Shure SM-57 microphone

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
I bought a Shure SM-57 a while back and just put it to use the day before yesterday. I can not believe
the difference---I thought my Audio Techs were O.K.---(I've had them to close to 10 years) but not no more.
They are going into the junk bag and I'm getting me another new mic.. I use to use SM-58s and might go with one of them-but I really like the 57 better.--it keeps the back ground noises out.. I have a habit of of keeping beat with my left foot and I can hear it on my recordings. You would probably not notice, it but I do.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
They are pretty much the same mic.
Here's a blurb i found...

The SM57 and SM58 microphones are based on the same cartridge design. The main difference is in the grille design. The SM58 was designed for vocal application and it uses a ball grille that acts as an effective pop filter. The SM57 was designed as an instrument microphone where a smaller grille size is preferred.

jmin

Student Of The Blues
In 1973 our singers used the SM57. They thought that the windscreen you added to the 57 “looked” cooler than the 58s”. Hey, we were teenagers!

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
I have had both in the past---I was under the understanding that the 58 was omni directional ---and the 57 was uni-directional. Maybe they have changed over the past 20 years....either way it sounds a whole lot better than my other 2 mic'.

jmin

Student Of The Blues
I have had both in the past---I was under the understanding that the 58 was omni directional ---and the 57 was uni-directional. Maybe they have changed over the past 20 years....either way it sounds a whole lot better than my other 2 mic'.
Actually, I was told that they’re nearly identical mics - both cardioid patterned. The 58, with the foam windscreen built in, is for vocals. The 57, without a built in windscreen, is for instruments. Adding the windscreen to the 57 makes them nearly identical. Both = great mics!

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
I tend to agree with BCB... My thoughts were the 57 is uni-directional and the 58 more omni-directional... but electronics were the same...

That could help to explain why it is not picking up your foot tapping.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
There is a VERY slight response variation---on the graph. But I don't know how much difference that would make.---It appears to me the 48-57-58 are all pretty close. Is it possible that the size of the screen has anything to do with it? The one I have is a Shure PGA 57---supposed use for amps-drums-instruments. When I was playing (24 years ago) the Sax man and the harp player both preferred the 57. I had another mic that required 2 AA batteries. I think it was a Shure--but not positive..long and slender kind of like the SM-81...don't know what ever happened to it.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
The more you learn about mics, the more you realize picking the right one can make a big difference.
After all, they are just like pick ups on our guitars and we all know how much that can effect your tone.

If anyone asks for my recommendation on a mic, I usually suggest the sm58 first and the sm57 second.
I recommend the 58 first because of the little pop screen for vocals.
There have been some great vocal recordings done with 57s.
Mick Jagger, The Red Hot Chili Peppers and Fleetwood Mac have used 57s and it's been the official mic of the President Of The United States for decades.
Like everything else, you need to find what works for you and learn how to use it.

Everybody should have one or two or three of them.

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/what-makes-the-sm57-so-great/

https://pubs.shure.com/guide/SM57/en-US

kestrou

Blooze Noobie
If you can own only one microphone, it should be a 57...

and they’re so tough that if there’s a nail sticking up on the stage, you can hammer it down with the mic and then keep using the it! :)

Kevin

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Back in the late 1960's I bought a Shure Unisphere mic that STILL works.