Amps Nace Pro-18 Boost

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
This is probably going to be a stupid question but like they say, the only stupid questions are the ones not asked...so here goes. Reading the manual for my Nace amp, it says that the boost defaults to the on position. From my experience, it seems like it actually defaults to where it was set when the amp was last turned off. I have a simple one button pedal that I use to turn the boost on and off. Is there a pedal out there that would be able to show (by a light) if the boost was on or off? Not sure if this is even possible or not but figured you gearheads would easily know the answer to this. Honestly, it's probably not that big of a deal but it is a little bit of a pain to have to either turn on the boost to find that it was off or to turn it off to find that it was on.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Interesting question. I don't know of any way; I have a simple Fender style foot switch myself. I just got in the habit of clicking it a couple of times when I power up to check the setting. Be cool if there were a better way. :Beer:

As to the default, if you don't have a switch plugged into the amp at all then the boost will be on. If a switch is plugged in, the default becomes what the switch was last set to. The mechanical switch "remembers" which position it's in and if it's "off" when you plug it into the amp the boost will go off. The amp has no setting memory, it just goes to whatever the switch says.

Ted_Zeppelin

Great info Mark. I think that will take care of my issue. I'll just remove the pedal. I seem to like to boost being on for the most part, so at least now I will know it's on.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Glad it helped. In total honesty I don't think the boost makes a big enough difference compared to a drive or boost pedal for punching up solos.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
This?
Could be. That listing keeps harping on making sure your amp uses "tip to sleeve" connection and the Nace docs don't say anything about that, but the listing also says that's standard and I think the Nace is pretty bog-standard for wiring in this regard. This is the (non LED) switch I use for mine and it works well.

Peavey Push On/Push Off Button Switch

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Could be. That listing keeps harping on making sure your amp uses "tip to sleeve" connection and the Nace docs don't say anything about that, but the listing also says that's standard and I think the Nace is pretty bog-standard for wiring in this regard. This is the (non LED) switch I use for mine and it works well.

Peavey Push On/Push Off Button Switch
TS cable is a standard instrument cable.
It will work with the Nace but, I don't know how that Mini Latching Footswitch is powered.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
The one I use isn't powered at all, the latching is all mechanical.

Perhaps there's enough current flowing through the switching circuit to power one LED when it's in use.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
the Nace uses a latching switch. The switch Moto linked to should work fine, just not sure it's worth the $50 for something that I can do without for the most part. I may change my mind tomorrow though and order one.:D:D
I saw a YouTube out there somewhere on building one for $10

Ted_Zeppelin

I watched a few videos of guys adding an led to a switch, but when they had to pull out the electrical schematics to explain how they had to wire it, it all went over my head. They also had to run a power supply to the led. Much more complicated then my feeble mind could comprehend.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
You just need to change the switch to 2 pole and add a power source for the LED, you could build it for less than ten bucks.

You could also check for voltage on the switch wire and maybe nick the power from it

Last edited:

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I forgot my Nace Pro-18 had a boost!! I've only got one of two amps set up with the Fender style boost pedal - on the Head not the tweed combo. It suffices to say I never use it. I generally set my volume to a level that is just above what I am playing too and call it good. :Beer: