Warm up example 3

L

Lame_Pinkey

oh thats the 12-11-10-9 etc etc warm up yeah showing off for sure.I think Johnny Winter & Jimi Hendrix could but they have fingers like Martians & would be easy.
I looked at it gave it a try had a laugh - removed that page & flushed it !

LP 

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I can do it for a few frets, but not very clean on any of them. I hope this is another one of those lessons that, when I start, I feel "I'll never be able to do that" then, somewhere down the road, I find " Oh I guess I CAN do that".

Wylo

Blues Newbie
This is an invaluable warmup drill. After a couple of weeks of daily practice, you'll be able to open two twist-off beer bottles at the same time with the same hand.

Then watch you're playing improve!http://bluesguitarunleashed.com/forum/Templates/Forum/yabb21/wink.gif

henryj

Blues Newbie
I don't want to open ^&*$& beer bottles I want to Play the ^%# Guitar!

Seriously I know in the long run it will help.  I have had other exercises that seemed impossible at first that now seem too easy.

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
Well it's good to know I am not the only one having a problem with exxercise 3. I can play the first set up. Then I can do a few frets but like Mike not as clean as they should be. The pinky is my biggest problem. With this strech it wants (needs?) to touch the string below. If I don't play the pinky and just lift it a little I can play the other 3 fingers clearly. BTW, I took Griff's advice and tried different ways of holding the guitar and placing the fingers. For me I need to make sort of a slant with my fingers, the correct classical style just doesn't cut it.
Because you read this far let me give you a laugh. The first 2 nights I was doing the course I tried this "keep all the fingers in place" with the 1,2,3,4 etc. Damn that was hard, took me forever to get through the exercise etc. Then watching the DVD I noticed that Griff was actually lifting his fingers when he went from one string to another. Suddenly the exercise made sense. ;D

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
LOL I wish you had a video of that Larry!!!
I find that I have better luck with it if I have the neck almost vertical and I have to really concentrate on getting my wrist under the guitar. If you watch Griff closely, you will see that the first joint in his pinky bends at almost 90 degrees. My finger just doesn't do that.

henryj

Blues Newbie
OK what kind of black magic is this? 
I received the course Thursday.  I tried warm up example 3 Thursday night.  I couldn't play it at all, nope, nada, zilch.
Friday night something came up and I was not home and didn't get to practice at all.
Saturday night I tried warm up example 3 and was able to walk it up to the forth fret before I cramped up.

Holy frijoles what a difference a day makes.

I think I'm gonna get this.

wgabree

Blues Newbie
OK what kind of black magic is this? 
I received the course Thursday.  I tried warm up example 3 Thursday night.  I couldn't play it at all, nope, nada, zilch.
Friday night something came up and I was not home and didn't get to practice at all.
Saturday night I tried warm up example 3 and was able to walk it up to the forth fret before I cramped up.

Holy frijoles what a difference a day makes.

I think I'm gonna get this.
Nice Henry!  You're really getting the secret - keep at it!  :cool:

rusty62196

Blues Lover
Man I just started this course; I sure was glad to come across you guys posts. I trust the process because it is certianly bringing me along; but DAMN.

Ivan

Blues Newbie
I've had this course for about 6 months. I can only get down to the fifth fret......nowhere near as fast as Griff but I can get there slowly.
At first I couldn't even get my first finger to move without upsetting everything else........especially my patience.
The whole idea is to stretch the crap out of your fingers to get them ready for the scale and solo practicing not speed.
Keep working at it....it's only a warm up....maybe you'll get the beer bottle thing going also!!!
[smiley=beer.gif]

rusty62196

Blues Lover
I've had this course for about 6 months. I can only get down to the fifth fret......nowhere near as fast as Griff but I can get there slowly.
At first I couldn't even get my first finger to move without upsetting everything else........especially my patience.
The whole idea is to stretch the crap out of your fingers to get them ready for the scale and solo practicing not speed.
Keep working at it....it's only a warm up....maybe you'll get the beer bottle thing going also!!!
[smiley=beer.gif]
I'm going to stay the course. Thanks for the input.

Chief Rick

Struggling but Determined Intermediate Level
I'm dying of curiosity (but not enough to buy the course just for that reason).   :)   Can somebody describe the exercise for me, or better yet, have a recording of it (if anybody can do it, that is)?

Mr.Jay

Blues Newbie
Posting to an older thread but I just purchased this course  and am looking for any feedback on how to approach this exercise  and accomplish it.
Yes, I know, take it slow but I can't even get my fingers (third and pinky) to "start" in the right direction, let alone actually get there.  I literally have to use my other and and move my pinky into place.  It's ok when it get's there but I don't seem to have been born with the muscles to control them in this fashion (yes that's a joke...I think...like the comment about no mere mortal can do this).
It's only been two days but for a tiny bit of progress I moved the starting point up the neck four frets.  I'll keep hammering away but would appreciate any advice on this one.  thx.

02KnowBetter

I need a shot of Rhythm and Blues...
I just started this course myself and found myself perusing the old forum posts for guidance.
I find this exercise challenging just like all the rest but I think that the affected fingers differ from person to person. My pinkie is not my main problem. It is my current inability to get sufficient spread between my ring and middle fingers and I seem to have less control over my middle finger (yes, there is a cruel joke lingering here). The good news is that I have been trying this exercise for a week straight, on both electric and acoustic guitar and I am making slow progress. I find it helpful to hold the neck nearly straight up. I work on this exercise until it gets too painful as I don't want to risk injury. I believe that I will succeed but it will take a while to loosen up my 60 year old left hand. Good luck and be safe.

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
I do this exercise every day to warm up. I can do it pretty good now but I found a way to help me. I was having a problem with the stretches using 4 strings so I started with doing the exercise on only the 1st string. This gently warmed my hand up. I start at the 12th fret and go up to the 1st and back.

After this the hand is warmed up and gently stretched so I go to the exercise as described in the book and video. When I first started this was still hard but it has become doable from practicing it every day.

Hope this is helpful. :)

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Chief Rick,
I'm not comfortable giving this lesson away for free, but if you PM Griff, he just might give it to you as a teaser to buy the whole course.