Your BGU journey

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
A friend who I've known since around 1970 just sent me this.
https://www.facebook.com/matt.tolentino1927/videos/10101715364353325/

I don't know if I ever mentioned it, but back in the 50's accordion was big. Italian immigrants & polish immigrants loved their accordion music.
When I was 5 or 6 years old my parents decide that I should play one. I don't remember very much about it except they had a special small one for kids, I liked the chord buttons and I don't think it lasted very long (I''m guessing I didn't like to practice).
Between that, playing clarinet in the elementary & Jr high bands and singing in the "Lettermen" in High School, a male choir that sang contemporary songs (think Love is a Many-Splendored Thing) I guess some music stuff stuck.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
My cousin Dan, put himself through college playing the accordion. He started playing in the early 1950's, when he was about 9. I played piano, so my uncle insisted one night that I play the accordion. Let me tell you, the accordion is not a piano!!! :confused::cool: It takes a very different mind set.

The Polish side of my family loves to play piano, violin, and accordion. The Irish side seems to enjoy guitar, with cousins like Vince Gill, and Albert Cummings who do a good job at being professionals. Even my dad's side of the family played guitar.

When I made the decision to not be a professional musician, I took into account the lives of all the musicians I knew - friends and family. A good friend and I had a long talk. He convinced me that being a musician was a good avocation, but a risky vocation. Being a music professional is not for everyone. But there is no reason to not enjoy music as a listener or playing an instrument for sheer enjoyment. :cool:

Tom

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
When I was 13 or so, we had a piano in the house, though no one could play. Mom was a teacher and needed a music credit before graduation. I plunked on it, got a couple music lessons from a neighbor lady. But I was frustrated. I wanted to play Jerry Lee and Leon but couldn't begin to get two hands working together, so I concluded that I wasn't musical. I kept singing in choir class, could read music at a remedial level, and attended hundreds of concerts and bar bands, as I loved all music.
In college, a buddy showed me g, c, d, on an acoustic, I could pick the intro to Purple Haze from watching Hendrix movies so much. But I was still a watcher and not a participant. But i was a music devotee, with a massive diverse collection of music, and friends with my buddies in our small town's bar bands. Eventually a divorce left me with extra time on my hands, so i bought a cheap acoustic. With Mel Bay books and guitar magazines, I taught myself to play to a basic level. My bar band buddy, in my only real guitar lesson showed me the Chuck Berry rythmn in A and E, and I felt liberated.
The next few years a group of us, from band level to my level, would get together at least weekly and write a song a week to four track cassette. I played a few open mics as an acoustic strummer, or banging out the few neil Young tunes I could jam on electric. I never had a regular band, I worked my way through cassette, Roland VS, and now Presonus One daw. I write tunes and record covers, playing everything myself, except drums, thanks for drum machines.
Now, owning several guitars, basses, banjos and such, I wanted to get more serious about developing some skills. I could do fine at a campfire, playing solo to friends, but I was still mostly lost in a band situation. My recording were made by just working on parts relentlessly until I could get an acceptable take. I tried a different online course several years ago which helped me move around the fretboard some, but I still wasn't satisfied with where I was.
I've started BGU2 just recently after seeing some of Griffs emails. I liked his style and wanted to challenge myself to get better, especially as a soloist. I was nervous when I went through the first lessons quickly and easily. It changed soon enough and I was challenged to play up to speed at least somewhat cleanly. I still haven't got to soloing, but my work with a pick and muting are making strides and practice is fun again. I'm making up new songs and putting these rythmn ideas to work. My skills lay more in arranging, so it's nice to bring my chops up. It will take a good while to move through bgu, but i feel like more of a musician and I'm optimistic that I'm going to get better.
When this health situation gets cleared, I'll be actively looking to play more with my buddies live. I'm comfortable in a recording environment, I hope to feel that way with live musicians. My history leaves me comfortable only when I'm well rehearsed, I'd like to be better able to jam and improvise a bit. I think I'm on my way at 63 years old. It's great brain stimulation, and a great way to spend my retirement years.
Thanks to Griff and the BGU community, I hope to attend an event or two when I can.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
I've spent the last 40 minutes reading through these... I can't thank you all enough.

I've just heard that the governor of California has called a statewide ban on gatherings, so I've had to cancel my Sunday plans to have the band here and do a web concert for you all, and I'm super bummed.

I love music, I've loved it my whole life, since I was a kid. I can't remember a time when I didn't love it. I've basically done it as a career since I was 16 years old (with a few odd jobs here and there, but not many.)

I love performing, I love teaching, I love seeing those lightbulb moments and working with students to find them when they seem so far out of reach.

If you need ANYTHING at all to help you on your way, I hope you know you can reach out to me and I will always do my best to try and help.

And by all means, if you have a story and you haven't yet, please share it. You would be surprised how often I hear from people that are shocked to discover there is an entire forum full of people "just like them." These stories do wonders for those folks.
My srory may appear later, but I just want to thank you for your teaching. And insistence on COUNTING. And the regular email mini-lessons

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Tail end of my story- i've been to some of the regional jams and Griff events and met and played with quite a few of the regulars here on the forum. All good times. My dedication to practicing has not always been top notch.