Chuck's Simple Man Practice

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member
I am working on Simple Man and a lead for it. I need some ideas on some licks and I don't want to get them from the original artist so I thought I could steal a couple I like from my friends.

I recorded my own rhythm and extended it a little so I could get a few of you involved. Sorry there's no Bass or drums on this. I played what I have so far on a lead so you can get an idea of the feel I'm looking for.

http://db.tt/1qPrjjKt

Marv

I play 'err' guitar.
Sounds cool, Chuck!   [smiley=beer.gif] Doesn't sound like you need any licks from us! 

Going out to happy hour after work today, so I'll try some after that if there's still room.  Might make me creative. ;)

Chuck

Staff member
Sounds cool, Chuck!   [smiley=beer.gif] Doesn't sound like you need any licks from us! 

Going out to happy hour after work today, so I'll try some after that if there's still room.  Might make me creative. ;)

Marv, I would be interested in your reply!  Please make it an effort!

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
That was sweet, Chuck.  I'd steal those licks if I could play them.   ;)

I'm definitely going to download it and play around with it.

Marv

I play 'err' guitar.

Marv, I would be interested in your reply!  Please make it an effort!

Bad news, Chuck.  Happy hour plans got canceled.  I might have to play unhappy.  :(

gpower

Blues Junior
I have a jam track for that Chuck (if you want bass and drums etc.). We did a thing with it a year or so ago. I do believe you were a contributor.

http://bluesguitarunleashed.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1304639620

Chuck

Staff member
O
I have a jam track for that Chuck (if you want bass and drums etc.). We did a thing with it a year or so ago. I do believe you were a contributor.

http://bluesguitarunleashed.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1304639620
Thanks Gary! I do have the track, it's what inspired me to want to learn to play it on my own. Playing with everybody on this is what got me wanting to be able to play the rhythm myself. BTW, that link doesn't work any more.

gpower

Blues Junior
I sent the empty bt just in case you didn't have it, anyway. The rhythm is really simple. Walk down 2nd string open A B  into arpeggiated C G Am. The chorus just get crunchy with strummed chords. All the solo stuff is Cmaj.

If anyone else wants to use it, here's my first try at uploading to dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7f5mmsykj2kzo0c/Simple%20Man%20%5BBacking%20Track%20in%20C%29.mp3

Chuck

Staff member
Yeah, that's a cool track. Much better than what I have!

I played my version with a metronome and nothing else but the backing track you provided was my inspiration for wanting to learn the song.

Thanks Buddy!

JohnF

Blues Junior
Sounds like fun Chuck. Do you want us to play thru it individually or split it up for ideas. Also you said you didn't want to use the original solo. If that's the case i won't go back and listen to Skynard for ideas. Also are we using your first post or the backtrack.

Chuck

Staff member
John, I would like to make it a 4 part with 3 parts remaining. I would love to hear your thoughts and feelings for about the same amount of time I played. I don't want to use the the original but I would like everyone to try and follow the melody as much as possible.

I'm out of ideas on the lead and I keep going back to what I've worked on. I would like to incorporate a lick or two from you guys into my lead and lengthen my lead by at least double what it currently is.

I'm anxious to hear everyone's ideas on this!

JohnF

Blues Junior
Chuck I had come up with some melody ideas but they were very similar to  yours. That is my first take.This is a more lick approach and I moved them around for different ideas. For the real solo I would probably take a part I like and expand on it. See what you think.

http://db.tt/OOV5kncL

FishKiller

Blues Newbie
Chuck, that was great! Sweet clean tone came right through. [smiley=beer.gif] If you don't mind, I'll add a bass line to your track.

Carlos

Marv

I play 'err' guitar.
Sorry, Carlos, didn't see this before I recorded.  Add some bass to this one?

http://db.tt/4meAgjdb

Chuck, I tried a couple of different things to fill up my slot.  But it pretty much boiled down to head for box 2, squeeze the 4 in and out while picking for some melody and then resolve to the root.  Anytime I tried to play in box 1, my notes collided with yours.

John, kind of reminded me of Hotel California in spots.  Classy addition.  [smiley=beer.gif]

Chuck

Staff member
You guys had some real cool licks in there for me to work with! Nice job John and Marv! I will have a lot of stuff to try and weave into what I'm doing! I am probably looking at a 2 minute or so solo to break up the the vocals.

Yes Carlos! Please do add a Bass Line!

JohnF

Blues Junior
Hey Marv very nice licks and tone. Is that a new tone or preset for you. I think it sounded great.

Marv

I play 'err' guitar.
I dusted off my Dumble and cranked it up.  ::)

It's the Fumble preset from the Fender Mustang forums. I haven't used it in a long time.  Jon hauls it out every once in awhile.

It's based on a Twin Reverb with gain maxed, post overdrive, delay and reverb effects.

Used my OLP MM-1, which has some pretty high output humbuckers. Had the guitar volume on about 3.

georgeK

Blues Newbie
That sounds great Chuck, John and Marv!! I have tried to come up with something but I  just keep doing the same things you have already done. Sure like it so far!
George [smiley=beer.gif]

JohnF

Blues Junior
That's a cool setup Marv. I took some notes and am going to see if POD Farm gets me close to that sound. It should be interesting.