Mixing Maj & Min Blues over the I Chord

BrianMckenzie

Blues Newbie
Using box 2 (for major) overlayed on box 1 (minor) as an example do you make the transition between maj/min and vice-versa anywhere in the patterns? Or should you always transition from a root note?

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
If you have access to Griff's "Slow Blues Supplement" course, you might like to check out Lesson 4 on "Mixing The Sounds".

He introduces an exercise in which you start out playing a measure of 8th notes starting from the Major Box 2 6th string root and then switch to playing 8 notes in minor Box 1 from that point. Then after 8 notes in Box 1 you switch back to Box 2 and so on.

This way you practice transitioning between the sounds from different places in the patterns each time you switch.

Last edited:

BrianMckenzie

Blues Newbie
Thanks Paleo! I have watched his YT video "Mixing Up The Major And Minor Blues Sounds And How To Practice It" where he was moving between Maj/Minor and guess he just started the transition on the A root note (4th string, 7th fret). Played major going up from there and then back down he played minor.

I then found this video "Blues Guitar Soloing Over 1 Chord At A Time Mixing The Major And Minor Blues Scales" and it appears he is transitioning between maj/min anywhere in the pattern. So guessing you transition wherever it sounds best.

Again, thanks for your feedback!!