Something magic happened

JoseEspinosa

Blues Newbie
Hello all. My Name is Jose Espinosa and I've been noodling on guitar for over 20 years never progressing beyond simple chord strumming and learning a few licks. I have always struggled getting the "feel" of a song. Ive had private lessons, watched YouTube videos but never really progressed. My fingers move well enough, I could transition between chords just fine. I can follow tab. But still never nailed the feel of a song. Then I started with Griff right with beginning blues guitar. As you all know he REALLY stresses counting and timing. I listened and began counting during my practice., one and two... one and uh two... and something magic happened. My playing began to have feel. Ive been working on playing Scotty Moore's mystery train for 2 years on and off and never managed the train feel of that song. Last night I sat and counted and the train rhythm appeared under my fingers. I was a little shocked. the alternating bass line was bang on and the fill notes right there. I went back through my books and videos of songs I failed to learn.. and they came to me. It was like magic. His lessons taught me something so fundamental. Im so glad I'm here and grateful for Griff's easy way of teaching.

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
Dang man send me some of that magic! Please please!

Seriously though a great post and like you I have been getting a lot better this year at counting. One of the Mikes here ( I think Mike S ) says a lot "you need to count until you don't need to count" ...

Try getting that magic with the original BB King "The Thrill is Gone" maybe?

The counting helps a whole bunch when playing rhythm and strumming songs also. It allows you to jump in and out on various counts.

If ONLY the Griff guy had ever mentioned the importance of counting how shocking that we have to figure it out on our own.

It is too easy to get caught into the well I want to work on such and such a song I will practice my counting stuff ( tomorrow / next week / next month ). It comes up for me first thing every day now after some warmups I just do not allow myself to do other stuff until working my way through various counting drills. I even like them now ha ha! It's like a strange compulsion to do something to stretch my brain a bit!

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Hi Jose, welcome to the forum.
Glad that you found Griff and have taken your playing to the next level.

MarcV

Blues Junior
Hello all. My Name is Jose Espinosa and I've been noodling on guitar for over 20 years never progressing beyond simple chord strumming and learning a few licks. I have always struggled getting the "feel" of a song. Ive had private lessons, watched YouTube videos but never really progressed. My fingers move well enough, I could transition between chords just fine. I can follow tab. But still never nailed the feel of a song. Then I started with Griff right with beginning blues guitar. As you all know he REALLY stresses counting and timing. I listened and began counting during my practice., one and two... one and uh two... and something magic happened. My playing began to have feel. Ive been working on playing Scotty Moore's mystery train for 2 years on and off and never managed the train feel of that song. Last night I sat and counted and the train rhythm appeared under my fingers. I was a little shocked. the alternating bass line was bang on and the fill notes right there. I went back through my books and videos of songs I failed to learn.. and they came to me. It was like magic. His lessons taught me something so fundamental. Im so glad I'm here and grateful for Griff's easy way of teaching.

Welcome Jose, that is awesome story. Griff is great teacher. I envy you having magic moment after about a month(y)(y)
Similar for me in that I have been noodling for years and years with no real "feel" for songs. Joined about a year ago and while I have seen slow but steady improvement and love the site and all it offers, no magic especially with counting:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:
Your post and others like it keep me going though. Keep Playing

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Welcome Jose.(y) I see you've already broken the back of this 'ole blues playin'!!;) Well done!! There's no stopping you now. Have fun.:)

JoseEspinosa

Blues Newbie
Welcome Jose, that is awesome story. Griff is great teacher. I envy you having magic moment after about a month(y)(y)
Similar for me in that I have been noodling for years and years with no real "feel" for songs. Joined about a year ago and while I have seen slow but steady improvement and love the site and all it offers, no magic especially with counting:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:
Your post and others like it keep me going though. Keep Playing
Dont despair! For me it was about putting the notes in the right time. I know now that when I was following tab I was doing something like playing the right notes, but holding them for the right time, too fast to late too long or too short.Thats what I meant about the feel of what I was playing. really sitting down for hours and just counting what I was doing really helped that. Now, I count every time I play,

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
Welcome to the Clan Jose, I'm glad you're here. It's always good to have new members with positive experience to share. We all benefit from shared knowledge. Thanks for coming aboard.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
BRAVO!!!

I love to hear stories like this one!

Thanks so much for sharing with everyone.