Cable recomendatations

jackderby52

Prehistoric blues knob (not newbie)
For a guy that rarely plugs in, I have bad luck when it comes to guitar cables... On average I think I get about 10 uses per cable.. So, what do you kids recommend for hack like me??

Thanks in advance...

straightblues

Blues Junior
You need to buy quality cables with quality plugs. You need to pay more the $10. I usually pay between $30 and $50 for a 10 to 20 foot cable. I personally do not hear much difference between cables. Buy a cable with a "lifetime warranty". Many companies offer this. I have had to use the warranties more than once.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I've been using Pig Hog cables (it's what my local store stocks). A 10' cable retails for US$30 but they often have sales (they're up for under US$15 right now, matter of fact). Longer ones go for a bit more. Haven't had one fail me yet.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I've been using Pig Hog cables (it's what my local store stocks). A 10' cable retails for US$30 but they often have sales (they're up for under US$15 right now, matter of fact). Longer ones go for a bit more. Haven't had one fail me yet.
I moved from one side of Funkytown to the other about 3 years ago. Started visiting a little mom and pop shop that stocked Pig Hog cables. They sold me on them before they went out of business. Like Mark said, keep an eye out and you can get some pretty good deals on them. I've used this 20' cable for probably 2 years and have had no problems with it...it's currently only $23.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Go wireless, my friend. Nuff said...

Steve
I am on this too, I say go wireless, I would never ever go back to cables.

But, that said, I buy the basic Guitar Center ones that have their warranty and no issues. I also have some cheapies laying around for when people come over, and had them for years before they go bad, and when they do its usually the solder at the plug and I just repair it

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Fist I have to say .........What, they go bad after 10 uses?
Something don't sound right there:cautious:

Here's a cable review:
https://oldtimemusic.com/best-guitar-cables/

I've got about 20 miles worth of cables:rolleyes:

I'm in the camp of "you generally get what you pay for" so, I shoot for the best quality I can afford.
I've abandon buying cheap cables.
I'm on a slow rolling mission to upgrade all my cables, they are very pricey so I'm doing it over time.

Mogami Gold, has a no questions asked Life Time Guarantee.

Here's a few pix of the cables I'm not using:

IMG_2520.jpg

IMG_2521.jpg

Here's just some of what I am using:
IMG_2522.jpg

Last edited:

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I get my Pig Hog cables on ebay but they come from big stores like Musicians Friend. I haven't needed to by them lately but I was getting the 20 ft woven jacket cables for less then $30. Here is a nice 20 ft tartan plaid:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pig-Hog-PCH20PL-Vintage-Instrument-Cable-1-4-TS-to-Same-Tartan-Plaid-20-ft/232373602120?_trkparms=aid=1110006&algo=HOMESPLICE.SIM&ao=1&asc=20200520130048&meid=b9586fc28cd04c3ca5eb594ada96c491&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=12&mehot=pf&sd=321487697150&itm=232373602120&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2047675&algv=SimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithDarwoV3BBEV2b&brand=PigHog&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

or a 10 ft: https://www.ebay.com/itm/PIG-HOG-TA...T-BASS-PATCH-CABLE-1-4-MONO-CORD/221561903561

Do you have a dog or a cat chewing on your cables? It doesn't take much with piercing teeth to ruin a good cable. :Beer::Beer::Beer:

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
I have had a few cables go bad mostly directly related to me sitting on a chair with sharp metal feet that cut into a cable.

Guitar center has some pretty good cables i like the ernie ball cables and also have some pig hogg ones. Even the amazon basic ones are not horrible.

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
My local guitar store threw in a new cable with my recent purchase. A 15 foot Roland instrument cable, a brand I hadn't used before, that comes with a lifetime warranty and a regular $22US price tag. I've never had a problem getting years service out of any cable.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I've got an assortment, when I was gigging I used George L's for my Guitar and pedal cables, never had an issue

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I moved from one side of Funkytown to the other about 3 years ago. Started visiting a little mom and pop shop that stocked Pig Hog cables. They sold me on them before they went out of business. Like Mark said, keep an eye out and you can get some pretty good deals on them. I've used this 20' cable for probably 2 years and have had no problems with it...it's currently only $23.

Does Pig Hog make any non woven cables?
I was seriously interested till I saw that they were woven. I've always had issues with winding woven cables. They just don't see to behave for me. I never do the fist/elbow wind. Instead I do an alternating circle that NEVER tangles (well almost never if I do it consistently).

This is the way I've been doing it (over/under using thumb as pivot)...
.. Well, I thought I could find the video that does it the way I do, but I can't. It's effectively the same as Justin's (below) but I achieve the backward loop by using the thumb of my "stationary" hand. There's a third way I've seen that has you changing your moving hand palm up then palm down, but I don't like it because you have to let go and re-grab the cable (slows me down).

But I may start giving this one a try...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuRm5wYEvLs&ab_channel=JustinGuitar