Chris G Lesson 6

ChrisG

Blues Newbie
Man...this lesson seems so easy on the surface but trying to play it in time with the jam track has been the toughest lesson for me so far....I recorded what is my best version so far but it's still not right...I thought maybe I'd ask for some feedback from the forum as to where am I off....too slow...to fast....not holding notes long enough....sounds like crap to me!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/146400552/BGU%20Lesson%206%20040414.mp3

Ivan

Blues Newbie
You're hitting all the notes nice and clean Chris. It does sound like you are just a fraction late. I wonder if it's a latency  problem. If it isn't try counting out loud or tapping  your foot to the beat.
Other than that it does sound pretty cool!

[smiley=beer.gif]

ChrisG

Blues Newbie
Thanks guys.  It's weird cause when I play it with the backing track at full speed I sound like I'm right on time with Griff.  When I record I'm off a bit....the recording has to be telling the truth....

I'm gonna keep at it.

Thanks guys.  It's weird cause when I play it with the backing track at full speed I sound like I'm right on time with Griff.  When I record I'm off a bit....the recording has to be telling the truth....

Not necessarily.  As someone before said, it could be latency in your system.  Depending upon your computer, the operating systems, the recording software and the audio interface; you may need to make some adjustments.

This video may help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5KMsY1wC9s

Also do a web search on  "latency audio recording"  and compare your setup with solutions found.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
There might be a bit of latency in there , but it's not all latency. I can hear places where you are ahead of the beat and others where you are pretty much in time.
I find this type of thing happening to me too when I try to record. to me it seems like the music is playing me rather than the other way around.
When this happens I need to relax, and not force the playing. I need to really listen more to the backing track and less to my own playing.

Chris it helped me to go listen to Freddie King, Eric Clapton, Jeff Healy and others play I'm Tore Down on youtube.  You are hitting the notes cleanly and making the chord transitions quickly.  This lesson 6 has several new challenges, you are improving and making progress!