How in the H*ll do you guys work work dropbox?

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I opened a dropbox account.  I have successfully loaded a MP3 file into dropbox.  Now ... how in the HECK do you guys get a link to put into your posts in the VJR?  So far I am completely stymied.  I can get a link copied to my clipboard, but when I put that into a post here it DOES NOT WORK.

None of the stuff in the stickies helps.  Many of the options talked about there don't even show up when I right-click on the MP3 file in dropbox.

Marv

I play 'err' guitar.
It helps to have a public folder for Dropbox.

jon3b wrote on 04/27/13 at 15:16:23:

The primary functional difference is https://www.dropbox_? takes you to a download page, https://dl.dropbox_? forces an automatic download which will prompt a media player to initiate and play the file when the link ends with an audio/visual file extension. Also, Dropbox has discontinued the automatic creation of a Public folder. Go to: https://www.dropbox.com/help/16/en scroll down to "Creating a Public Folder" and do the "click here". to enable that functionality.

If your file is already in Dropbox, drag it to your Public folder.  If uploading, make sure you are in the Public folder before you upload.

Once uploaded, right-click on the track.  The pop-up menu includes an option to Share Public Link.  Select this, then "Shorten Public Link" and "Copy to Clipboard".

Once here in the forum, right-click and paste the link into your post.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
THANK YOU MARV!!!  Finally ... SUCKcess!  ;D
https://db.tt/7zYDdW4N
This is not my playing.  This is a link that I downloaded from someone else's post ... just to test the download procedure.  And then put it into my dropbox folder to see if it showed up in my dropbox account online ... it did.  And then with your help, fingered out how to get a link to it for this post.
Call it all a "practice run".

giayank

Just another day in paradise
THANK YOU MARV!!!  Finally ... SUCKcess!  ;D
https://db.tt/7zYDdW4N
This is not my playing.  This is a link that I downloaded from someone else's post ... just to test the download procedure.  And then put it into my dropbox folder to see if it showed up in my dropbox account online ... it did.  And then with your help, fingered out how to get a link to it for this post.
Call it all a "practice run".
Rancid I've been patiently waiting for that twangocaster and semi hollow body to show up down here . Just to let you know my patience is about the only thing thin on me . LOL . Welcome to the party .  ;)

Jon3b

Blues Newbie
By golly, you finally found the basement door. I've been wanted to hear your mod-madness in action.  [smiley=beer.gif]

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I found the "basement door" a long time ago.  I have been in the VJR quite a bit and listened to quite a lot of what is here, and all I have seen here is encouragement and support. 

Right now I am plenty busy just getting boxes 3, 4 & 5 firmly under my belt, both major and minor, and finding licks in them so I can fluidly move up and down the neck.  So ... mastering all of the boxes in major and minor is my top priority and my other top priority is simply finding and learning as many new licks as I can.  Those two priorities go hand in glove and they keep me plenty busy.

I have Griff's 5 X 5 Jam Tracks and 29 Jam Tracks, and play over those quite a lot.

To join in on one or more of these shared "jams" would take a considerable bit of time.  I confess that I haven't yet spent the time to figure out how to que up a track so it starts at the prescribed place with that spot easily returned to in either Audacity or my Tascam DP006.  I just haven't wanted to take the time to figure all that out ... just yet.  I have plenty on my plate as it is. 

But I know the day is coming when I will really want to, so today I got this bit of how to download a link and upload one to Dropbox and how to get a Dropbox link put into a post all fingered out.

One thing I haven't seen anybody do yet is to not add a new lead, but to rather add a new element to the backing track ... add a new nuance to the "rhythm section" if you will ... something like a twangy Duane Eddy sort of low-notes single-notes line that repeats right along with the backing track ... that anyone could continue to play leads over.

Anyway,  be patient and I will be adding my two bits worth in here sooner or later. 
And thanks for expressing interest in hearing me fumble my way through the blues.  ;D

Jon3b

Blues Newbie

One thing I haven't seen anybody do yet is to not add a new lead, but to rather add a new element to the backing track ... add a new nuance to the "rhythm section" if you will ... something like a twangy Duane Eddy sort of low-notes single-notes line that repeats right along with the backing track ... that anyone could continue to play leads over.

