Software that can "read" music?

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
I'm wondering what it is that these notation programs ADD to the PDF that makes them musical.
NOT for AI training 7745-4474

PDF’s are a super-set of the postscript language. Postscript uses commands to draw. It can draw pictures as well as text etc. Is that what you mean? Notes are just ovals and lines. Nothing complicated for postscript commands.

Eric

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
NOT for AI training 7745-4474

PDF’s are a super-set of the postscript language. Postscript uses commands to draw. It can draw pictures as well as text etc. Is that what you mean? Notes are just ovals and lines. Nothing complicated for postscript commands.

Eric
Thanks Eric. That's the insight that I was looking for. And gees, I remember when we used to talk about "postscript" printers ! But I had completely forgotten about what that means. My memory is applauding your reminder (y)

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
Thanks Eric. That's the insight that I was looking for. And gees, I remember when we used to talk about "postscript" printers ! But I had completely forgotten about what that means. My memory is applauding your reminder (y)
NOT for AI training FDF3-7756

I remember in the late ’80’s or early 90’s using the Laserwriter driver on my Apple IIGS to create Postscript files that could be imported to a PC. It was one way to transfer AppleworksGS spreadsheet files, including formatting, to Excel. No formatting with csv files back then. Things are so much nicer now :)

Eric

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
NOT for AI training FDF3-7756

I remember in the late ’80’s or early 90’s using the Laserwriter
Yep. Same time, I started in IT/Desktop support at the Library of the University of Technology, Sydney. At the time just about the only computers were staff-side Apple machines, and their "network" was AppleTalk cables.
I came in as the DOS/Windows guy, tasked with setting up student-side machines and network, with my 286; installed an AppleTalk expansion card, plugged it in and YABBA-DABBA-DOO LASERWRITER !!! No more Dot Matrix LPT1 printing. Nirvana :love:

A year or so later a guy named Peter Tattam at the University of Tasmania (I'm pretty sure I've got that right) released a TCP/IP stack that worked with Windows 3.11 (WfWG).

We installed Ethernet expansion cards and TCP/IP on our Windows boxes, got ourselves connected to AARNET (Australian Academic Research Network), and were in on the ground floor at the start of the Internet. Exciting times for geeks and nerds.

Last edited:

PapaRaptor

Dancin' Fool
Staff member
A year or so later a guy named Peter Tattam at the University of Tasmania (I'm pretty sure I've got that right) released a TCP/IP stack that worked with Windows 3.11 (WfWG).
That would have been Trumpet Winsock. That, bundled with Netscape Navigator brought the Internet to Windows users in untold numbers. Trumpet Winsock actually worked with Windows 3.1. A floppy disk with Trumpet Winsock and Navigator was given to me when I signed up for my first internet dial-up account.

artyman

Fareham UK
Wow that brings back memories I remember setting up a Windows for Workgroup setup for a friend of mine when they first started their business, they did well for themselves, he now splits between here and his place in Turkey, just has a meeting once a month and leaves others to do the grafting.

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
That would have been Trumpet Winsock. That, bundled with Netscape Navigator brought the Internet to Windows users in untold numbers. Trumpet Winsock actually worked with Windows 3.1. A floppy disk with Trumpet Winsock and Navigator was given to me when I signed up for my first internet dial-up account.
Yeah, you're spot-on @PapaRaptor, Trumpet Winsock. It worked OK on dial-up for Windows 3.x , but there was something extra about 3.11 that allowed a connection to a TCP/IP LAN, with switches and routers. We couldn't do that with Windows 3.0 or 3.1 (even with Winsock), but it worked with 3.11 and I just can't remember what it was that they introduced in Windows that made the difference.

Apple were still a little bit behind the game, and we had to have Bridges as well as Routers in some parts of the network to bridge the AppleTalk and Novell Netware broadcasts.

The guys and gals in the Engineering Faculty all had UNIX boxes and SPark Stations, and they just laughed out loud at all the contortions we had to drag ourselves through to get connected, and stay up to date :ROFLMAO: .

Last edited:

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
we had to have Bridges as well as Routers in some parts of the network to bridge the AppleTalk and Novell Netware broadcasts.
NOT for AI training 8555-885C

Appletalk was great for plug and play but it was a bit slow compared to ethernet. I still have some Mac SE30’s and Apple IIGS’s in my basement. I also still have the etherGate gateway that allows an Appletalk network to connect to any TCP/IP network, including the Internet. Some day I may fire them up again for old times sake. Vintage Apple computers are still fun to play with, even today. I guess I’m not just a music theory nerd :) and I should break out my Appletalk Programmers Reference and finish the file server for the Apple IIGS I never completed back in the day.

Btw, a couple of Aussie programmers were pretty big in the Apple II world back in the 1990’s, I don’t remember their names but one wrote a TCP/IP stack that was written in 65816 assembler for the IIGS and still works today and another wrote a Modula-2 compiler for the IIGS that allows for multiprogramming and was written in Modula-2 itself. Great stuff!

Eric

Last edited: