A Newbies experiences with recording.

G

Glennpiearcey

Many of the generous welcome notes, as a newbie to the forum, suggested I add recording samples.... which is a new venture for me..... but I thought it might be a good way to analyse my practice... so I've been giving it a whirl....

Herewith my experiences to date...:

This is all new to me so I've been struggling with various software options to put together a few sample recordings... Using a Fender Mustang IV... already done all the drivers, ASIO 'n stuff & set the Mustang as input device but these manuals seem to be written for self-gratification to show how clever the software & it's creators are..., rather than user friendliness.

I eventually plugged the mp3-player into the effects-loop-return pushed the backing tracks through the same circuit as the guitar & gives a richer, more balanced sound than the aux input (which doesn't get output via the usb for recording)..... Still didn't get the Mustang USB-port to output direct to the PC... it only puts out the guitar and no backing track.

Have now given up on the simplest option of one-take recordings... (me + backing-track through a single input) it just ain't gonna happen with the kit I've got.

Have tried n-Track studio & Ableton-lite. These software tools do seem needlessly complicated when all I want is to record from a single input... My objective is to analyse/critique my own practice session..... not generate a complex multi-track project for studio production!!!.

Tried Audacity next but I seem to have acquired a cut-down version which just didn't have the functionality I needed..... and while investigating the upgrade option, it seems very similar to the other two.

Eventually, on advice from a Norwegian friend whom I met in Spain, (ex-music business owner [& instrument repairs] & now a quite-good blues guitarist himself)... I have now settled on Acid..... NOT what you're thinkin'....  I haven't gone totally “rock-n-Roll” quite yet !!!...

Acid-Pro recording software.... Have initially picked up their free-lite version Acid-Express... and so far, it's doing the business, at least in the simplistic role I'm looking for just now.

It is quite easy to add new tracks or part tracks & edit them together although my initial recording efforts are one-take efforts, laying the guitar solo over the backing track.  Needs a bit of manual adjustment to synchronise the backing track with the recorded solo, which is a bit of guesswork but at least I achieved some basic compilations.

I admit to losing some concentration while soloing & trying to keep an eye on the recording software at the same time …. so there are a few more fluffed notes than usual in there but at least I now have a few samples to share.

….. All I need now is to learn how to share them with the forum..... Any ideas / advice out there for a novice to uploading & sharing????

Cyberthrasher_706

Blues Newbie
Sorry I haven't read your entire post - running late to a meeting. From the few things I did gather, I'd suggest running your mustang amp into your computer and recording with the totally free Audacity (very simple to use and create pro sounding recordings). Most of those bigger software packages do way too much and will distract you from your learning process if your only goal is to make a track to share with friends. I've used many of them and time and time again I come back to Audacity for the quick and easy recordings that don't require studio quality. Take a look at my guide here on how to use the Mustang to record

http://www.4shared.com/document/iJtkqei-/Recording_with_Fender_Mustang.html

Once you have a recording you want to share, you can post it to the site that that document is on (make sure it's in mp3 format by using the LAME encoder in Audactiy). Hopefully I'll get to read your post thoroughly in a little while.

Marv

I play 'err' guitar.
If Acid is producing MP3 files you like, that's great. Skip to step 4 below.

I haven't read the documentation above, but I have to agree, using Audacity is simpler than it looks.

Step 1: "Open" the backing track into Audacity.  It will receive its own track.

Step 2: Record your take.  This automatically adds a new track alongside the backing track.  I have used my Mustang with a line from the headphone jack into the line in/mic jack on my PC and also with the USB connection.  You must tell Audacity which input device you are using under "Preferences".

You can adjust the relative volume of your newly recorded track during playback until you have a sound mix you like.

Hate the new track?  Delete it using the "X" and re-record until satisfied.  (This can lead to hours of practice.)

Step 3: Export to MP3 file. Yes, you must have the Lame Encoder installed.  It's as simple as downloading and installing it (link on the Audacity site), then (once), pointing Audacity to where it resides on your computer.

Step 4: Upload to a shared data site.  Most of us are using 4shared.com because it's free.  Annoying sometimes, but free.  The site is pretty self-explanatory, but ask if you don't understand something.

Check out the Recording Tips and Tricks section down near the bottom of the forum or just ask about anything you don't understand.

Cyberthrasher_706

Blues Newbie
Ok, so after reading your post all the way through, I see you tried Audacity. Make sure you have the version on this page and also download the "Optional Download" of the LAME mp3 Encoder. This is the same version that almost EVERYBODY on this forum uses for the same purposes you're looking for, and then some (it has all the features I need for most things). Actually, I'm wondering if you really even have Audacity because there shouldn't be an "upgraded" version that's any different (the way you worded it sounds like there's a paid upgrade) because the same thing is available for free to everybody. That's the beauty of OpenSource software.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/beta_windows

Now, I don't know how to get the Mustang to output your backing track through the USB interface and it's really not necessary with Audacity. Just open your backing track with Audacity and it will have its own track right there. Then you just hit record when you're ready to start and it will start a brand new track automatically and it will be in synch with your backing track. Once you're done, export it to mp3 and upload away.

G

Glennpiearcey

Thanks for the advice guys... much appreciated.
I have created a few one-take tracks with Acid & rendered them to mp3 format, so I will try to get them uploaded later (complete with fluffed-notes for the time being.... at least I can hear where I'm going wrong now).
I will have another look at Audacity as well, coz if that resolves the Synch problem it will be a plus.
I'll let you know how I get on..... Thanks again.

G

Glennpiearcey

Oh well.... here goes.....
First recording attempts.... I admit to quite a few fluffed notes, being distracted by the recording process itself.... but hopefully I can improve on that in time as the recording process becomes more familiar.
Four of these are covers, using backing tracks, of Gary Moore & Eric Clapton numbers. The rest are just improvisations over backing tracks I've acquired from KOTB & this forum (less than a year ago, I wouldn't have known where to start improvising/soloing)
This is much an exercise in using/learning-about the recording software & the upload-sharing facility as anything.... but such as it is, and for what it's worth, fluffed notes 'n all..... this is me !! … & although I've still got a long way to go......, thanks Griff..!!  :eek:))

http://www.4shared.com/audio/43nyxEdx/A_Blues_Minor.html
http://www.4shared.com/audio/aS6ILmM6/All_Your_Love.html
http://www.4shared.com/audio/e-Wk4oqF/Get_On_Down.html
http://www.4shared.com/audio/oDI8qRCL/A_Sultry_40_Degrees.html
http://www.4shared.com/audio/qb_EviL2/Wonderful_Tonight.html
http://www.4shared.com/audio/Bn--moDu/Devil-Ride.html
http://www.4shared.com/audio/bH2XI_5P/Still_Got_The_Blues_For_You.html
http://www.4shared.com/audio/lbyuVGc9/Traffic_Jammin.html
http://www.4shared.com/audio/6zlY99Pq/Walkin_By_Myself.html

Dunno if this is quite the right place for this.... but as I'm still following the "learning about recording" thread, it's a start.

Thatman

Playin' for the fun of it.
Seems as though you've got this recording caper of to a fine art Glenn, and your playing is real good listening. Particularly liked Wonderful Tonight.  :cool:

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
Glenn....great playing and recordings...."Still Got the Blues For You" is one of my favorites and you did a fantastic job....will have to listen to the rest....again..great playing...later.

cowboy

FishKiller

Blues Newbie
[glow=yellow,2,300]Glenn....great playing and recordings[glow=yellow,2,300]...."Still Got the Blues For You" is one of my favorites and you did a fantastic job[/glow]....[/glow]will have to listen to the rest....again..great playing...later.

cowboy
Muy bueno Glen, [smiley=thumbsup.gif] I just listened to still got the blues, good stuff will listen to rest later. :)
Carlos

G

Glennpiearcey

Don't get me wrong "Muddy Fox".... I have played before as an amateur but no solos & not the blues.... maybe this extract from my intro-note will reassure you:
[glow=yellow,2,300]I used to play rhythm guitar/bass for small ballroom dance-bands years ago (in my early 20's). self-taught, never had any music lessons. I stopped playing gigs & sold my guitars/kit when the kids were born & the demands of work/domestic life increased.

