AAP Suggestion - Stepping Over the Line from UJ - solo and comping ideas

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Been playing with this jam track the last couple days, and it has me scratching my head. Here are my specific questions about it.
  • Song analysis and comping ideas: It has that walking bass groove that implies (to me) all these chords other than just the I, IV, and V. Truth to tell, I hear you playing some of those other chords in the background - at least I think you are. What other chords could be substituted, and how do determine what those are? I think the actual comping would come if I wasn't so busy trying to figure out the alternate chords.
  • Solo ideas: Because of that walking bass and possibility of other chords, I've been trying a LOT of leading and passing tones. Problem is, even though I'm playing lots of different notes, when I listen back, it's all sounding the same...it's the same 3 or 4 ideas repeated over an over just with different notes plugged in. I'm guessing this would also be prime opportunity to do that thing you talk about where you start off complicated and with lots of notes, and the last time through pare it back to just the minor pent and stick with that?

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
I'm having a senior moment... UJ? Do you mean the track on UBJ which is based on "Across The Line" by Robert Cray?

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Totally my fault...for some reason, the folder where they live on my computer is just called Ultimate Jams instead of Ultimate Blues Jams. I should fix that.

And that's the track. And glad to know it's Robert Cray. I had it noted as Across the Line, but when I googled it, it kept coming back to a Linkin Park song. Now I can go give it a listen too.