Why is the sky Blue?

C

Charlie_13

I don't know why the sky is Blue and I also don't know why solo #4 is in B Minor. It seems to work fine in a major cord as my Wednesday Blues player and helpfull instructor has said.  I understand what Key B is and Bb is but what key is B Minor?

I cheated on my IQ test, so this may be the problem or it is the onset of a senior's moment.

L

Lame_Pinkey

I have no idea why it is in B minor just looked & did not see a B minor in the whole of the rythm part, F#7 wasn't it ?
So maybe it should be in F#7  :-?, actually to me its on the 7th fret I don't care what key its in to be honest.
I'm sure Wayne or someone will tell you Willie but don't go losing sleep over it ok ?

LP

G

Garymcm

Sorry Willy dont know the B minor but as a scientist I love the first question.
Sorry cant help myself.

­The­re is a physical phenomenon called Rayleigh scattering that causes light to scatter when it p­asses through particles that have a diameter one-tenth that of the wavelength (color) of the light. Sunlight is made up of all different colors of light, but because of the elements in the atmosphere, the color blue is scattered much more efficiently than the other colors.

When you look at the sky on a clear day, you can see the sun as a bright disk. The blueness you see everywhere else is all of the atoms in the atmosphere scattering blue light toward you. Because red light, yellow light, green light and the other colors aren't scattered nearly as well, you see the sk­y­ as blue.

Cheers
Gary

L

Lame_Pinkey

See what you did willie , you let the egghead out of the bag !

LP

...or is that carton ?  :-/

G

Garymcm

beware of rambling egg heads that should be working and looking for anything to procrastinate on rather than draft a bloody report.

;D ;)

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
You know LCW, it's not really in B minor technically speaking... it's really a blues in B. But for some reason I didn't like the B major blues sound on that one so I called it minor in my mind and left it that way. In retrospect, probably not the best idea.

If you like the major sound on it, feel free to use it. Sorry for the confusion.

Gary - As a little boy we lived in Los Alamos, New Mexico, and my dad worked at the national laboratory there. The whole town is full of physicists and other "science people" that do stuff that still makes my head spin. Hearing your explanation was so funny to me because I used to get those same types of answers from my dad and my friends' dads. Except we were like, 8 years old, and REALLY didn't get it :)

Griff

C

Charlie_13

This might be  of some help as well as increasing our thought process, also click on the thing on the right for even more stuff.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B_minor
:)  LCW

PS I think what Griff is saying, in this solo, is that you will be playing in the Key of B and using Blues blocks one and two which are minor blocks. Hope this is right.
LCW

wgabree

Blues Newbie
Boy, I'm glad Griff answered that one!  I took a look at the book & listened to the track and started wondering "why did Griff say this was in B minor?"   :p

kgarkie

Been living the blues.
Y.

Gary - As a little boy we lived in Los Alamos, New Mexico, and my dad worked at the national laboratory there. The whole town is full of physicists and other "science people" that do stuff that still makes my head spin. Hearing your explanation was so funny to me because I used to get those same types of answers from my dad and my friends' dads. Except we were like, 8 years old, and REALLY didn't get it :)

Griff

So, you are inferring that you don't need a night light?  Got a little extra glow going on there Griff?  Hard to get an X-ray on you that isn't one big cloud?  Sorry, I can't help myself with something this easy. 

G

Garymcm

[glow=yellow,2,300]Gary - As a little boy we lived in Los Alamos, New Mexico, and my dad worked at the national laboratory there. The whole town is full of physicists and other "science people" that do stuff that still makes my head spin. Hearing your explanation was so funny to me because I used to get those same types of answers from my dad and my friends' dads. Except we were like, 8 years old, and REALLY didn't get it [/glow]

My wife and daughters roll their eyes when I get going. Very hard to stop yourself. Like one of those pictures that you have to lookk at for 5 minutes before someother picture "apppear" . I'v e never been able to see them, but there's always someone that will try and explain what it is.
Ahh well - im off to therapy before the rugbyy game tonight.

Cheers
Gary

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Yes, I used to have the T-Shirt:

"I'm from Los Alamos and I glow in the dark"

And my wife and kids have learned to tell me to give them the short answer as well... appears I inherited my dad's ability to condense a 3 minute answer into just 42 short minutes :)

Cynicure

Blues Newbie
The sky is blue because the atmosphere is full of tiny calcite crystals and calcite crystals refract blue light...

Next question please!

[smiley=beer.gif]

L

Lame_Pinkey

The sky is actually black & its the sun shining in our atmosphere that gives the " impression " of the " sky " ( which is just the vastness of space ) being blue.

LP

In Space no one hears the Blues !

L

Lame_Pinkey

Nothing to steal Snarf you may have it as an early christmas gift  ;)

LP

J

jdbuckslayer1

Lmao at this whole post. And I just had to read the whole thing. :) :) [smiley=beer.gif]