RECORDING GEAR AND MICROPHONE

piebaldpython

Blues Junior
Looking at getting recording gear and a microphone.

Focusrite Scarlet Solo or Scarlet 2i2 and with a Shure 57 microphone.

Will probably mike an amp or I could run an amp (Boss Katana) direct into the computer software and use the mike for vocals.

If I mike an amp and used a mike for vocals then I assume I would need the 2i2?

Would probably use Audacity.

Any pros/cons of above.

I like relatively simple things. Too many choices can drive me nuts. Thanks.

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
nope...I also like the KISS concept...the Shure 57 will work well for both vocal and amp...I'd run the Katana directly into the computer and use the mike for vocals...

Audacity will work fine...bells and whistles = $$$...

that being said, I do have an mic (Senn) just for amps and I am recording with Presonus...but basically used your type of setup for years...later.

cowboy

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
If I mike an amp and used a mike for vocals then I assume I would need the 2i2?
I assume you would. I've never mic'd my amp. I have the Clarett 4 and have never used more than one input.:rolleyes: I will have to try singing and playing sometime in order to justify my purchase.:whistle: I would definitely go for the 2i2, as you're better looking at an extra input than for one.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Without sounding like a commercial for Presonus, have you considered getting a Presonus AudioBox iTwo, rather than the Scarlett? Here's why I ask.

The two boxes are the same price and pretty much the same feature set. With the Focusrite, you get Pro Tools |First software. With the Presonus, you get Studio One Artist, which is $99 as a stand alone purchase. If you are planning on using Audacity, Reaper or some other DAW, this may not be an issue. But we have developed somewhat of a critical mass of Studio One users within the forum, so support from within the forum is very high. Take a look at the Recording Tips and Tricks section of the forum and you can see the chatter about Studio One. And in the shameless self-promotion section, I've done several Youtube videos for startups in Studio One and have several more that I'll be putting together in the next month or two, all of which pertain to using your computer, interface and DAW as a practice tool within the BGU framework.

I'll shut up now...
Edit: or I thought I would...
I just checked Guitar Center's website and discovered Presonus is running an additional promotion through December 31 which includes some additional Presonus software to the mix.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I've used Presonus, Focurite Motu and other interfaces.
They are all good.

My current setup is a Focusrite interface and Presonus Studio One.

Papa's recommendation has merit.
If you're just starting with home recording, it's very possible at some point you'll want to upgrade your DAW.
Getting the DAW for free is a pretty compelling argument to choose the Presonus over Focusrite.

About selecting a 1 or 2 channel interface:

In most situations (at home) you'll only be recording one track at a time so, a one channel interface will work.
Adding vocals to a guitar track can be done after the fact.

However, any time you want to record two tracks simultaneously, you'll need a two channel unit.
Even if you can't visualize that happening, I'd always recommend that you start with a two channel unit for future opportunities.

Recording the Katana:

Yes you could go direct into audacity or mic the amp.
However, I'd suggest a different approach.
Don't use the USB, use the line out.
I'd suggest you get a two channel interface.
Put the mic in input #1 and the line out from the Katana into input #2.
That will make the interface your main hub.
Using the USB for the amp and the interface for the mic would require setting up both units as input devises inside your DAW.
That will complicate the setup and recording process.

Mic selection:

A SM57 is a great all purpose rugged mic.
If you grow into your recording undertaking, some day you might want to add additional mics to your arsenals but everyone should have a 57.
One thing to be aware of on the 57, 58 and most dynamic mics...........they are low output, meaning they require higher gain to get good recording levels.
The 2i2 and the audio box both have decent gain on their preamps but I believe they both come in around 50db of gain.
The 57 works best if you have gain in the range of 70 - 80db.
Check the preamp gain on any unit you're looking at and keep in mind more is better for the 57.

If you get an interface with 50ish preamp gain and your happy with the level you get........you're golden.
If you are disappointed with the mic level you can add an additional (in-line) preamp at a later date to boost the signal.

Here's an example of what I'm referring to.
https://www.theseasonedpodcaster.com/gear/cloudlifter-alternatives/

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
what they said, I started with Audacity...............then ended up researching a ton of DAW, and finally settled on Acoustica Mixcraft, and have upgraded once since buying it. The only issue with my DAW, not a ton of users on this forum so you lose out on the knowledge base, but they do have good training videos.

other thing to think of, is how quiet an area do you have, we have garnered some crappy neighbors the past few years and have competing dogs barking all day, where I have multiple direct USB connections to record with so its a non factor

jmin

Student Of The Blues
I just bought an SM57...not sure why, but I always wanted one...just in case. I also bought the Scarlett 2i2 interface. Works good. I started out recording using an iPad and Garageband. I haven’t worked up the will to jump into one of the other DAWs (ProTools, Studio One, etc.).

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I agree 100% with CaptainMoto about the SM57. If you are only going to have one mic, that's the one to have. Before I got my Eleven Rack, I used a SM58 to mic my amps. Before that, I had some cheapo Digital Reference DRV100's (which I still have) and they also worked extremely well for recording an amp. My 2 SM58s disappeared somewhere along the way, but I still have 4 or 5 of the DRV100s and it's only because of them that I haven't bought any new SM57's or 58's. My preferred mic for recording from an amp is the Sennheiser e609, of which I have 2. I got them because of a recommendation from a sound guy Griff had working at some of the early BGU LIve events. Their big selling point is you can just hang them over the front of an amp and they'll work perfectly, without the need for any kind of stand. When I had my SM58's, I did some very unscientific tests using some white noise through several different speakers. The e609s and the SM58s sounded almost identical, but the e609s had more low end roll off, below about 200 hz. For micing a guitar amp, the difference is trivial.

The other nice thing about the SM57/58 is the pickup pattern. I used to record my amp with the backing track playing on speakers in the same room, but about 10 feet away, with the mic pointed towards the amp and away from the speaks. When listening to playback of the recorded guitar track, the backing track over the speakers was so low, I had to use phones to hear it. For those of you with noisy neighbors, dogs, traffic noise, etc., the SM57/58 might be a perfect answer.

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
Sounds like you have a good plan. I used a Scarlett 2i2 for years with no issues. And there is no more useful mic than a shure 57, it'll last a lifetime. I'm a presonus studio one user, but daws are a very personal choice.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
I have a Scarlett 2i2, and use Reaper. I also have just about all the major microphones available. Also, I have several software recording packages. But the concept of using a STANDARDIZED (Studio One Artist) software package is outstanding! Look at how much work Lloyd has put into that concept? It is of great value to all Forum members.

There are several Presonus boxes available which come with Studio One Artist:

Presonus AudioBox USB 96K 25th Anniversary Edition Audio Interface Black | Guitar Center $99.95

PreSonus Studio 24c USB-C Audio Interface | Sweetwater $159.95 With audio levels - kool!

and as suggested by Lloyd:

Presonus AudioBox iTwo 2x2 USB/iPad Recording System | Guitar Center $159.95

I am thinking of what I want for Christmas! :)

Tom

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
This would be the clear winner, since it's $60 less than the other two. I believe it was @dvs who pointed out in another thread that the USB96 has Mic/Instrument level inputs and no provision for a higher level line input. Even Presonus recommends against using a line level directly into the USB96, unless you use a DI box to drop the levels to an average instrument level.

piebaldpython

Blues Junior
So, in simple layman's terms, what is the difference between the Presonus Audiobox USB 96K and the Audiobox iTwo, other than price?

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
So, in simple layman's terms, what is the difference between the Presonus Audiobox USB 96K and the Audiobox iTwo, other than price?
The Audiobox USB96 doesn't have the proper input to accept the line output from your Katana. The Katana puts out more signal than it can handle. the Audiobox iTwo has the proper attenuation built-in. That's the major difference for your application.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I'd add just a bit to what Papa said:

There are 3 types of signal levels:
-Line
-Mic
-Instrument

The Audiobox usb 96k has
-Mic
-Instrument

The Audiobox iTwo has
-Line
-Mic
-Instrument

In an earlier comment, I suggested using a two channel interface and setting it up as the recording hub with the mic going into #1 and the amp going into #2. To do that, you'd need an interface that can handle line level. because that's what the amp sends out.

Last edited:

SHarpo

Blues Newbie
Without sounding like I'm seconding PapaRapters commercial for Presonus, I have an Audio Technica AT2020 and a Presonus AudioBox iTwo which I run through Studio One 3 and I recommend it as it has always worked well for me.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Without sounding like I'm seconding PapaRapters commercial for Presonus, I have an Audio Technica AT2020 and a Presonus AudioBox iTwo which I run through Studio One 3 and I recommend it as it has always worked well for me.
Good to see you again SHarpo! Hey, did you ever get that dog of yours to stop pissing on your guitars? :ROFLMAO::D

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
I don't have either of the units being discussed, but my son is a budding producer. He has quite a bit of experience with different units and DAWs. I was considering a Scarlett 2i2 myself. He told me they really nice pres and sound great but that they are not that durable. He recommended against the Focusrite products if you are going to be moving it around from location to location. If it is going to sit in one place, he says both are equally good in terms of sound quality.