Then my wife & daughters bought me a decent guitar for my 60th birthday & I started up again but this time learning all the stuff I really enjoyed... rock/blues..... but quickly hit the wall of lack of skill, technique & knowledge.... before I saw some of Griff's on-line lessons.

I'm now retired & for some reason, Griff's lessons & teaching-style/methods really clicked with me... I've since been through the “Blues Guitar Unlimited” and “Slow Blues Supplement” courses and have just worked through the “Guitar Theory”  course....[/glow]

I picked up on Griff's stuff nearly a year ago now & something about his teachng style just clicked.... That's the "only-a-year" bit... please don't be disillusioned.... it's how you feel & how you enjoy making the music that matters... for you !  no-one else..... there can be passion in simplicity or it can eventually become more complex as your skills give you more to express yourself with.... it's still from the heart & soul at whatever level........ OK .. Sermon over.... I don't usually wax quite as lyrical as that... Sorry  ::)

MuddyFox

Blues Newbie
Missed your intro, it would seem...  ::)

All those years around music and instruments have apparently served you well, I'm not only commenting on your evident skill but also on your ability to not do "scaley" solos but to actually give it your own voice and make it interesting.

Propz on that and since I missed your intro bit, welcome to the forum!  [smiley=beer.gif]

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
Don't get me wrong "Muddy Fox".... I have played before as an amateur but no solos & not the blues.... maybe this extract from my intro-note will reassure you:
[glow=yellow,2,300]I used to play rhythm guitar/bass for small ballroom dance-bands years ago (in my early 20's). self-taught, never had any music lessons. I stopped playing gigs & sold my guitars/kit when the kids were born & the demands of work/domestic life increased.

Then my wife & daughters bought me a decent guitar for my 60th birthday & I started up again but this time learning all the stuff I really enjoyed... rock/blues..... but quickly hit the wall of lack of skill, technique & knowledge.... before I saw some of Griff's on-line lessons.

I'm now retired & for some reason, Griff's lessons & teaching-style/methods really clicked with me... I've since been through the “Blues Guitar Unlimited” and “Slow Blues Supplement” courses and have just worked through the “Guitar Theory”  course....[/glow]

I picked up on Griff's stuff nearly a year ago now & something about his teachng style just clicked.... That's the "only-a-year" bit... please don't be disillusioned.... it's how you feel & how you enjoy making the music that matters... for you !  no-one else..... there can be passion in simplicity or it can eventually become more complex as your skills give you more to express yourself with.... it's still from the heart & soul at whatever level........ OK .. Sermon over.... I don't usually wax quite as lyrical as that... Sorry  ::)

Glenn,

our stories are kinda parallel....I'm seven months away from retiring...great to have you here.. [smiley=beer.gif]....you are gonna have way too much fun...later.

cowboy

BBOP

Blues Newbie
right on Glenn!!
gonna listen to them as the evening goes on for breaks!! listened to your A minor blues and you have a nice smooth style and sound is great!! another warrior ready for the basement!!  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

rog [smiley=beer.gif]

sloslunas

NM Blues
Okay Glenn...listened to a few more of your recordings...who are you trying to kid with the newbie moniker?? You really sound good...keep 'em coming!

G

Glennpiearcey

Well .... new to the BGU forum (new to all forums actually), new to recording, new to uploading/sharing & new to playing the blues, soloing & improvising.... but thanks for the encouragement (& yet again, thanks to Griff for making it possible), will keep practising...  [smiley=beer.gif]

Have just found a few collaborations on the forum so will try my hand at one or two of those... really interesting to listen to other peoples take & style on a new backing track. Great learning experience.

T

tagruvto

Hey Glenn - really enjoying listening to your recordings.
I think it's fantastic to hear all these stories about folks finding Griff's lessons and getting into ( or back into) music.  Way to go!  I look forward to hearing more of your playing.