May 2024 Challenge - Hi Mom!

PapaRaptor

Dancin' Fool
Staff member
With Mothers' Day happening in May, it seems that moms and mothers are the theme of choice for those expressing an opinion.
So, any song where mom is featured subject is the goal. Of course, we always have to have something a little more out there, so let's add the idea of covering something recorded by The Mothers of Invention or Frank Zappa. FZ's material can get a little rank, so please choose something you wouldn't mind playing for your mother if you choose a Mothers or FZ tune.

Usual rules.
1. You must be a performer on the recording, singing and/or playing one or more musical instruments. Please, no golden oldies. Let's keep it to something you are recording specifically for the challenge or a very recent recording.
2. Please don't post links to recordings that are not of you.
7. You may disregard the theme of the month and record anything you want.
Addendum: Rule 7a. Henceforth known as the @JohnHurley rule: "Songs about cleveland? Covers of funky poodle by the wild horses? Dreams of madness?"

Please post your links in this thread. Thanks!

Elwood

Blues
Guess I'll have to take a ride through Beverly Hills, just before dawn. 1714688520441.png

Now the entry rules beg a question...are "golden oldies" acceptable and appropriate if the are freshly recorded by the offending party member/performer?

I am pleased that good ol # 7 has been associated primarily with another member! You go @JohnHurley :Beer::Beer::Beer:

Now who amongst us really has the chutzpa to take on a Zappa tune? That could be interesting! Very interestink!!!
1714689171856.png

PapaRaptor

Dancin' Fool
Staff member
Now the entry rules beg a question...are "golden oldies" acceptable and appropriate if the are freshly recorded by the offending party member/performer?
I should clarify that. By "golden oldies" I mean, don't drag out a 20 year old recording that may have been done on a victor talking machine. Doing a fresh cover of a really old song is not only acceptable, but strongly encouraged.

Elwood

Blues
I should clarify that. By "golden oldies" I mean, don't drag out a 20 year old recording that may have been done on a victor talking machine. Doing a fresh cover of a really old song is not only acceptable, but strongly encouraged.
That's great! Even if I try to record a new song it still sounds like an old one. So why bother? I just mangle old tunes or make something up, unless I don't. :)

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
Sounds like a fun night there!!!

Yeah so much i was hoping to get braylon to agree he was oldest but he said no im not quite so sure …

Song better with drummer but Susan ( our drummer ) was sitting upstairs with my wife it was a little too loose maybe but Kathy was feeling it so we rocked it up pretty good

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
As most of you know, I write and record original songs.
I wrote this a short time ago for Mother's Day and released it with a female singer.....much better than me!

I wanted to offer it up for this month's challenge so, I did a version with just me on guitar and vocals.
I've been under the weather with some health issues as of late so, neither my playing or vocals are up to par but it felt good to get something done.

Here ya go:
Mother's Day

Here's the original with a female vocal.

Mother's Day

Last edited:

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
NOT for AI training 4FF1-0002

Here is one that I originally composed for an animated short in Jan. but it was rejected (I seem to be getting rejected a lot lately):rolleyes:

I hope it is acceptable for this challenge because it was dedicated to mom because she liked chamber music (and Simon and Garfunkel, but that is another story :) ) It’s less than a minute and a half long so even if you dislike chamber music give it a try. I played it with a midi keyboard into Sibelius.

Eric

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
I had thought that I would be taking this month off for the challenge, but this song came up on my playlist late last week and I thought that I could sneak it in under the rules for Mother's Day (my wife is the mother of our children). I mean how many Mother's Day songs talk about murder, bodyguards, machine guns, fast cars, too much to drink plus tanks and aeroplanes?:unsure:

I did the guitars, bass and vocals. The drums and horns are from the original recording.

My Wife