SWS Solo 3-Benchmark

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Ok, here it is warts and all.
I know it needs a lot of work, but critique is appreciated.
http://www.4shared.com/audio/x9B2AYTx/SWS_Solo3_BenchMark.html

okie_bb

Blues Newbie
Mike,

I've recently started playing with this one a little bit - it's got lots of tricky nuances in it.  I think you've got all the elements there in your recording, just needs some attention to some of the more subtle nuances - precise timing here, an exact bend there.  Overall, I'd say a very good job capturing the "feel" of it.  I'll be happy when I can play it that well!

Bruce  [smiley=beer.gif]

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Thanks Bruce. I'm still having trouble with the groove of the backing track, so I loose my place in several places.
I started working on this one over a year ago. I'd get distracted by other things, come back to it, get distracted...
I posted some of my earlier attempts at parts of the solo and I think they were actually better than my "final" benchmark.

Thatman

Playin' for the fun of it.
Sounds like you can get a lot of satifaction out of playing a solid solo like that. I followed it in the book and it appeared to be alligned quite well. I'll look forward to hearing next with the backing track. These long solos must be great to master. Well done.  [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
Just started this one and haven't quite made it past the first long run of triplets.  Other than some timing issues that you mentioned (mostly noticeable right around the 1 minute mark), it sounds pretty good.  Good job!  Hope I can get there myself in a few more weeks.

BTW, due to some arthritis issues, it's easier for me to play the long triplet run with a pick rather than combining it with a right-hand finger pluck as Griff shows in the instructions.  I do notice that when he does the full run through, he doesn't use the the finger pluck.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I use a pick for the whole solo. I don't seem to be able to get two fingers moving fast enough and in time.

Don, that's really strange. The backing track is there (you can barely hear it in the MP3)  and when I played it in Audacity it was loud enough. Now I wish I had saved the Audacity project so I could remix it. I guess I'll have to rerecord it with the backing turned up more. This is usually an artifact of not "normalizing" before exporting, but I did a Normalization, so I don't know what happened.

Lefty Jeff

A little blues rosetta
Not too shabby, Mike!  You have the whole thing down, now you just have to nail it.  Your smaller triplet runs later in the solo were spot on, but the long one had some timing issues. 

I am working on this one now as well, and have about half of it down ok.  At first, I did not think I would be able to play the triplet runs with pick and pluck, but I am starting to like it more, and am getting the hang of it.

I hope to post my effort soon.  Anyway, great job, Mike!  I would like to hear it with the backing track higher in the mix.  I could not hear it much at all.