March 2024 Challenge - Pink or pick your color

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Perform a song with the color pink in the title. Simple! Pink is first choice, but any color is perfectly fine.
The one exception is the song cannot have the word "blues" in the title. Blue is OK, but the added "s" is not. That doesn't mean it can't be a blues, it just can't mention blues in the title. E.g., Blue Monday is OK. Bullfrog Blues is not. However, if there is a song called "Blue Blues," that is acceptable.

Why?
Doug, (@dvs) and I had a discussion about the February theme and pink was a suggestion (you know, Valentine's Day). I decided then that I would impose a JBT mandate to use pink as the theme for March.
a). Because it's my favorite color.
b). It is universally seen as a color that supports cancer research in general and breast cancer in particular.
c) I spent a year (2022) in treatment for colon cancer.
d) My birthday is in March, as is @dvs.
e). I'm a Jack-Booted-Thug.

Rules:
Other than the aforementioned requirement for a color in the title, the usual rules apply. If you're new, you can review the rules here:

March on, my friends!!

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Crap, I probably have to bow out. we have rented the same house out here for 20 years, and unfortunately, their kids are moving out here, so, I have to pack up all my gear to prepare to move, so it is me and an acoustic for a few months

hmmmmmm, might be time to finish ABGU

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
Crap, I probably have to bow out. we have rented the same house out here for 20 years, and unfortunately, their kids are moving out here, so, I have to pack up all my gear to prepare to move, so it is me and an acoustic for a few months

hmmmmmm, might be time to finish ABGU
Wow, didn't you just fix a room in your place?

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
I got all of the guitar parts done on my March submission but have run into an issue I have never had before. My wife and I have been down with the flu all week. Finally starting to feel human again so I thought I would try putting vocals to the track. Since I have never in my life tried singing while recovering from the flu, I didn't realize the trouble it causes.:sick: I'll keep trying each day until I can get some vocals that live up to my low standards!! Until that time...Bam-ba-lam:Beer::Beer::Beer:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I got all of the guitar parts done on my March submission but have run into an issue I have never had before. My wife and I have been down with the flu all week. Finally starting to feel human again so I thought I would try putting vocals to the track. Since I have never in my life tried singing while recovering from the flu, I didn't realize the trouble it causes.:sick: I'll keep trying each day until I can get some vocals that live up to my low standards!! Until that time...Bam-ba-lam:Beer::Beer::Beer:
We don't judge...
Just don't send anything contagious.

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
I finally kicked enough of the flu to be able to get a vocal track added (actually two different vocals) to this months challenge song. As I was looking for songs to do this month, this particular song jumped out at me a something fun to do. Well...fun is one word for it. Much more challenging than I thought it would be. I decided to do the Ram Jam version of "Black Betty". This song has an interesting history. One of the first recordings was done by Leadbelly back in the 1930's although it is thought to have originated many years before that as an African American work/folk song. The Ram Jam version (released in 1977) was actually recorded in 1973 by Bill Bartlett (former Lemon Piper) by his band Starstruck (on the Truckstar label 45). The Ram Jam version was just this earlier Starstruck song cutup and edited back together, which is why it seems a little disjointed in places. At any rate here is my version plus links to the Leadbelly and Starstruck versions for anyone interested in hearing those. I just recorded guitars and vocals. The drums, gong and bass are from a backing track.

Black Betty March 2024 challenge

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
I finally kicked enough of the flu to be able to get a vocal track added (actually two different vocals) to this months challenge song. As I was looking for songs to do this month, this particular song jumped out at me a something fun to do. Well...fun is one word for it. Much more challenging than I thought it would be. I decided to do the Ram Jam version of "Black Betty". This song has an interesting history. One of the first recordings was done by Leadbelly back in the 1930's although it is thought to have originated many years before that as an African American work/folk song. The Ram Jam version (released in 1977) was actually recorded in 1973 by Bill Bartlett (former Lemon Piper) by his band Starstruck (on the Truckstar label 45). The Ram Jam version was just this earlier Starstruck song cutup and edited back together, which is why it seems a little disjointed in places. At any rate here is my version plus links to the Leadbelly and Starstruck versions for anyone interested in hearing those. I just recorded guitars and vocals. The drums, gong and bass are from a backing track.

Oh, yeah...
TZ never disappoints (well maybe he does, but I've never seen it) - that was FUN!! :thumbup::thumbup:

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues

Wow---Man you put some MAJOR ENERGY onto that one TZ--- GOOD listen. By the way what brand of flu meds are you taking. :ROFLMAO:

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
I went for blue. I was going to hit you with Lily The Pink by the Scaffold, but thought 'Nah', they don't deserve to be put through that. UK BGU'ers will understand why.:ROFLMAO:

This is loosely based on a live version of Justin Haywards 'Blue Guitar'.

Blue Guitar
What a beautiful song! You do it well, too - guitar is excellent, and great vocals! :thumbup::thumbup:

Back in those days I was a big fan of the Moody Blues, but in general I wasn't paying a lot of attention to the members of bands and what other things they were doing, so I guess I missed a lot - including this. Thanks for bringing it to the show!

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I went for blue. I was going to hit you with Lily The Pink by the Scaffold, but thought 'Nah', they don't deserve to be put through that. UK BGU'ers will understand why.:ROFLMAO:

This is loosely based on a live version of Justin Haywards 'Blue Guitar'.

Blue Guitar
Man, it just keeps better and better hanging around here.
Thank you for an excellent performance, both guitar and vocals.