Old and past it? Hope not!

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
Hey John welcome to the BGU crowd theres a bunch of good people here and no shortage of not so young ones either.

Have you been playing guitar for long? What guitar(s) do you have etc?

Theres a whole bunch of UK people active here on the forum and later this year a UK event being organized might be a good way to meet some of the crowd. Best luck and hey you have a good first name!

JohnHenson218

Blues Newbie
Hey John welcome to the BGU crowd theres a bunch of good people here and no shortage of not so young ones either.

Have you been playing guitar for long? What guitar(s) do you have etc?

Theres a whole bunch of UK people active here on the forum and later this year a UK event being organized might be a good way to meet some of the crowd. Best luck and hey you have a good first name!
Hi, I got a cheap guitar in 1964, learned 3 chords and the words of "Blowing in the Wind" and thought I was Bob Dylan! He's been a bit more successful than me.

TexBill

Blues in Texas
Welcome John and you are not the only one 79 years young,
Have fun and check out the BGU-UK event being planned.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Hi, I'm John from Windsor, U.K. I'm 79 so have left things a bit late (to put it mildly), but what the heck!
Hi John, welcome to the Forum.
Is it too late to learn at 79? Absolutely not.
Are you likely to have time to become Clapton? Probably not, but you will have loads of fun.

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
Hi John, welcome to the forum. I'm glad you're here.
I guess we never know how much time we have, but I'm pretty sure it isn't wasted here. At my age, I just want to enjoy the rest of the journey.
....and if you haven't started already, the best time to start is now. ;)

artyman

Fareham UK
Hi and welcome from one of the UK mob, I shall also be 79 this year and still gigging ! They are a great bunch of folk on here with plenty of advice and encouragement.
We are having a meetup this year, the Weekend of 3rd-5th November in The Bell Hotel Driffield, we've not met for the last couple of years because of Covid. Here's a link to the thread for this years event. https://bluesguitarunleashed.com/forum/index.php?threads/bgu-uk-2023-jam.35460/

Here are some links to previous years events and some videos

You might also like to take a wander down to the basement and join some of us in the Virtual Jam Room, you have to bring your own beer :)

GeeDub

Mojo Seeker
Welcome, John, you're in the right place, here at BGU.com! You've got 10 years on me, but I think it's never too late to learn.

It has been a while for me to actually pick up a guitar, as Covid & life with its many demands keeps dragging me away (I see the potential for a song here ;)). My soon to be 8 y/o granddaughter, who we share a home with, wants to learn guitar. I have ordered a Squire mini strat and have a Yamaha THR10C desktop amp for her. She is learning about guitar and picking notes on the e and B strings on my guitar(s) until hers arrives. This has given me motivation to keep working on improving my terrible guitar playing. One day, I hope she will want to proceed with Beginning Blues Guitar and then BGU, and so on. She comes to me each day after school wanting to practice. This encourages me to want to as well.

I wish you much enjoyment and success with your guitar journey!

Kindest regards,

Glenn