Barre chords challenge

560sdl

Blues Newbie
Acoustics are definitely tougher and it is all the more reason to make sure they are set up right.  I had a cheap Yamaha Acoustic that I have long since given to my son.  His roomate plays it because it is easier to play than his acoustic.  I gave up playing it because it was so hard to play.  

Last weekend I went to visit my son at college and picked up this guitar and played it a bit.  I could barely hold a barre chord at all.  Really tough.  

J

jhagan421

I have a sort of mid range Yamaha - I like it, imagine how good I'll be when I shell out for something better ;).  It has a fairly large body, and good volume.  Ive gone from 13's to 11's and not noticed any difference, actually if anything as I improve I think get more out of it. I'm not great at barres, but it's coming along - just playing them, not progressions- definately easier with the lower guage - but everything is, speed, bends, slides, everything.

L

Lame_Pinky

I use to play 12 bar's over & over when I 1st started playing to get comfortable with barre chords usually in Bb or C then slowly work back - towards the head.The big challenge was B on the 2nd fret & getting all the strings to sound ( Bb/A# for that matter ) I use to play a 12 bar in open E as the I chord open A the IV & the B the V chord.It took a while as its quite a stretch but I got there.
Now that I've taken up guitar again I am doing the same again though i do not have many problems with with barre chords  its just getting use to it all again & getting it locked back into the memory banks.This time though I do not plan on closing that bank !

LP