Writing songs open to the forum

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Then we get it published, sell it to ??? and we all become millionaires
Wake up Wildwood!!!:sleep: Your dreaming!!;):ROFLMAO: I think this was tried before quite recently. I'm not sure how it ended up though, and I can't find the thread. I struggle to put some of my own ideas together sometimes, so I doubt if I could get inside someone else's head to follow theirs!!:confused:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I'm a terrible collaborator.....Ha "No Collaboration"
I dabble in song writing and have tried the co-writing game here a few times.
It just don't work for me......I gotta own it.
Co-writing is like co-parenting to me, sometimes it's the best thing for the child but, It can be somewhat dis-functional.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Wake up Wildwood!!!:sleep: Your dreaming!!;):ROFLMAO: I think this was tried before quite recently. I'm not sure how it ended up though, and I can't find the thread. I struggle to put some of my own ideas together sometimes, so I doubt if I could get inside someone else's head to follow theirs!!:confused:
Davy: We did do a project back in 2014 or 15 (not sure). The subject was "My woman ain't got no sense". Marv; Tommy Tube Tone; Snarf; myself, and JN99 all threw a verse out...It came out pretty good....I ran into a stumble when I didn't know what the word"TWERKIN'" meant from Tube Tones verse..After he enlightened me, I couldn't figure out a way to use it; and I wasn't comfortable with not using lines from everyone. I still have what came together up there in the room somewhere---Later.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
OK PAPA; it didn't take that long----I "MADE A U TURN"---
Oh my gosh----just read this on the beast----""77 year old bus driver is charged with vehicular homicide by crossing a 3 lane highway in an attempt to make---a "ILLEGAL U TURN". OHH MAN. Maybe I better file 13 my song------NAAHH don't think so. The only casualties in my song is a bunch of "ALABAMA CHICKENS".

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
A good song needs a good title, a great "hook line" and a great "theme" or story-line.
We could pick one of Papa's subjects, then focus on coming up with a great "hook line" for the chorus as a group.
Once that has been accomplished, that "hook line" would offer up a general direction for the "theme" and we could work on defining the story.
Then we could work on coming up with verses.
Then putting it all to music.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Okay, may I respectfully throw in a suggestion, @Rancid Rumpboogie is correct, I think most of us do that when writing ( or attempting to)
This is something, I think we could do a man and women story in 102 verses (so everyone who wants can write a section and it could go on forever)

Storyline - married guys, ex married guys, and those who have ever asked a lady anything will get it. We were sitting here the other day and Christine asked me what I want for dinner, I made the mistake of saying " Honey, I really dont care, what ever you want " then I got the look

So while she was looking at me, I started playing a version of this on the spot, no thought what so ever....(side note, I didnt know she had such good aim when throwing kitchen utensils.

verse 1

You ask me
What I wanna do
I say its up to you
Then you look at
With that evil stare

verse 2

Honey I don’t mind
You give me one more time
To know what you want
and not go there

chorus

Men are from mars
Women are psychotic
You Dont really know until you got it
Don’t try understand
It’ll only blow your mind

so, theres my suggestion to start

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
OK I'm in: but you must realize Women are from MARS----men are from PLUTO...

#1..."I ask Christine this evening, what she was gonna cook?
She just looked at me funny; and kept reading a comic book
then she went in the bathroom, and put on a different face
that's when I realized Christine goes to outerspace.

#2...Oh my stars; my Christine is going to Mars.
I hope she brings me supper home.
Oh, my stars my Christine went to MARS
she left me here with hot dogs all alone.

(will hat one work for you????);););)

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues

I wasnt using her name...just making fun of her...lol

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
I wasnt using her name...just making fun of her...lol
That is a "GOOD THING"----so now you can let your very nice wife read it---I think she would get a kick out of it--Sharon always ask me "what I want for supper"---and my response is the same as yours---"I don't care--whatever you feel like cooking"......It don't go over very good at all--That's when she orders "take out Chinese food"....(Now that's the big-one) but I knew it was coming. Whatever it takes to keeps um happy--It beats "HOT THUNG AND COLD SHOULDER" for the next couple days.:):):)

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Here is one I wrote years ago back in the late 80's … it isn't blues, but it has a hook/chorus line and a simple title "It Hurts To Think I'm Stupid". I belonged to the Arizona Song Writers' Association at the time. One of the tenets of song writing is to stay away from cliché's. So of course I just had to write a song that was nothing but cliché's, and that defined the "theme".
The chorus line is
"I'm none too smart but it hurts to think I'm stupid, takin' handouts at the back door is not my favorite dream.
I'm movin' on before you got me hurtin' and steppin' in road apples on the trail of broken dreams."

It Hurts To Think I'm Stupid

Last edited:

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Hi, I'm Johnny Cash. Hi, I'm Chuck Berry, shall we write a song?;):ROFLMAO:

That was pretty cool RR. How come we don't see you in the 'Other Members Recordings'? That was a pretty polished performance. I'd love to hear more.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Here is one I wrote years ago back in the late 80's … it isn't blues, but it has a hook/chorus line and a simple title "It Hurts To Think I'm Stupid". I belonged to the Arizona Song Writers' Association at the time. One of the tenets of song writing is to stay away from cliché's. So of course I just had to write a song that was nothing but cliché's, and that defined the "theme".
The chorus line is
"I'm none too smart but it hurts to think I'm stupid, takin' handouts at the back door is not my favorite dream.
I'm movin' on before you got me hurtin' and steppin' in road apples on the trail of broken dreams."

It Hurts To Think I'm Stupid
I love the title

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Hi, I'm Johnny Cash. Hi, I'm Chuck Berry, shall we write a song?;):ROFLMAO:

That was pretty cool RR. How come we don't see you in the 'Other Members Recordings'? That was a pretty polished performance. I'd love to hear more.
Because I am no longer focused on writing songs or putting together compilations like that, don't even have the necessary equipment to do it any more. And I am not into memorizing solos and such. Not that there is anything wrong with doing so if one is so inclined, but I'm just not.
Here is another one from back then.

We Built It All

These two are the only two I still have that survived the years. They were done on an old Fostex Simul-sync 4-track recorder that recorded on double-speed cassette tapes. I had a whole bunch of them, but they sat in a box neglected for 25 years and most of them deteriorated past salvage. I found a little gizmo that allowed me to convert a cassette to digital and managed to save these two.

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
I found a little gizmo that allowed me to convert a cassette to digital and managed to save these two.
That ones too 'echo'y. You have a good strong voice though.

What is the gizmo?? I have a load of cassettes sitting as well, and it might be wise to digitise them before they grow old and mouldy like me.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
That ones too 'echo'y. You have a good strong voice though.

What is the gizmo?? I have a load of cassettes sitting as well, and it might be wise to digitise them before they grow old and mouldy like me.
I can't remember what it was. It was a really inexpensive cheaply built little thing, and once I was done with it knew I'd never use it again, and it went to "gizmo heaven". I agree that one was too echo'y.

Bernie Fitz

Blues Junior

#2 already done by John Prine (My Linda's gone to Mars)