The wall comes tumbling down

henryj

Blues Newbie
I've been working on solo 1 in SWS and have been stuck for weeks and weeks on the last lick.  I just couldn't get it to work out.  Mostly I have been having trouble making the grace note sound like a grace note and note hammer on, which gave me one more sound than I need to play the lick and just messed everything up.

Last night I was working on it with the same amount of failure until I finally gave up and got ready for bed.  Once in bed I turned on the TV for my bedtime showing of Family Guy and grabbed my accustic which I keep by the bed to play during comercials.   

A comercial comes on so I start hitting the problem lick.  It was perfect! I couldn't belive it.  I played it over and over about a 100 times perfectly.  I don't know what switch in my brain got turned on but it felt great.

I love these moments.

I would have played it all night but my wife started giving me some attitude about wanting to sleep.

Spencer

Blues Newbie
That's awesome man! Such a good feeling. When that happens to me, it's usually in the mornings as I'm walking out the door, and something I've been working on for weeks just all of a sudden hits like never before. I usually just yell "woooooooo" then go to work. Unfortunately normally when I get back home I can't play it anymore.  ;D

wgabree

Blues Newbie
Great story!  Illustrates perfectly the non-linear way we learn to play.  It's always - I can't....I can't....I can't....I (*&)^^*)& can't!!! ..... I can.

:cool:

L

Lame_Pinkey

That is a tricky little lick , no two ways, if, buts or maybe's about it.I butchered that every concievable way possible I think - but i tend to do that with everything i play ( aha new title : LP the Butcher from Bendigo !) [sounds heavy metalish  ;D] but one thing that helped get it to a more "normal" sound was playing the BB King " lessons from the masters" exercise.That seemed to trigger off the correct "feel" or timing for it.
Grats to you man.

LP

Spencer

Blues Newbie
I guess I'm not clear about what a grace not is exactly.  Can someone explain?  Thanks

Just check out SWS lesson 3. That's what the entire lesson is about and DVD explains it very well also.

Rue

Blues Newbie
AWESOME  !!   I'm waiting for that to happen to me Henry ...I've been working on that solo # 1  for a long time now but no where near getting it right. 

L

Lame_Pinkey

Vash, agrace note can be basically considered as this : pick a note ( I said pick a note not your nose !  ;D) then hammer on quickly to either the next fret of same string or the fret after(2 frets up).the note you picked does not have time to sound out fully as it is "masked" by the following note that is sounding after you hammered on.

LP