Chord differences

henryj

Blues Newbie
OK I am new to this whole music thing but learning and having fun.  I notice in Griff's BBG book he shows the chords one way and other books and charts show the same cord another way.  For example I have three charts showing 3 ways to play an E7.

Can some one enlighten me?  I figure this is something I will learn later and shouldn't worry about it now but it still leaves me in a quandary.

Hutch

P

propanemike

Is it at the start of bbg ?those are only half chords not a full fingering of the chord.As you get deeper it to the book and your fingers loosen up you will be forming full chords

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
In this case everyone's right. At the beginning of the course I keep the chords smaller and more manageable. Also, there's more than one way to play any chord. The chord shapes I chose are the most common. The ones in chord books are all possible, but not always (or even usually) all that useful.

I don't want to get into the theoretical reasons why, but if you can play a G chord 5 different ways, in all likelihood only 1 or 2 will really sound good. Those are the ones I stick with.

Griff

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
Hutch,

You will have way too much fun with the chords....so many different ways to play the same thing....think of it as different flavors of ice cream....check out this site.....I use the "name finder" to identify "chords" that sound good but I don't know the name of.....

http://www.gootar.com

later.

cowboy

B

bplavoie

Someone will dope slap me if I'm wrong, but...

All chord are comprised of notes out of the appropriate scale. If you want the play a C major chord, for example, you're got to get the root note (C), the 3rd note up on the C major scale (E) and the 5th note (G). Those are the only notes you want. Now take a look at your fretboard and find all of the Cs, Es and Gs, and figure out all the different ways you could combine them with one hand. That's why there are so many possible fingerings of C (and every other) chord. You're only limited by the length and flexibility of your fingers!  

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
That's it int a nutshell. There ARE chords with more than three, 7th chords for instance, but your basic major, minor yep. You got it.