Funny Thing about Gear

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
There was another guitar forum that I was pretty active on 15 years ago. I finally quit that one because its core group of people appeared to be doing everything they could to run off anyone that was new, the owner was constantly begging for money, and the general attitude of the forum (which was very much supported by those core members) was, to quote the Rolling Stones, "he can't be a man cause he doesn't smoke the same cigarettes as me." I saw them brow-beat folks on several occasions to tell them that their Strat wasn't actually a Strat because it didn't have Fender on the headstock.

To answer Mark's question, I tend to gravitate to some brands because I've had good luck with them, but my loyalty only lasts as long as my luck with them does. I am also to that point where I like what I like and know that others like what they like, and if it's not a matter of right and wrong, who really cares if we agree or disagree. Differences in opinion aren't usually worth the headache, especially when it comes to something as inane as what guitar and amp I like.

That said, my gear is better than all y'all's gear. My Epiphone sounds and plays better than your Gibson. My Gibson sounds and plays better than your Epiphone. And if you don't play Blackheart amps, then your tone suuuuucks monkey butt. So you should go ahead and just sell all your gear because you'll never be the rock star that Shiner (my dog) thinks I am. :whistle::ROFLMAO:

Well that's what I meant about maturity.

It's not that maturity means I can't have a difference of opinion or that I can't have a good old fashioned knock down drag out fight about something (which I love btw).

What it means is that after all the arguing I can agree to disagree with someone (unless of course they believe the earth is flat in which case they're just a class A moron) and then wish them a good evening until next we meet.

No flaming, no character assassination -- just a friendly exchange of opinions.

Why is that so hard for many people to do these days?

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
And Billy Squire... really? ;)

Hells to the yeah............puts on a great show, and when I met him, came across as a sincere nice guy. But, to be fair, I never wanted to be a musician. Guys who care about perfect technique, and proper theory, and the way music works, peace and I am happy if that is their thing.

For me, it was always the show, I never wanted to be a proper musician, I wanted to be a performer. I wanted the outfits, the look, the lights........... my first guitar hero was Ace Frehley, so I dig the guys with showmanship

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
That said, my gear is better than all y'all's gear. My Epiphone sounds and plays better than your Gibson. My Gibson sounds and plays better than your Epiphone. And if you don't play Blackheart amps, then your tone suuuuucks monkey butt. So you should go ahead and just sell all your gear because you'll never be the rock star that Shiner (my dog) thinks I am. :whistle::ROFLMAO:

Well, you dont have a Buggera amp,so sorry, cant be as cool as me of course.....lol

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I never wanted to be a proper musician, I wanted to be a performer

This cuts to the basis of my own interest in all this. I couldn't hang with that acoustic guitar group I was in for a while, they were all about technique and fancy chords and I just wanted to hang out and play. It's why I took to the open mic scene here so strongly, just hanging out with other players and sharing energy on the stage (and drinking beer).

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
And if you don't play Blackheart amps, then your tone suuuuucks monkey butt. So you should go ahead and just sell all your gear because you'll never be the rock star that Shiner (my dog) thinks I am. :whistle::ROFLMAO:

My dog spends a lot of time with me in the basement ... I think that she is worried the guitar is fighting me and winning and shes ready to get involved.

I do not think however she believes I am a rock star. I do feed her 98 percent of the time and well thats important to her.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Hells to the yeah............puts on a great show, and when I met him, came across as a sincere nice guy. But, to be fair, I never wanted to be a musician. Guys who care about perfect technique, and proper theory, and the way music works, peace and I am happy if that is their thing.

For me, it was always the show, I never wanted to be a proper musician, I wanted to be a performer. I wanted the outfits, the look, the lights........... my first guitar hero was Ace Frehley, so I dig the guys with showmanship

Oh yeah, that reminds me. The guy from Backline Studios called. He was pretty worked up but it sounded like he saying that I can't host any more jams there unless you stop insisting on wearing all that spandex. Something about the other bands finding it too distracting. :eek:

Last edited:

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Oh yeah, that reminds me. The guy from Backline Studios called. He was pretty worked up but it sounded like he saying that I can't host any more jams there unless you stop insisting on wearing all that spandex. Something about the other bands finding it too distracting. :eek:
I can understand that, I mean who wouldn't find a middle aged guy with man boobs and a disappearing butt hot

I mean, since the wife's vision has been going bad, she says I am much sexier

Elio

Student Of The Blues
My dog spends a lot of time with me in the basement ... I think that she is worried the guitar is fighting me and winning and shes ready to get involved.

I do not think however she believes I am a rock star. I do feed her 98 percent of the time and well thats important to her.

My dog totally knows that I'm a rock star. She also knows when to walk out during a bad show!

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
True confession: when I first saw that name I didn't know who it was and in my mind confused him with Billy Idol, whom I had heard of. I've been edumacated now. :Beer:
Billy Squire could write good hooks and knew how to work a crowd.

I was never a real Billy Idol fan, I liked Steve Stevens as a guitar player (Best known for the Top Gun theme), but Idols music just never made me want to drive 110mph in my jacked up Chevy Nova singing along at the top of my lungs

Mickey Duane

Used To Be A Rock Star
Only one of my cats comes around when I practice, and he just wants to climb into my lap (which means my having to stop, which might be what he's really after).

My wife's 2 cats usually hide under the bed when I play -

but that is because I believe it might be a bit too loud

I told them everything is only on 7 - not even maxed out yet so deal with it!!

Peace