Jamming???

C

cgidyk

I'm a bit nervous about my upcoming first Jam.

I have heard time and again that to really expidite the learning process you have to get out and JAM!! That is all fine and good. But asside from regergitating what I have learned in BBG. I'm not sure what else to do.

The answer to this question is likely in BBG, but I will ask it anyhow. We have learned a few notes in BBG, and a few strumming patterns with a few choice chords. Is there a few choice 12 bar patterns that better fit the notes we have learned for soloing?

For example: Is there a prefered pattern I can play and record. Then play that loop and improvise some solo's. All of this using what we have learned in BBG. Or maybe ask my friend to play the pattern and I solo, then vise versa.

Chris

wgabree

Blues Newbie
Blues in A & E are a MUST - you can play a lot of songs with these under your fingers:

Pages 34 & 35

You really can't know ahead of time what you'll encounter in a jam - each one is different.

Cut yourself some slack and just enjoy it!  You'll learn more from the jam itself than preparing for it.  Don't worry - just enjoy!  Musicians are usually a very helpful bunch and they should extend some help to get you going.

:cool:

gpower

Blues Junior
Don't stress over it man! If you stick to 12 bar Blues and work whatever patterns you're comfortable with, you'll have fun.

Russ

Blues Newbie
Sounds to me like you better buy the Soloing without Scales course that Griff has for sale!

C

cgidyk

Thanks guys. I'm a bit of a planner and like to be a quick learner at most things I try. The learning curve is taking a little longer than I had thought it would. I'm not sure why I thought it would be easier. I'll try to enjoy the ride a little more.

The notes we learned in "Sitting Easy Blues" and some of the other material we practiced look like they are part of a blues scale. Are they? And if they are - what is the scale?

These little lic's along with variations of them are what I thought I could practice along with one of the 12 bar blues patterns.

gpower

Blues Junior
One thing I play around with often, is to take 4 notes, any 4 notes, (sound familiar), from any position of the Pentatonic pattern, and try to do as much with them as I can come up with.

Rue

Blues Newbie
I totally agree with Wayne that it's a must to know 12 bar  blues in E  and A...
then what I have found is most songs done at jams are in the keys of C, or D, or G..   if you know the chords to those keys and the E an A  12 bar you should have enough to work with without trying to do a solo if you're not ready.
I have found music to be an ongoing learning process with a new learning curve right around every corner.  :)   good luck

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Thanks guys. I'm a bit of a planner and like to be a quick learner at most things I try. The learning curve is taking a little longer than I had thought it would. I'm not sure why I thought it would be easier. I'll try to enjoy the ride a little more.

The notes we learned in "Sitting Easy Blues" and some of the other material we practiced look like they are part of a blues scale. Are they? And if they are - what is the scale?

These little lic's along with variations of them are what I thought I could practice along with one of the 12 bar blues patterns.
I don't have the book in front of me right now, but the simple answer is yes they come from a scale. As do all licks.
You are jumping way ahead with this, since BBG is very basic. In BGU you will learn the scales and the 5 boxes. In SWS, you will learn to take small 4 or 5 note pieces of scales and do a tone of soloing with them.
I'm not saying that you shouldn't jump into soloing if you are ready, just try not to take so big a bite that you get frustrated.
As long as you can make the chord changes in time, you are ready to jam. Maybe not solo, but someone has to play chords, right?

KevenKanten

Blues Newbie
I, like CJ, I think are anxious to get going to the point of performing.

I have to admit never even seeing and open mike or jam session. I've never even played with anyone but a record or the Griff DVDs.

But, before making any commitment to do an open mike, I intend to visit the local club near my place (when the bitter cold lets up! I can live with the ton of snow, but this -20 and colder is getting old) to see what others do.

On the other hand, I've been working on my own playlist so I'm ready to carry my own show.

But I'm in the BBG too and after I post the recorded lessons I hope you guys will tell me how I'm doing and if I should move onto the BGU. My time line goal is hopefully later this summer to try the open mike. Of course, its a music holiday in 2012 to Memphis and Nashville I'm working towards.  :-[

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member
We'll surely let you know Kevin.  I get anxious too sometimes but I realize my day to get there will come.

The first time I ever played with anyone was at Alan's Mid Atlantic BGU jam.

