Mystery requires solving!

Thatman

Playin' for the fun of it.
Due to an unfortunate accident on my bicycle I have sustained multiple injuries (broken bits) that has stopped both my cycling and my guitar playing for several months, but on the good side I can now spend time going through some of the many theory loaded courses I have.

I have just finished watching the "Answers video" to lesson 14 and have the following question in relation to Ex 14-1.

Griff starts the answers by writing in the 'Formula', then from this he identifies the 'Mode' options, then the chord 'Function' option(s).

Now I have been able to understand and indeed follow the logic with all the examples explained except Nos. 3 & 4 (F11 & C9). And the reason why I don't understand these two determinations is the reason for my quest for help.

Q. Why when writing out the formulae was a b7 used and not a 7?
(Ans given: for No. 3 = 1 3 5 b7 9 11 and the answer given for No.4 = 1 3 5 b7 9)

Please do not in your response tell me "because it's Mixolydian" because that is not the answer to the question. I am trying to understand how the formulae was selected, I know that once you have the correct formulae you can determine the 'Mode'.

Cheers Guys :)

Kommetjie

Blues Newbie
Nomenclature . . .
F11 means F dominant 11, dominant chords have a b7
Similarly, C9 means C dominant 9 which contains a b7
If the chord name was F Major 11, a natural 7 would be used
If the chord name was C Major 9, a natural 7 would be used
Therefore:
C9 = 1 3 5 b7 9 (C9 means C dominant 9)
C Major 9 = 1 3 5 7 9

Thatman

Playin' for the fun of it.
Thanks Kommetjie, from what you have said I re-read Lesson 14 notes over and what I think is the case is the following:
1. When the chord does not say minor then it is Major i.e. C = C Major (and hence has the 1 3 5 triad)
2. When a 'tall chord' addition is given then by default it is 'dominant' unless specifically said to be 'Major' (and hence has a b7).

Kommetjie

Blues Newbie
Thanks Kommetjie, from what you have said I re-read Lesson 14 notes over and what I think is the case is the following:
1. When the chord does not say minor then it is Major i.e. C = C Major (and hence has the 1 3 5 triad)
2. When a 'tall chord' addition is given then by default it is 'dominant' unless specifically said to be 'Major' (and hence has a b7).

You got it.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Reviewing Lesson 7 on tall chords,

most Major family chords have "Maj" in the name,

minor family chords have "m" in the name and

Dominant family chords have just a number, to which you can mentally add "Dom" in front.

And yes, all Dominant chords have a b7 as a result of harmonizing the Major scale (SHR) when adding another 3rd atop each triad. Remember this only happens to the V chord, i.e. only it becomes a Dominant 7 (V7).

I only mention this because you will hear Griff say, many,many times, every 7 chord is a V chord.

And I hope you have a speedy recovery and can get back to the guitar and especially the bike sooner than later.

Last edited:

Kommetjie

Blues Newbie
I remember reading an interview with the very accomplished jazz guitarist, Mick Goodrick.
He spoke of doing a session with a German musician and an unusual chord was played, being curious he asked what the chord was called.
The German guy said "Back home we call this chord 'Fred'."