Zoom H1 Recorder

TonyS

Blues Newbie
In another thread I was asking about the Tascam DR22.  I got a few replies and checked out the recorders that were mentioned and decided upon the Zoom H1 instead.  For those of you who are interested in the unit I did a very quick recording of a small section of a classical guitar piece that I'm currently working on just so you can hear the quality of the recording using the Zoom H1.  It's recorded in .mp3 format but would be even better quality if recorded using .wav format.  The input level is set at 60% and the Zoom was sat on a cup on a table approximately 2 feet away from the guitar.  It's very easy to use and comes with a free download of Cubase LE 7.

https://www.4shared.com/mp3/zNIdEuVZba/Romanza_22052015_mp3.html

artyman

Fareham UK
Very nice playing, not blues but excellent. I have a Tascam DR07 MkII for recording which I am well pleased with.

TonyS

Blues Newbie
Very nice playing, not blues but excellent. I have a Tascam DR07 MkII for recording which I am well pleased with.
Thanks.  I've struggled with the recording side of things for years and found that the Zoom (and your Tascam I'm sure) solved all my problems immediately.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
The sound quality was certainly good enough for posting here and for self-criticism.

I enjoyed the piece. What is it and who is the composer?

TonyS

Blues Newbie
The sound quality was certainly good enough for posting here and for self-criticism.

I enjoyed the piece. What is it and who is the composer?
The piece is called Romanza or sometimes Spanish Romance. Nobody knows who the composer is.  I only intend to use it for recording myself during practice sessions so I can hear better what needs to be worked on more. On the mp3 setting with only a 2GB card installed it is capable of 34 hours of recording. I've not tried the .wav format yet but obviously the recording quality on that setting with the bit rate increased the quality will be much better. I may try that over the weekend just to see the difference for myself. However, I have no intension of using it other than for practice.

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
I have to force myself to listen to mp3 anymore.  It just sounds so horrible.  I went to a jam session a few weeks back and my 2gb card filled up after 2 hours using the wav format and 44.1k.  So I missed the last 90 minutes of the jam session because when it fills up it just stops.  I don't know what I expect it to do?  So had I used mp3 I would have had the entire session.

I guess what I need is a bigger memory card, but those are in the camera.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Hey TonyS,
Beautiful piece and very well played. [smiley=thumbup.gif]
Recording quality was also good.

Why, may I ask, did you go to the recorder vs the computer route?
When I started recording I began down that path and became frustrated with the two different units and jump over to the computer stuff.
Which, by the way, brings it's own level of frustration.

TonyS

Blues Newbie
Hey TonyS,
Beautiful piece and very well played. [smiley=thumbup.gif]
Recording quality was also good.

Why, may I ask, did you go to the recorder vs the computer route?
When I started recording I began down that path and became frustrated with the two different units and jump over to the computer stuff.
Which, by the way, brings it's own level of frustration.
Thanks.  It's not the best I've played it but I just wanted a quick sample to listen to the recording quality and to test out the whole procedure. 

I tried the computer route when I started with BGU but I just found it all far too confusing and I got frustrated and gave up in the end.  I was spending too much time struggling with the equipment rather than practicing.  It's dead easy with the Zoom, press record then copy and paste after.  Oh so simple and I only wanted to be able to record myself for practice purposes anyway.

vashondan

Blues Doobie
Simple solution yet I see computer interfaces in your future.

I love Romanza.  Those sweet classical pieces are really beautiful.  You did a very nice job.

TonyS

Blues Newbie
Simple solution yet I see computer interfaces in your future.

I love Romanza.  Those sweet classical pieces are really beautiful.  You did a very nice job.
Thanks that's very nice of you to say so.  I love the classical pieces I'm working on at the moment.  I am all for simple solutions and the Zoom means I can record any practice session quickly and easily without the need to boot up the laptop and set up mics and interfaces.