Need techie help

daveg

Blues Newbie
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the proper spot but I need some guidance in the area of recording. (Right now I'm a complete novice). I want to be able to lay down a bass track, a rhythm track - maybe a keyboard track, and use it as an accompaniment track for a vocalist, so I will be able to play along noodling out some lead here and there. Need to be able to transfer it to a CD or an MP3 player. Suggestions would be welcomed. :) Would a program like Audacity accomplish that and what do I need to interface between the guitar and computer? Or is there another better way. Thanks and  Happy playing ladies and gentlemen!

Steve G

St. Simons Island, GA
Dave, there are lots of options.  A lot of folks use Audacity along with an interface such as Line 6 UX1 or UX2, or a Fender Mustang amp.  You would connect the interface to your computer via a USB cable & lay down your recording on Audacity which will give you multiple tracks to record to.

I've got both UX2 and a Fender Mustang I amp & I use both for recording.  I use Ableton software(comes free with UX2 or the Mustang amp) instead of Audacity as I think it's a bit more versatile, but either will work.

There are many other options & a lot more info down in th "Recording Tips & Tricks" section of the forum.

Jon3b

Blues Newbie
  Audacity is fully capable of recording all your instrument tracks separately or together. I'm going to assume that you're planning to perform them separately. For that you'll likely want a small mixer, something like the Behringer Xenyx 502 or 802 which will use your PC's line-in jack. The Xenyx 302usb is another option which uses a usb port instead of a line-in jack. FYI, The Behringer line isn't expensive, but will do a good enough job as long as your aren't too rough with it. Look at Mackie or Alesis, among others, for housings that are more suited to road and stage use. If you just want something that will connect your guitar directly through a usb port, look here for options: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/audio-interfaces
  Once you have all your tracks recorded, take the time to get them lined up on the same beats and do whatever pan and level adjustments you want. Save a working file with the Save Project function before performing the Mix and Render function. After that export the final mix to .mp3, .wav, .flac or such. This may take a few tries to get a file type compatable with your CD burning software.

This post will likely find it's way down to the Recording Tips and Tricks section.  ;)

Good luck Dave, it's a fine idea you have, but the path to successful recording will have a few headaches along the way. Don't let that stop you though, it's a great skill to possess!  [smiley=beer.gif]

Cowboy Bob

Horse Player/Guitar Wrangler
OK I had to chime in on this one.

Personally I use ProTools 10 for the primary DAW in my studio.  But that would be way overkill for what it sounds like you want to do.  I also use Ableton Live 8 and Reaper 4 to rewire into ProTools.

I really can't speak to audacity, but I know a lot on here seem to use and like it.  The price is right.

I would recommend that you look at the website and capabilities.  Be sure you understand what kind of interface you will need.

If you don't mind spending a few dollars, Reaper 4 is about $60 for non commercial.  Win doze or Mac, and it will run in 64 bit mode!.  You can get a fairly inexpensive interface from 1 to 8 mic preamps for $250 to $400.

Of course if you are up to it, you could go with the Avid Fast Track C400 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/avid-fast-track-c400 which is a 4 X 6 USB interface (windows or Mac) and has on board DSP.  (The DSP is really important if you want to use software effects.)  For about $150 AND that comes with ProTools SE  which is basically lite version of ProTools, BUT it is also and upgrade path if you choose to go to the full version at some point. 

I admit, I am a ProTools fan, so that solution is what I recommend.  ProTools is the most widely used DAW software in the industry, so you will be able to take your tracks to any major studio to work with.  Then we can all say "I knew Dave way back before he became a star  ;D".