Solo #2 (Lesson 20)

J

johng

Well here's my first recording - solo #2. Nerve racking stuff! Anyway, the guitar is an ES355 with the tone pots on low, and bridge pickup selected. The recording was done on a Boss Micro BR, which was another first as I had to read the manual etc. As for results, a couple of the bends sound, to me, a touch flat, and the guitar level in the recording is a bit high over Griff's backing track. Anyway, you got to start somewhere. I uploaded the file to tinypic.com (another first for me), so hope it works.

http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=hWQyirc4Pk1ppX7jGm%2Fy5w%3D%3D

Kind regards,
John

bob

Blues Newbie
hi john
may i be the first to congrat
ya the guitar was a bit high or should i say griif was to low ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
any way job well done my friend job well done
ive been practise solo 1 long way to go yet  :cool:

560sdl

Blues Newbie
For a first recording that was very good.  I did not think the lead was very much too loud.  I also think the tone was very good and I think you will spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to record the should out of your amp instead of playing more, unless the Boss has an interface for a mic.

Very nice.

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member
Awesome first recording John! Now that the jitters are over, they will become more relaxed and smoother with every recording.

I have posted you on the "BGU Recordings (All The Hits)" list along with the rest of us that have contributed. I think everyone will enjoy going back to the first couple of recordings in a few months, and seeing the progress we've all made!

B

bubbwe

John,
 Great solo.  That solo is so nice and I can't wait to learn it.  How long did you work on it before you recorded?  Can you post your gear and recording setup?  

Bluewater

Blues Newbie
johng - Very good recording, tone, and levels etc. I'd keep the lead level right where it is. By all standards an excellent first post.

The lead was smooth, consistent and nice to listen to. The beauty of recording is the immediate feedback that you get for yourself. Having posted the same lesson and knowing the score quite well I did note a few embellishments to the original score.

Thanks for sharing with us. I look forward to your future posts.

Bluewater

bob

Blues Newbie
John,
 Great solo.  That solo is so nice and I can't wait to learn it.  How long did you work on it before you recorded?  Can you post your gear and recording setup?  
ya thats a good question how long was it before you nailed it
ive been breaking it down now for 2 days still no where near

johnc

systematic
Great work johng.  We who have tried all know how challenging it is to get that first recording up and running, so I hope you are very pleased with your efforts.  A lot of different things to learn besides the guitar and all good fun, be it a little frustrating at times.

Most of us to date have started with something a little easier so kicking off with Solo#2 was a good effort.

The balance was fine, we really want to hear your work anyway so long as the backing is there to keep your timing.

The guitar sounded nice.  An ES 335 is still on my shopping list for one day down the track.

J

johng

Thankyou everyone for your encouraging comments. I am very grateful. A part from a bit of tremolo, anything else would be either a misinterpretation or nerves on my part. Once I've committed the piece to memory and begin to feel less tense when recording, hopefully I'll get closer to Griff's original take.

It's funny the more I listened the more subtle timing I began to hear. For example, in bar 8, the 'e' on the G string that follows the bend of the same note. Then after having problems with bars 6/7 and 15/16, I noticed the dotes in the music notation, which means add 50% of timing to the value of the note. Thus, the phrasing achieves a swing feel. With Bar 15 I found I needed to say the timing out a loud, as I was tending to disregard the rest on beat 3 and jump straight to the triplet.

As for the time it took, I'd say 2 days. I probably took a 100 takes. Most of this was just nerves as I found I could play along with Griff just fine. However, probably the most valuable lesson for me was learning to play along to a jam track. As I've only ever played on my own, I found myself running ahead. As I began to listen closely to the bass and drums, the solo started to fall into place. As Chuck say, it will be fun going back in the future and hearing how we've all developed, thanks to Griff.

As for the setup Bubbwe, it was a Gibson ES355 (pickup on bridge and tones pots on 2 and volume on 3) plugged into a Boss Micro BR recorder with a little reverb selected. The recorder also allows you to select from about 80 tones. I used 'MS Drive', hence the distortion. In turn, I then uploaded the mp3 to my Mac and then uploaded to 'tinypic.com'.

Going forward, I'd like to invest in a mic to plug into the Micro BR so I can record the tone straight out of the amp. I'll need to research mics, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks again everyone,
John

Bluewater

Blues Newbie
JohnG

JohnC use the Shure SM-57. It has been discussed here in the forum and the Shure SM-57 is an excellent choice. I will be going down that road some time in the near future too so I will be picking up an SM-57 for the task.

Bluewater

Bluewater

Blues Newbie
It's funny the more I listened the more subtle timing I began to hear. ....................
However, probably the most valuable lesson for me was learning to play along to a jam track. As I've only ever played on my own, I found myself running ahead. As I began to listen closely to the bass and drums, the solo started to fall into place. As Chuck say, it will be fun going back in the future and hearing how we've all developed, thanks to Griff.
John

JohnG,
Welcome to the benefits of recording!
Interesting you mention playing with the jam track. One thing that I liked doing on Solo #2 was playing with the drum/bass only backing track. I discovered this when I recorded the rhythm track from Lesson #11 and then added the Solo #2 for the complete track. Anyway while recording the solo I could actually turn down the rhythm track and focus on the drum/bass track. It really allowed me to follow the timing more easily. Here is the track I am talking about. From Chuck's List:

11)  http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=ermn88&s=5    
Bluewater's Take 2 of lesson 20, playing his own rhythm from lesson 11. Great work!  Recorded on 03/22/09  

Once again congrats on a job well done. By the way you nailed the last measure. I choked on it in this take.

Bluewater

J

johng

Thanks John, I'll check out to Shure mic - could also be patriotic spending the Prime Ministers handout of $900 on music gear!

Bluewater - wow! Tone tone tone. I'll have to pull apart my Boss Micro BR to see if it can produce smooth tone like your recording.  Before hearing your recording, I did another recording as bar 3 bugged me. Eventually I noticed the delayed pull-off between B and A, on the D string. I also made sure I played the second bend in bar 5 rather then hold it. On this recording I used a SRV Strat.

View My Video

Kind regards,
John

B

bubbwe

John,
 That sounded great.  I haven't started on that solo yet but am looking forward to it.  Nice tone.

johnc

systematic
Hi John, another great job. Nice to hear the different tone with the Strat, really nice.  I didn't study the note differences but you sounded more ralaxed this time through and timing is settling in.  

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member
The more you do it, the more relaxed you, and the better it sounds. This recording the progress that Dave (Bluewater) got going here on the Forum, is a trmendous help!

Good Job JohnG, I udated the BGU recordings list with your latest efforts.

J

johng

Thanks Chuck. The encouragement that you, JohnC, Bluewater and others have given me is very humbling. I'll certainly do what I can to pass on the good will to new members who like me, have struggled to develop their understanding of music and guitar playing skills.

Kind regards,
John

TonyS

Blues Newbie
That didn't sound like a struggle to me Johng.  Great sound and played very well.  Well done.....keep it up