Thatman - Down to the Station

Thatman

Playin' for the fun of it.
I've re-pasted the link and it seems to work for me, but then again so did the last effort. :confused:

Thanks for the heads up.

Ivan

Blues Newbie
Now I'm getting a 403 error message. Not sure what's going on with that? Wish I could help you.

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
Is it in a shared folder? If the folder isn't shared at dropbox it's possible there is a permissions problem.

Ivan

Blues Newbie
Yippee.....success!

That was really good Don. Nice job on muting the rhythm and you're hitting all the notes in the licks cleanly.

Certainly was worth the wait. Looking forward to more!

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
Hey, very nice. You've got the B7 chords sounding out nice and clearly, that chord is a bear to get clean. What kind of guitar are you playing? It sounds really bluesy.

Thatman

Nice to hear you say about the sound, it's an Epiphone Masterbuilt. I love how it's such a bright sound.

Attachments

• Epi Masterbuilt.JPG
    Epi Masterbuilt.JPG
    503.1 KB · Views: 1

david moon

Attempting the Blues
The sound of the guitar and the recording quality were fine. You are getting the feel of the piece and getting the fingering of the various chords and licks. There are some spots where you hesitate getting to the next chord or position. You probably already know where the rough spots are, but if you count along while listening you will find them. Just for example, those last few measures way up the neck on the B and A are tough. You need to figure out a "target" for your left hand to get there in time.

The good thing about recording yourself is that you will hear things that you may not realize you are doing while you play, but the tape doesn't lie.
It also tells you where you need to work.

Please take this in the spirit of "constructive criticism". I spent a lot of time on this lesson before I was able to play it comfortably, in time, and without major flubs, so hang in there!

Thatman

Cheers David,
Many thanks for your feedback, it is exactly this type of guidance that shows me what the points are that I need to focus upon because when I listen to my recording there are too many points I dislike. I take your encouragement and direction as a focus for me and when I iron out these points then I can address another etc and so it can go on until it is tidy throughout.

You talk about counting, yes I know I am embarrassed about my struggle to do this to a good standard yet but I'll push on with that because I know it is important.

One point I do really struggle with is the transition in bar 15 between beat 2 & 3, but I know it is just practice I need to bottom this.

Once again, many thanks, and indeed thanks to ALL.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
For those rough spots you can always slow it down to figure out how to get the hand position, how to pick a target. Practice it slower and then speed up.

Another suggestion- don't practice starting from the top and trying to make it through. Focus on problem areas of 2 or 3 measures and just work those, then integrate into tho whole piece.

Thatman

For those rough spots you can always slow it down to figure out how to get the hand position, how to pick a target. Practice it slower and then speed up.

Another suggestion- don't practice starting from the top and trying to make it through. Focus on problem areas of 2 or 3 measures and just work those, then integrate into tho whole piece.

Seems so obvious this David but I always fall for the start at the beginning and play through technique and as such you get fed up playing the whole piece and you've not really practiced what you are weak at.

You're right with this so that's how I'll focus my efforts. :)