Yikes! 4 gigs this week.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Wed night 6-10 pm - Local bar
Thur 10-11 am on a 4th of July float (but I have to get there by 7:30!!!) (Had to learn some patriotic songs)
Fri 8-11 pm at a Wine bar
Sat 9:30-1:30 at a dive bar.
and I'm realizing that I'm too old for this.
I'm planning on backing off to at MOST 1 per week. Maybe even fewer than that.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Thur 10-11 am on a 4th of July float (but I have to get there by 7:30!!!) (Had to learn some patriotic songs)
OK, so I initially couldn't figure this one out. Growing up in Tejas, I read "on a 4th of July float" and immediately wondered what river. If you're playing Wed night, there's no way you're going to drive south to the Comal or Guadelupe and still be worth anything to be somewhere by 7:30 in the morning. So I thought maybe it was that lazy river they have at the Dr P ballpark or maybe Panther Island here in FW. That made more sense...have an actual stage on the side and play for everyone as they floated by. But doesn't look like the RoughRiders are playing tomorrow and Panther Island never kicks anything off in the morning. So I was really confused.

Then I re-read it and got a bulb. You're in a parade!!! How cool is that?!?!? (y):Beer:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Well, make that three. Long story...
I showed up at the gig tonight and there was equipment already on the stage, so I asked the bartender about it and she called the owner.
He said he had been trying to reach me for days and that when he called it said my phone had been disconnected, so he got his regular Wednesday night go to fill in just in case, but since I was there , I should play..

I set up all my gear, finished the sound check and about 10 minutes before I was about to start, a guy walks in with a guitar can a mandolin.
I told him that the owner said I should play. He was a bit pissed because the Wed night guy called him to play a duet with him & he had just drive 2 hours to be there.

So, I start thinking "This poor guy has a 4 hour round trip. am I gonna send him home?"

SO... I called the owner and told him that if it was ok with him, I'd let the duet have my slot and I'd head home (20 minute drive)

The Wed guy showed up and told me the same story about them trying to reach me. I asked what number did you call. The owner (who has at least tow of my business cards) gave him the wrong number.

Now before you start thinking that I'm 100% altruistic, I DID have in the back of my mind that I have to get up at 6 am to be ready to set up at 7:30 on a parade float in the morning.

Jim_Schmidt

Blues Newbie
Wow, that's grueling. I couldn't even handle a back-to-back thing when our band was gigging.

Did the parade float thing once. It was fun, if a little odd. We didn't not throw candy.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Wow, that's grueling. I couldn't even handle a back-to-back thing when our band was gigging.

Did the parade float thing once. It was fun, if a little odd. We didn't not throw candy.

Odd is the right word. had to stop a few times to keep my gear from falling over on the turns.
I'm pretty sure I was the only live music in the parade. (Our float took second place to a local brewery that had about 5 vehicles in the parade).