Mt next opportunity will be at Griff's. I'd like to find an open mic night at one of my travel locations too, but there isn't much of an opportunity in the circles I travel right now.

Oh, and I hear you on the cold! It's not Edmunton here in Indiana, but it sure is cold and I'm so over it for this year already! It does seem to lend to more practice time though! :)

giayank

Just another day in paradise
      cj i have found when i jam with other people sometimes i have to watch and see whats going on and other times i'm playing music i had never played before.to me that's the fun ot it's all new sometimes very frustrating and sometimes a real life changing event .my advise run with it and see what happens.
    just to mention about the learning curve sometimes it seems to go backwards too. at least for me it does. those are the times i go back to basics and just play what i know and can do well so i don't get to frustrated and down about my inability to play the music i want to play.keep practicing it really helps.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I'd strongly urge those of you that feel you are ready for it (part way through BBG or into BGU) to search for local players looking for others to play wiht. I've had good success with Craigs list and meetup.com.

Russ

Blues Newbie
To answer your question, Lick #3 of the 2nd lick group is th E scale, with a repeat in the middle (D string (4th string) second #2) to make the beats come out correctly.
Lick #3, page 17, Audio track #10

------------------------------------0-3-0
-------------------------------0-3-------
------------------0----0-2-3-------------
-------------0-2----2--------------------
------0-1-2------------------------------
-0-3-------------------------------------

Alexander Blue

Surfers Rule !!!
Hey Chris,
                    [glow=yellow,2,300]GREAT QUESTION[/glow]

and Wayne : [glow=yellow,2,300]GREAT ANSWER[/glow] ... 

and Russ :  I agree ... Soloing Without Scales is a great course ... I will be one [glow=yellow,2,300]EXTREMELY[/glow] happy boy when I can play the last solo in this course ... listen to Tater's rendition and it blows me away ...

Good luck with it Chris   [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
I'm a bit nervous about my upcoming first Jam.

I have heard time and again that to really expidite the learning process you have to get out and JAM!! That is all fine and good. [glow=yellow,2,300]But asside from regergitating what I have learned in BBG. I'm not sure what else to do.[/glow]

The answer to this question is likely in BBG, but I will ask it anyhow. We have learned a few notes in BBG, and a few strumming patterns with a few choice chords. Is there a few choice 12 bar patterns that better fit the notes we have learned for soloing?

For example: Is there a prefered pattern I can play and record. Then play that loop and improvise some solo's. All of this using what we have learned in BBG. Or maybe ask my friend to play the pattern and I solo, then vise versa.

Chris
In reading this post again I just realized that what I highlighted is the key. Don't think of it as regurgitationg the material... you are using it.

If I got back to my analogy of a baby learning to talk it's the same thing... copy and repeat. Copy the licks from BBG, copy the chord patterns, copy the riffs, and absolutely play them back at the jam.

You will need to experiment and find out where you like them to fit best... and this is why jamming is such a great tool. It's like force-feeding you experience which is always your best teacher.

But remember that you learned all that stuff to use it, not to play something else. Even the first lick from the Sitting Easy Blues can be played over Blues in E and it will sound just fine. If you do nothing but take those 1st 4 licks and play them in various orders, you'll have something good.

In fact, I think that sounds like a good challenge. I'm going to see what happens and video it. I'll get back to you.

Griff

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Alright... check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-ayUEmr38s

Russ

Blues Newbie
Show off!  :eek:

No wait! You're the teacher. That's a good thing!  ;D  ;D

Wow man, you should sticky and lock this thread. That was such a good example. It made total sense and gave me new cause to memorize the licks. Man, I love this forum. :D
My biggest fear is playing different keys by accident.

Spencer

Blues Newbie
That was awesome. I run through BBG often, but never like that. Now it's kinda like looking at it a whole new way. Very cool that you whipped out the acoustic for it too. Who would have the thought the very first "easy" lesson from BBG could sound so advanced?? Thanks for the eye opener.

M

mw1954

Wow ! How cool . After finishing BBG and finding BGU a much bigger challenge , what a great example of how to take the things we/I learned in BBG and actually apply them . Also a testimony to you as a teacher . To take the time to recognize the challenges we all face , regardless of our skill level , and help us apply what we have learned with no monetary motives to you . Thanks for that .

I

i.hunt

When I watched the vid I immediately recognized what I been learning... coolio  :cool: