Zoom & music ?

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Yesterday Davy and I were trying to dial in a acceptable sound for Zoomstock...Davy kept saying he was hearing distortion and delay on his end I kept adjusting till I was absolutely clean everything on zero except the volume controls and the distortion and delay (I call it a Boxcar effect) persisted. The only guitar that I could get acceptable was my acoustic--When Davy was playing earlier he was playing his 335 not plugged in and it was clean and clear-but once he plugged in- his was also a little distorted and Boxcar sounding (actually I kind of liked it).Is this problem with delay and distortion because of the distance between Ireland and Arizona? It is close to 4000 miles and I know it takes a little time for sound to travel...Just asking. I tried everything I could to get it out. But Nada. :confused: confused

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
You are probably kidding bout the distance being the problem, but just in case... No that's not it.
How is zoom picking up the audio? Directly from the computer or from a mic in the room? If it's a mic, you will probably get that "Room Echo" unless you have a good dampening system in the room.
If it's directly from the computer (via an interface) then I don't know. I guess the echo could be getting in from either his or your computer? You would need to be sure that the echo or reverb is only applied to the input instrument and not the output audio channel.
Since I can screw up Zoom at the drop of a hat, I may not be the best source of information though.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
You are probably kidding bout the distance
NOPE-----When I was listening to Davy it was coming direct through my laptop speakers and I am pretty sure he was playing cleaner than what I was getting----on my side I started out with some reverb eventually I turned every thing off my highs-mids- lows the volume was the only thing going. I was running through a PA speaker and it got a little better as we pushed it back a little--but it didn't help that much more. Davy was telling me what he heard---and like he said "it's hard to explain". I don't know how the backing tracks sounded---I think he said it had the delay (boxcar effect). So I don't know. By the way directly from the computer but as I said I was playing through my P.A. head. So I still don't know.

artyman

Fareham UK
Playing with Zoom there is a setting called "Original Sound" as I think Zoom processes things as it is orientated towards speech. Additionally if you are playing something and it is being transmitted via Zoom through your mic then turn your own speakers off or else that will be contributing to the sound that your mic is hearing.