Another Chords to Key question

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
I found a Susan Tedeschi song I like (generally not a fan), it's called You need to be with Me

Chords as I hear them are Am, Dm, F7, and E7
So it fits Am, and the Am pentatonic or minor scale work great for soloing

However the E7 "should" be a minor chord. Is there a name for that substitution? Am I thinking about it wrong?

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
Thanks Bill. Are you saying I got my chords wrong and that you trust that transcription? I doesn't sound right to me. I think the F7 and E7 arpeggios are played in a C7 fingering (that's how I think of it) in the 4 middle strings?

Terry B

Humble student of the blues
I recall seeing Griff comment in one of these recent discussions (thrill is gone video thread) that in a minor key, the V can still be a 7 chord.

Last edited:
B

Bolar

In standard harmony leading notes are importent. It's those half step movements that makes one chord resolve into the next chord.
In major keys you get them for free : In G7 into C, you have the f & b in the G7 , that resolves by a half step into e & c of the C chord.
In minor (natural minor), you don't have the same leading notes, so to reinforce the resolution, harmonic minor is used, as an auxilary scale, to achieve the same functionality in minor keys as we have in major keys.
So in standard (functional) harmony, major keys use the major scale, but minor keys use natural minor + melodic & harmonic minor as auxilary scales, in order to get the same functionality that is known from major.
The use of harmonic minor results in the dominant chord being a major chord instead of minor. In minor, a minor V chord have no leading notes, that makes it resolve to the I chord. A major V chord has one, which makes it a stronger dominant chord.