We have done something similar in the past. If memory serves, it was leads over one chorus followed by a chorus of rhythm. Kept to single notes, that idea could work out to be rather interesting. Sure worth a try.  :cool:

giayank

[glow=yellow,2,300]I confess that I haven't yet spent the time to figure out how to que up a track so it starts at the prescribed place with that spot easily returned to in either Audacity or my Tascam DP006.
[/glow]  When you're ready . If you use audacity . Put the cursor in the spot where you want to start recording and left click . The starting point then begins there .To go back and start at beginning just click at start or any where else . If you do something and mess up . Go to edit menu and first choice is to undo what you just did .You can highlight a certain part of song and loop it to practice as well .Just click on where you want to start and drag it where you want to stop .

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
[glow=yellow,2,300]I confess that I haven't yet spent the time to figure out how to que up a track so it starts at the prescribed place with that spot easily returned to in either Audacity or my Tascam DP006.
[/glow]  When you're ready . If you use audacity . Put the cursor in the spot where you want to start recording and left click . The starting point then begins there .To go back and start at beginning just click at start or any where else . If you do something and mess up . Go to edit menu and first choice is to undo what you just did .You can highlight a certain part of song and loop it to practice as well .Just click on where you want to start and drag it where you want to stop .
Thanks giayank - just now tried it, it works slicker'n snot on a Teflon cookie sheet.  :)
Oh oh - I'm running out of excuses.

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
I like the idea of enhancing the backing track. If I ever get around to getting one of those Fishman Triple Plays, that would be a good use for it - add some horn stabs, maybe a Sax solo, more B3 organ comping, etc. maybe even some strings here and there.
I also thought a collaboration of 2 players over the same 12 or 24 bars in a "statement - response" manner would be fun to try.
The VJR could definitely be jazzed up with some "out of the box(es)" experimentation. Anything should go here - no judgements. It's not like we're making albums to publish here - yet  :)
Tom

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
great explanation Marv...the "public folder" save a lot of aggravation for the listener or downloading...

I also use the "selection start and end" settings at the bottom in Audacity to create a recording section...later.

cowboy

giayank

I like the idea of enhancing the backing track. If I ever get around to getting one of those Fishman Triple Plays, that would be a good use for it - add some horn stabs, maybe a Sax solo, more B3 organ comping, etc. maybe even some strings here and there.
I also thought a collaboration of 2 players over the same 12 or 24 bars in a "statement - response" manner would be fun to try.
The VJR could definitely be jazzed up with some "out of the box(es)" experimentation. Anything should go here - no judgements. It's not like we're making albums to publish here - yet  :)
Tom
I was thinking of getting some singers down here as well . You brought up some other great ways to learn and enhance our jams . [smiley=beer.gif]

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Tom
I was thinking of getting some singers down here as well . You brought up some other great ways to learn and enhance our jams . [smiley=beer.gif]
Just no bagpipes ... PLEASE!  Bagpipes affect me the same way as chalk squealing on a blackboard.  A tuba might be fun.  ;)  Maybe we could invent Polish Polka/Blues  ;D

FishKiller

Blues Newbie
Tom
Just no bagpipes ... PLEASE!  Bagpipes affect me the same way as chalk squealing on a blackboard.  A tuba might be fun.  ;)  [glow=yellow,2,300]Maybe we could invent Polish Polka/Blues [/glow] ;D

There's a Reverend guitar factory tech that has a Pink Floyd Polka band.
http://www.polkafloyd.com/

Carlos

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
I'm sure we could get Paparaptor to do a little accordion jamming here.   ;)

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I'm sure we could get Paparaptor to do a little accordion jamming here.   ;)

I did that on Griff's last October challenge back in 2012.  Have to go find it.

Found it!  Moved it from 4shared to dropbox to avoid all that 4shared ugliness.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/168818512/October_challenge_revised.mp3
Caution! May cause bleeding from the ears!
You ought to put an OD box and delay and a little reverb on that thing!  Sounded pretty good to me.