NAD (Amplifier)

JonMiller216

Working on the "R" of R&B...
So I've owned a Positive Grid Spark 40 for a year or so, and I like it a lot. I especially like the ability to download a bunch of different tone and/or to tweak existing tones without the need to own a bunch of pedals, etc.

What I don't like is that I spend a lot of time downloading and tweaking tones to get that sound "just right" (whatever that means). I had some money sitting on Gear Exchange (Sweetwater) in the form of credit from a guitar I sold, so I thought I'd try one of these:

1000010032.jpeg

It's a Quilter Aviator Cub US version, with which many of you are familiar. I don't want to start a Tube vs. Solid State debate here, but I will say that I'm not smart enough or experienced enough to tell the difference between the Quilter and the three Amp channels (Tweed, Blonde, and Black) and the Fender Tweed, Blonde, or Blackface amps.

What a sweet sounding amp it is! Plus it's lightweight, powerfully loud, and with a Y-Cable, you can combine any two of the channels and get blended Tweed/Blonde, Tweed/Black, and Blonde/Black tones, which has proven to be pretty interesting too. The controls are pretty straightforward, and I've done a little experimenting trying to dial it in a little (it doesn't take much) and learn the differences from the three channels. The limiter has been fun to play around with. I hope to record with it for the VJR at my first opportunity and see how it sounds.

Mostly though, I just plug in and go. I plan on bringing it to any regional jams and also any local Blues Jams that I've been traveling around to provided they'll allow me to plug it in. It's definitely loud enough for a club venue, and so simple that I hope/think that it will improve my experience when I do play out because I'll be getting the tone that I want, rather than whatever random tone I find when I plug into an amp at a jam.

With regard to practice I find less choices are better on some day, and I really can't find anything missing when I plug into the Quilter. I'll continue to use the Spark for sure, it's a great practice amp and a good way to experiment, especially without having to buy pedals, etc. But I'm loving the Quilter.

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
I have both the Cub and the Spark 40...along with 5 others...both do the job well but for different reasons...add a powered cab with the Spark and it can be a beast...I find will ALL amps, you gotta spend some time tweaking whatever amp your playing to your ears...enjoy...later.

cowboy

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
The controls on a Quilter Cub work quite a bit differently from most other amps. On the tweed for example, if the gain is set to 3 o'clock, that equals maximum gain from the tweed amp that was the inspiration. Turning the gain past that is like using a boost to overdrive the amp. The bass, mid, and treble knobs, when set to 12 o'clock on the Cub, represent the tone controls all being maxed on the original amp. You can boost or lower all three bands where on an actual tweed you can only reduce, so there is much more tonal range. The limiter is beyond my ability to explain.

Elwood

Blues
The controls on a Quilter Cub work quite a bit differently from most other amps. On the tweed for example, if the gain is set to 3 o'clock, that equals maximum gain from the tweed amp that was the inspiration. Turning the gain past that is like using a boost to overdrive the amp. The bass, mid, and treble knobs, when set to 12 o'clock on the Cub, represent the tone controls all being maxed on the original amp. You can boost or lower all three bands where on an actual tweed you can only reduce, so there is much more tonal range. The limiter is beyond my ability to explain.
That is a nice explanation Braylon, and I will keep this in mind as I get to know my Superblock US better. How did you come by this info for the Quilter tone controls?

Elwood

Blues
All I have to work with is my very questionable hearing.
Likewise, and I think that maybe like Braylon I am not trying to make anything sound like anything else. I just look for sounds that please my ear. That goes for amps, guitars, basses, banjos, and even my attempts at singing. If somebody else did it, or sounds just like the best just like so and so has or did, well they may be selling but 'm not buying.
That little Superblock sounds amazing! And I think the Spark mini has taught me lots about modern tone stuff, I had to at least learn enough to turn most of that stuff off, and then to turn back on what I like. Kinda like ear training for amps.

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
Details were from Quilter website, Quilter forums and manuals. Once you work from that basic premise, it's easier to get good tone. The Cub and the SBUK are all I use anymore, usually run both in stereo. I use a Peavey tweed 1x12 cab with a V30 for the SBUK. And I often jump two channels on the Cub for a bit more beef. I also have a Mini and it's cool to have a wireless amp. I keep it in the living room to play quietly in late night hours. Also great for traveling or campfires. I don't miss big amps at all

Elwood

Blues
I also have a Mini and it's cool to have a wireless amp. I keep it in the living room
Yup, me too. It is my "electric enabler" for sit around time like I do with my dear acoustics. Again, thanks for the info!!! I saw some cryptic explanation of the limiter in the Quilter manual. They make it sound like a muscular and not so transparent compression.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
That little Superblock sounds amazing!
I bet it does! Right now my practice rig is a Quilter Phantom Block into a klone style OD pedal and then studio monitors. I love the tone and it took maybe seconds to set up. The whole concept of what an amp is has expanded.