper part of the tab is something I've never paid attention to before, so I'm glad Griff included this in the course. I've only started this course a week ago and I'm already enjoying the ride. :unsure: