Something I found really helpful for practice or playing

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
I have recently gone through some physical problems due to arthritis. As a result of a bad right wrist and left thumb I have had to approach my playing and practice differently. Without going into my obstacles, I want to share something I learned/discovered that has made a real difference in my approach to playing. Because I can't use much pressure with my thumb I have had to use as little pressure as possible for chords. As I eased the pressure I began to really like the sound. From there I started to play everything musically instead of just by rote.

What I mean is I started to make everything flow musically. When I practice a scale for instance, instead of just playing the scale I sing it in my head or out loud. I try to make one note flow into the next and so on. Everything now has a melody and I can actually hear the connections between notes, phrases, etc.

I hope some of you will try this and give feedback.

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
Glad you have managed to work through your physical issues.

This sounds like a good idea to me...I have been trying to use less force when playing too though oftentimes I forget and just play hard. I think a lighter touch is beneficial from a playing and a sound perspective and allows for more dynamics.

Thanks

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
Thanks everyone. I guess that my take away is that perhaps we all grip harder because we are concentrating on the form etc. so much we rush or push etc. when we need to just relax and let the music flow. Hope this makes sense to more than me. LOL