'Nother "Little Chords" Question

Discussion in 'BGU Lessons 1-5' started by MarkDyson, Feb 2, 2019.

1. MarkDyson

MarkDyson Blues Hound Wannabe

So, I get that you find the anchor for the I chord based on where the root would be if you were fretting an E-shape barre. Then you slide down/up a half tone for the IV/V chords.

I'm a little lost trying to figure how you'd do this for a blues in E, though. The above convention would have me doing a single fretted note plus an open for the I chord, and nowhere to go for the IV. Clearly anchoring this progression involves some theory cleverness I do not yet possess.

Little help from my friends? :Beer:

#1 MarkDyson, Feb 2, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  2. Crossroads

Crossroads Thump the Bottom

Griff may teach it different but to me an E shape chord can always be substituted by an open F shape chord at the same fret. Think F @ the 1st Fret, barre and then open F.

A 5 string root (A shape) I play the B and G string of the A shape and will sometimes add he 1st string two frets lower, and sometimes hammer on the D string. So for an E barre at te 7th fret that would be he B and G string at the 9the fret (I chord), the open F shape at the 5th fret (IV chord), and then the open F shape at the 7th fret (V).

In it's simplest form it's really just a piece of the fuller bare chord, but I guess f you know theory there are a lot of other places you could play them

#2 Crossroads, Feb 2, 2019
    MarkDyson likes this.
  3. JestMe

JestMe Student Of The Blues

Mark

I wonder if you are talking about tritones... This would be an interval 6 semi-tones. And can be used as a sub for Dom 7 chords... I believe that notes would be the 3rd and b7 of the chord... so for a I IV V in C that would be...
    I - E Bb
    IV - A Eb
    V - F B

So play the "I" tritone from there slide it back 1 fret to play the "IV" tritone go back to the I tritone and slide it up 1 fret to play the "V" tritone

Not sure if this is what you are referring to but if so... I hope this is helpful

MarkDyson likes this.
  4. MarkDyson

I'm referring to the 2-note chord shapes @Griff teaches in lesson 4 of the BGU. :cool:

5. MarkDyson

Okay, I'm thinking that for playing in E you could use the 2-note E9 as the anchor and then go up/down from there. Gotta dig out the actual notes and check my math. :Beer:

6. MarkDyson

Okay, I think I got it. You're playing just the 3rd and the flat 7th. When you anchor the I as in the video the root is a fragment of the dom7th and the IV/V are fragments of the 9th (same fingering but the 3rd and b7 swap places). Just invert that for playing in E, so the 9th is the I. Ergo, anchor the E on fret 6 and go to 5/7 for IV/V.

This stuff is fun! :Beer:

7. Paleo

Paleo Don't let 'em bring you down

MarkDyson likes this.
  8. Paleo

And if you'll indulge me further and have a couple minutes to spare:

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/h71yf3fq21to2fh/Roots 2.m4v?dl=0

This little chord you are discovering is the reason why the V7 chord resolving to the I chord is the "strongest" progression there is.

The 3 & b7 of the V7 resolving to the 4 & 1 of the I chord, both movements of a half step.:whistle:

And fun was had by all.:)

MarkDyson likes this.
  9. MarkDyson

Good stuff, @Paleo , thanks! :Beer:

Paleo likes this.
  10. TwoNotesSolo

TwoNotesSolo Student Of The Blues

I like playing the little chords at the 12th fret or higher. Great for funky accents. Just don't overstrum.

Paleo and MarkDyson like this.
  11. Paleo

And you can do the "tritone" move starting with the E-shape barre chord in E up there.:)

The C# of the IV (A7) that wasn't available on the 4th string down in open position , is now available at the 11th fret.:sneaky:

#11 Paleo, Feb 2, 2019
  12. Griff

Griff Chief Cook And Bottle Washer
    Staff Member

I think where you might be getting confused is simply the string translation...

If I'm in G, the I chord sits nicely at the 3rd fret, but if I'm in E, the I chord has an open string in it, which can't go down for the IV chord.

Remember, however, that in the key of G, the IV chord goes down 1/2 step. Therefore if I had a I chord with a 5th string root, I would still just go down 1/2 step for a IV chord with those 2 notes.

So if you think of a 5th string root E7, you have the 6th and 7th frets for the 2 notes on the 4th and 3rd strings... for A7 you move them down 1/2 step, and for B7 you move them up 1/2 step - nothing changes.

The theory behind it is as described above with the fact that the 3rd and 7th are a tritone apart and can be inverted.

MarkDyson likes this.
  13. MarkDyson

Yeah, thanks for the clarifications. I was guilty (as usual) of over-thinking this.

Yesterday I went back over the video and realized (belatedly) that the answer was right there: the V in the key of A example. Well, duh. There's my anchor. :confused:

Thanks again! :Beer:

Griff likes this.
  14. Griff

Griff Chief Cook And Bottle Washer
    Staff Member

Something 'bout a forest... some trees...

It's hard to read the label from inside the bottle, that's what we're here for.

PapaBear and MarkDyson like this.
  15. Paleo

@MarkDyson

By Coincidence (?) I started Griff's "How To Build Blues Songs" today.

You might be interested in "Rhythm Figure 4", starting on page 18.

He uses 3 note little chords on the 2,3,&4 strings.

These are the same 2 note "chords" we were discussing yesterday with another note added on top.

Or the 4 note "little chords" without the 1st string top note.

So BGU shows the 4 string & 2 string versions and this course has the 3 string versions.

It's all still the E7 & C7 (or C9 if you prefer) chord shapes, just different string sets.

Pretty cool.:)

(Imagine that. All these varied courses are related and tie together.:sneaky:)

And rhythm Figures 1 & 2, "Chicks" & "Holds" use the 4 string little chords.

#15 Paleo, Feb 4, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    MarkDyson likes this.