Amp settings

KSmith8849

Blues Newbie
:question I am new to BGU and don't know my way around the forum
sorry if I put this in the wrong place.
I have a 80s era Fender Stage lead amp and am looking for some help on how I should set it :question

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
The standard starting point for Fender amps is to set everything to 6.  Except the reverb which I like around a 2 or 3 on my '73 Princeton Reverb.  Your amp has a few more knobs, but it really depends on what your tastes are.

If you could describe what kind of sound you are wanting to get that would help.  That amp has gain available and clean as well.  Do you want a lot of grit, or a clean Fender chime, or maybe just a hint of grit to make it a bit more bluesey, but not full on rock n roll?

If you could describe what you're after, then it would make it easier for people to advise on what to set where, but start with 6's.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
The standard starting point for Fender amps is to set everything to 6...
What he said.

Set your Clean volume to a reasonable level.  For instance, at home, I've got a couple amps that never get turned much past 2 or the neighbors a street over could hear me.  Then set everything else to 6-ish, and start fiddling from there until you find a sound you like.  Once you get a clean sound you like then add in your Gain/Drive to get the amount of grit and buzz that you like.

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
For your reading pleasure.

http://tinydemonz.wordpress.com/2013/03/15/under-the-spotlight-fender-stage-lead-amplifier-1980s/

The clean channel is just that clean.

Channel 2 you have gain and master volume.  Basically the gain is what adds distortion to the sound.  It also makes it louder, so you have the master volume there to lower the volume to where you want it.

For blues you want just a little grit, so you would use channel 2 with a little gain dialed in.  How much depends on how you like it.  Just use the master volume to control the loudness in conjunction with the gain knob.

I like to play everything pretty clean, but once in a while I like to have some grit in my sound.  My Peavey Delta Blues also has 2 channels, so i then use the gain channel and turn up the gain pretty far (That amp needs it to get dirty) and then turn down the gain channels volume, which is separate from the clean channel.

Not sure what kind of guitar you have, but if you ever get the chance to play a Fender or a nice Squier guitar through that amp you are in for a treat, magic happens.  The Fender/Fender thing is just pure magic.  Almost like they were made for each other?

KSmith8849

Blues Newbie
My ch2 has volume, gain and master knobs.
As well as treble, middle, bass and reverb.
The volume and master is what is confusing me.
Also I can't tell any deference in the sound by changing the reverb knob.  Do I need a foot switch to turn it on and off?

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
My ch2 has volume, gain and master knobs.
As well as treble, middle, bass and reverb.
The volume and master is what is confusing me.
Also I can't tell any deference in the sound by changing the reverb knob.  Do I need a foot switch to turn it on and off?
Master is the master volume for the amp. volume is for the specific channel. They work together to determine the overall volume.

For reverb if nothing is plugged into the reverb footswitch it should be on. Look at the back of the amp and see if there is a reverb tank. Looks like a bag usually mounted on the side panel in back of the amp. There should be two wires running to t.

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
It's in the bottom of the amp in the back.  The reverb tank that is.  The foot switch is usually a kill switch, so no switch it's just on.

No big deal.  Reverb is nice, but not required to sound good.  They are pretty cheap to replace, like $20, if the tank is actually what's bad.

Here is a quick diagram that may help?

CH1  vol   tone
input                                 reverb  master spkr
          CH2  vol  gain tone