Just purchased this course

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I've never " drank the kool aid" on CAGED, so this is one of the few Griff courses I don't have.

For the guys that have dug into this a little - what do you think?

Kevin
I am very much struggling with it, so instead of doing it fully, I practice it during warm up.......for me, it is helping to see chord options. As of now, I use the standard 7th or 9 chords, being able to quickly identify a shape, without moving all over the neck is something I am hoping for

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
I've never " drank the kool aid" on CAGED, so this is one of the few Griff courses I don't have.

For the guys that have dug into this a little - what do you think?

Kevin

Kevin you need to understand what the CAGED system is about. I think of it like... well here is an example from a color blindness test:

Think of the fretboard like this, an incomprehensible jumble (I know it's a grid, but hang in with me for a sec...)

Screenshot 2016-12-31 16.11.07.png

but, if you put a color filter over the jumble, you will see this:

Screenshot 2016-12-31 16.10.39.png

put a different color filter over it and you will see this:

Screenshot 2016-12-31 16.15.43.png

The 5 and the 3 are always there in the first picture but without a filter they are hard to spot.

Now, think of a fretboard visualization system. One we know already is the 5 boxes. That is a filter for the fretboard, it takes that jumble of a grid and makes it understandable.

Now, think of a different visualization system. The CAGED system. It is a DIFFERENT filter that takes the jumble of a grid and let's you see the fretboard differently than the boxes do. Like the 5 and the 3 above. If you only use the "boxes" filter you may only see the 5.

Does that make sense?

It's not about playing but about visualizing WHAT you can play, and WHERE you can find it on the fretboard.

Eric

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
You're welcome. :) But like Griff says SRV only played boxes one and two and made some pretty good tunes. There is a whole lot of music in the boxes.

Another thing, if all you play is the blues those notes in the "3" may take you out of it. CAGED is really used heavily in Jazz and Country and Bluegrass, as well as Pop music. From the Doobie Brothers to Jimmy Page its been used in Rock music a lot too (ever wonder where all those cool, non-barre chord voicings come from?).

CAGED is basically playing the 5 open shapes and going up the neck with a capo so transposing melodies is really easy (Bluegrass uses the capo heavily) too. If you can play a melody in the open position you can just move it up the neck easily, once you understand the shapes and how they fit together.

Eric

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Kevin you need to understand what the CAGED system is about. I think of it like... well here is an example from a color blindness test:

Think of the fretboard like this, an incomprehensible jumble (I know it's a grid, but hang in with me for a sec...)

View attachment 1984

but, if you put a color filter over the jumble, you will see this:

View attachment 1985

put a different color filter over it and you will see this:

View attachment 1986

The 5 and the 3 are always there in the first picture but without a filter they are hard to spot.

Now, think of a fretboard visualization system. One we know already is the 5 boxes. That is a filter for the fretboard, it takes that jumble of a grid and makes it understandable.

Now, think of a different visualization system. The CAGED system. It is a DIFFERENT filter that takes the jumble of a grid and let's you see the fretboard differently than the boxes do. Like the 5 and the 3 above. If you only use the "boxes" filter you may only see the 5.

Does that make sense?

It's not about playing but about visualizing WHAT you can play, and WHERE you can find it on the fretboard.

Eric

Great analogy!

mpaq

Canfield, Ontario, Canada
Great analogy!

Yea i thought so too Eric...i dont have binocular vision though, so ive always sucked at those kinds of tests....3D movies are ineffective for me as well....so in a way i guess i have a valid excuse for not "seeing" the fretboard ;) . But ive memorized the boxes and i have a natural ear to guide me...ok so far for soloing but chords on the fly and root positions is my motivation for buying this course. Really hoping for some aha moments to take me to the next level. Just hope it doesnt end up being shelfware...i dont return anything or ask for price protection (ive learned to never buy anything until holidays come around). Just my way of supporting Griff and the site.

mpaq

Canfield, Ontario, Canada
well i dont have a particular light bulb moment to report yet, but I definately see the potential in this course. I was watching an interview with Walter Trout a while back and he was talking about his light bulb moment when he was starting out and it was this concept of soloing around various chord inversions which can be easily found up and down the neck by using your index finger as "the nut". I now realize he was talking about CAGED !
So im optimistic but this is going to take a very long time to be able to do on autopilot...Seems to be a general rule of thumb for me where theory is concerned...whatever concept takes a couple hours to understand will usually take a couple years to master and apply :unsure: