Tied Quarter/Eighth Notes

peter_m

Blues Newbie
Example 25 Page 28 Accoustic BGU
Griff explains on page 27 that we tie a note to the note half the size, ie we tie a 1/4 note to 1/8th note.
Can someone explain example 25. Have I got this right (prob not lol)

Bar 4.....
(Beat One) ...1/4... (Beat Two)... 8th note tied to Beat 1........(Beat 3) 1/4 note ...(Beat 4) which is a 1/8th note tied to Beat 3
Bar 5.
.....(Beat One) 8th note...(Beat Two) 1/4 note tied to Beat One....(Beat 3) 8th note...(Beat 4) ..which is a 1/4 note. tied to Beat 3.

If this is the case I thought we tie the note which is half the size so therefore if the above is correct why is an 1/4 note tied to a 1/8th note (Bar 5)..Beats 1 and 2

glynnd

Blues Newbie
I don't think your statement that a note has to be tied to a note half it's size (length) is correct. A tie means that you allow a note to keep ringing through the time as indicated by the length of the note that it is tied to. That's all. You can tie any time value to any other time value, you can have multiple ties. Just grab some sheet music and look through it examining the ties. You will see they come in many different combinations.

peter_m

Blues Newbie
Thanks Glynnd for the reply I am aware that you let the note just ring out and that you just don't strike the tied part of the note .I am just going on what Griff says in the Acoustic BGU page 27...."One thing we do a lot is tie a note to the note half the size. For example we tie a half note to a quarter note....We often tie a quarter note to an Eighth note, an eighth note to a sixteenth."
I am getting the impression that we only tie the notes as half the size to the bigger note or do I have it wrong and you can tie a Quarter to an Eighth note. This appears to be the case on Example 25 Acoustic BGU page 28. if you don't have the book I can scan it on.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
He is explaining the Dot.
"We often tie a quarter note to an eighth note, and eighth note to a sixteenth. In fact it is so common that we have a short hand notation for it., the dot."
The dot makes it easy to read, but you can tie any note to any other note duration.

glynnd

Blues Newbie
You can tie any note duration to any other note duration. Whole note to whole note, half to half. whole to half, quarter to whole etc etc, any and all combinations you can think of. As Mike mentioned above because it is quite common to tie a note to one half its duration a special music notation symbol, the "dot" is often used to indicate that particular combination. The dot is placed immediately after the note symbol and tells you to let that note ring for a time value of one and a half times the note value. That does not preclude their being other tied note values which are indicated by a bent line joining the two notes together.

Do not confuse tied notes with slurs. See following definitions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tie_(music) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slur_(music) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dotted_note

There will be a test in the morning!

peter_m

Blues Newbie
Thanks Guys.....That has cleared it up...maybe Griff should have explained it that way for idiots like me....I took it that you could only tie 1/4 to 1/8ths .....etc