Don't take my beer C

Jon3b

Blues Newbie
  Work lasted a whole hour and a half today, so I figured to use the extra time and kick off a track. The original file is "Whose Beer Blues in C" from here: http://waynegabree.com/80jamtracks/
Tried to start with a phrase that had a lyrical quality and then did my best to stick with it while building on the idea.

https://db.tt/JIaw3rsV

There's an odd number of choruses left, but there's room for 3 more players if one of you just records one chorus.

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
Excellent work Jon! Really like what you did. Melodic, great timing and phrasing, restrained to leave space and let it breathe, no finger babbling. If I can find time in the next few days, I'll try to jump on this one too, but don't let that hold anyone else back in the meantime. Great job - you sound like a pro - are you?
Tom

Jon3b

Blues Newbie
Excellent work Jon! Really like what you did. Melodic, great timing and phrasing, restrained to leave space and let it breathe, no finger babbling. If I can find time in the next few days, I'll try to jump on this one too, but don't let that hold anyone else back in the meantime. Great job - [glow=yellow,2,300]you sound like a pro[/glow] - are you?
Tom

;D ;D ;D If only..! Nah, I've just been at this guitar thing since I was 10; 37 years total - 3 years now with Griff's DVD lessons. Before BGU there was a lot of time spent with the Fretboard Logic series which gave me a sort of head start on my current avenue of study. I do play with a band during the Spring and Summer months, but we shut down during the snow season so no one risks having an accident on icy roads. Pro? Nope, we don't get paid .. yet.  ;)

Lots of scale and finger dexterity practice  [smiley=beer.gif]

One other note. Yes, I'm a little more polished than some, but I don't do this to show off. It's more of a testament to Griff's materials and where they can take you. That, and I like hanging out down here.  :cool:

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
Thanks Jon - it's working for you, and your humility and giving credit where credit is due is also refreshing. But....you did the work - congratulations.
You are still a youngster, so you have a lot of blues (playing) in front of you.
I have been "in and out" of guitar playing many times due to business, family, and medical situations, but now that I am retired and have more time on my hands, I am determined to make some real progress finally. I am disciplining myself to focus on the blues and have been working on BGU for about 5 months now. You are right, it works, and I am starting to see some results and having a lot of fun doing it.
It's always nice to know a little background on the "players" here!
Tom

Jon3b

Blues Newbie
  Looking forward to hearing the next participant, whomever it might be.
  OG, this recording was on my LP Ultra's neck pickup ( in retrospect, most of my blues soloing is done on the neck or neck/middle pickup(s) ), no overdrive pedals on, but a little longer delay time than usual. "Usual" is just a quick (@300ms) single repeat that's about half the volume of the original note. My Aphex and BBE pedals are always on, always. I run a bi-amp setup; one set clean, the other just over the gritty threshold. Both amps run EL-84 tubes. My recording rig is a ElectroVoice Co4 mic > Behringer Xenyx 502 mixer fed into the PC's Line In. Audacity handles the DAW duties.

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
Well, Jon, when you start it out like that, nobody wants to follow it!! :)
I noodled over this a bit late last night, but wasn't very happy with what was leaking out of my fingers. It's a very busy time for me, but if I can make some time later, I'll take another stab at it.
Thanks for the run down on your gear setup - it's basically just academic interest for me to know what's behind what I'm hearing.
Tom

Jon3b

Blues Newbie
  Marv aint shy, I'm sure he'll jump in before long. You shouldnt be shy either. We arent trying to sell records here. Try copying my opening lick, it's
---8----8--10b(12)--
-----10------------
-------------------

Pretty much that 4 note solo kind of phrase. From there try to find the 3rd, 7th or root to end your phrase on. Another approach, since the next section is just bass and drums, would be to use some little chords in arpeggio fashion. Of course, 'finger babbling' is just as acceptable. That's simply part of the learning process. We've all done it. ;)

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
ok, recording light on - I'll have something soon. Might be a weak effort, but so what, I'm not proud :)
Tom

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
Alright guys, I took 24 - basically two different 12 bar solos.
How could I resist with a song title like this?

Minimal setup - Lucille on the neck pickup, no VariTone, to a Joyo JF-14 to Tascam recorder.

This will give y'all something a whole lot easier to follow. Jump on in.
Tom

https://db.tt/55YEDHSo

Marv

I play 'err' guitar.
Nice start, Jon.   [smiley=beer.gif]

And you're selling yourself way short, Tom.  Very nice choices.   [smiley=beer.gif]

You're right, not shy.  Just been recording with my BGU Live group getting ready for the big event. 

I'll try to hit this one for a few minutes tonight, but anyone else who wants to should just jump in!

giayank

Just another day in paradise
Very nice jon I'll jump on 12 in a little while if there any left . Marv don't wait on me won't be till 10 pm east coast time till I get a chance . You set the bar really high Jon . The rule says don't be the best player in the band if you want to keep learning . I got no worries there . LOL  :)

Marv

I play 'err' guitar.
gia, I'll wait for you, since 10 PM is only 7 PM my time.  I can stay up later. ;)

giayank

here's my 12 . played on my SG . middle position for pickup . Recorded with my ux1 and pod farm set on blues power lead . Through audacity .

https://db.tt/T16XAiae

Marv

I play 'err' guitar.
Nice job, gia!  [smiley=beer.gif]

The last 12 seemed like an awkward place for someone else to start, so I took the last 24:

https://db.tt/l5sa9Oay

Modern Player Tele on the middle "Strat" pickup, Fender Supersonic (Burn) model on a Fender Floor.

giayank

Way to put the finishing touches on this one Marv . Sounded like we all had a real good time .  [smiley=beer.gif]

Well worth staying up past my bedtime . ;)

Jon3b

Blues Newbie
Alright then  :cool: Ya'll can take my beers now  [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]