Electric Guitars Maintenance

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I remember deciding to really clean my drums...once.

I have an 8-piece Tama kit, Pearl heavy-duty hardware and about ten cymbals.
I took apart rims so I could clean around where the screws go, I partially or completely disassembled hardware to get to all the little nooks and crannies, then polished the cymbals and put everything back together.
I don't recall, specifically, how many hours this all took but there were two things that I remember thinking when I was done:

1. The kit looked beautiful
2. I am NEVER doing that again.

Guitars are so much easier to deal with!
I have watched my son do exactly that. I have thought about covering them when they aren't in use, which would be 364 days, 20 hours and 12 minutes each year.

Yeah, guitars are much easier.

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
I have watched my son do exactly that. I have thought about covering them when they aren't in use, which would be 364 days, 20 hours and 12 minutes each year.

Yeah, guitars are much easier.
I have mine set up in my basement and I threw a sheet over them...

...well over 5 years ago!

Before I moved to where I am now, I played drums exclusively.
I lived about 2 miles from the recording/rehearsal studio where I worked about 30 hrs. a week (in addition to my full time job), rehearsed with whatever band project I was involved with at the time and jammed constantly with any or all of the dozen or more friends and players who were part of the whole scene.

When I moved away, I stuck with that scene for a few more years but over time, things changed, people moved on and the whole music scene changed and my interest in playing drums began to wane.
Then I started my.own business which lasted about 15 years or so and when that ended, I worked a regular j-o-b for a few years before I retired.

When I started to get into guitar (around 2016-17ish), that's when the drums went under the sheet. I played them from time to time afterward but I can't remember the last time I did.

Once I started taking guitar seriously, I've completely forgotten about drums. Guitar is more melodic and doesn't require a bunch of other players to justify its use.

Funny how things change.

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
wipe them down with a cloth and "oil" the fretboard once or twice a year

About the same really i do keep them in a room with humidifier on at night.

Clean them a little soft towel and a little water just on string changes.

Oil the fretboard guitar nomad f one oil just a little but very infrequently maybe every two years?