Pedals/Effects Why I bought my Okko Diablo Gain+

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Gregor Hilden is my personal guitar hero ... my favorite of all of them. Sorry, Griff ... you are right up there next to him though, your "I'll Drink To That" CD has never come out of the player in my SUV since I got the CD ... love your playing and your tone is super. I have no problem learning licks from Griff. But I got a collection of licks from Gregor two years ago along with recordings of them and tab, and so far I can't play even one of them well ... they make my eyes cross and tie my fingers in knots. He sounds like he's playing blues, but there is a strong jazz thread running all through it, and trying to make sense of his licks is like flying the starship Entropy where no man has gone before.

What impressed me about the Okko is that it sounds GOOD no matter WHAT guitar is plugged into it ... with absolutely no tweaking. With my menagerie of guitars, that is a heavy lift but a requirement that very few of the pedals I have tried can meet.

Last edited:

GeeDub

Mojo Seeker
I was checking on availability but I have not been able to locate the Gain +. It appears to have been discontinued. All I can find are the Diablo Overdrive and the Diablo Dual Overdrive.

It seems that whenever there is a great product, within a matter of time it is discontinued when someone gets the brilliant idea to create something better, which quite often turns out to be worse. I prefer the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I was checking on availability but I have not been able to locate the Gain +. It appears to have been discontinued. All I can find are the Diablo Overdrive and the Diablo Dual Overdrive.

It seems that whenever there is a great product, within a matter of time it is discontinued when someone gets the brilliant idea to create something better, which quite often turns out to be worse. I prefer the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach.
I'm building a couple of the gain+ and I think @MikeR has built one, I'll let you know how they turn out

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
At this point, I think I would go for Gregor's signature "GH" model from OKKO.
Last time I looked, there were some available from sellers on reverb.com
The GH model is slightly different, based on Gregor's input.
Look and listen here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrNkVt0eZ60
So would I at this point.
But back when I bought my Okko he was using the Gain+, so that's what I got.
The things are so expensive that I'm not going to get the GH model and put my Gain+ on my un-used shelf.
My Gain+ keeps a grin on my face.
But I am not real sure I would even prefer the new GH model.
It is like so many other two-button OD's out there with two completely separate OD's, each with its own tone controls, that can be stacked.
The Gain+ is just one with a dedicated gain boost, with both buttons sharing the entire tone stack and only gain being affected by the 2nd button, and those tone controls are actually a little "more" than those found on the GH version. When I'm looking for more gain, that is EXACTLY what I want, and it is those tone controls that make me regard it as such a sweet pedal.

Last edited:

piebaldpython

Blues Junior

GeeDub......I think there are a couple of the Gain+ models available on Reverb.com now.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Yes, it looks like the Gain+ has been discontinued ... I can't find one anywhere either. If you want one now, you're most likely S.O.L. because I can't imagine anyone who has one ever parting with it. As has been mentioned, manufacturers just can't seem to leave well enough alone when they have a great product ... always trying to "improve" it and ending up lousing it up instead. Pigtronix did that with their original Philosophers Tone Germanium compressor ... discontinued a fantastic pedal and replaced it with a relatively "funky" micro version that just isn't the same ... close ... but close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

I can understand Gregor Hilden having his new GH pedal be two completely independent overdrives instead of the way the Gain+ operated. Gregor very seldom if ever ventures into "high gain" territory ... whereas that capability is precisely what makes the Gain+ such an outstanding pedal. Of course, you can kinda/sorta do that with his new GH version, but you give up the OUTSTANDING "Body" and "Feed" controls of the Gain+.

GeeDub

Mojo Seeker
GeeDub......I think there are a couple of the Gain+ models available on Reverb.com now.

I don't see the Gain + listed. However, there are about 6 standard Diablo OD pedals listed. It looks like nobody wants to part with their Gain + version. Not a problem as I doubt I could afford the price if someone did decide to put one up for sale.

piebaldpython

Blues Junior
Yes, it looks like the Gain+ has been discontinued ... I can't find one anywhere either. If you want one now, you're most likely S.O.L. because I can't imagine anyone who has one ever parting with it. As has been mentioned, manufacturers just can't seem to leave well enough alone when they have a great product ... always trying to "improve" it and ending up lousing it up instead. Pigtronix did that with their original Philosophers Tone Germanium compressor ... discontinued a fantastic pedal and replaced it with a relatively "funky" micro version that just isn't the same ... close ... but close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

I can understand Gregor Hilden having his new GH pedal be two completely independent overdrives instead of the way the Gain+ operated. Gregor very seldom if ever ventures into "high gain" territory ... whereas that capability is precisely what makes the Gain+ such an outstanding pedal. Of course, you can kinda/sorta do that with his new GH version, but you give up the OUTSTANDING "Body" and "Feed" controls of the Gain+.

As of 9:30EDT, 07/26/20, there are 3 Gain+ Okkos available on Reverb.com. Here are the links to all 3:
https://reverb.com/item/28910968-okko-diablo
https://reverb.com/item/34572441-okko-diablo-overdrive
https://reverb.com/item/34676597-okko-diablo-plus-overdrive

Unfortunately, it appears that all 3 are overseas.

I have the GH model, and as RR states, the OKKO is all that and a bag of chips. A veritable tone-shaping monster. The GH does have the FEED and BODY aspects of the OKKO that affects both sides of the pedal to the extent that the 2nd side is only affected by 2 dials, BOOST and TONE. Again, as RR states, the GH gets you in the general ballpark range of the OKKO+, but not exactly there. To use a baseball analogy....the GH gets you easily into the bleachers, the Gain+ can get you into the upper deck.

Here's info about the GH and an explanation of what the controls do:
http://www.okko-fx.com/gregorhilden_english.html
http://www.okko-fx.com/media/okko_diablogh_manual.pdf

I am new to the GH, but definitely enjoying tweaking to massage the tone. Just amazing.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Thank you piebald, you have enlightened me. I never really dived into the GH model because I am so happy with my Gain+ and never even really considered dropping another $300.00 or so to switch.

Apparently the two are really close in what they can do. On the GH version, both buttons share all of the tone controls INCLUDING the BODY and FEED controls, and the BOOST gives you increased volume and a little more tone control, but with no additional gain (it says gain is fixed ... whatever that means). Pretty much like the Gain+ except with the Gain+ you can have the normal "on" button set to just edge of break-up and the gain on the "boost" button set to peel paint off the back wall.

One other apparent (?) difference: The GH version says that it has an internal voltage doubling circuit to boost 9V to 18V and to not supply it with more than 9V or you will damage that circuit. Apparently it is always running at 18V. The Gain+ has a switch so you can toggle between 9V and 18V, and the whole pedal is noticeably "softer" or "more mild" on 9V than on 18V.

To use piebald's baseball analogy, the prettiest women are probably found in the bleachers and those just a tad on the trashy side on the upper deck.

For me, my "tonal orgasm" happens when I stack my J Rockett Dude into my Okko. OMG! Both pedals are smack in the middle of Gregor's tone, but different. Think of the combo as an Okko on "Fat". And no, my wonderful, awesome, lawded, out of this world wunderbar Quilter can NOT duplicate this on its own!

Last edited:

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
I'm building a couple of the gain+ and I think @MikeR has built one, I'll let you know how they turn out

I compared the one I built to some videos of the Diablo and it seemed pretty close (at least as much as you can tell from a Youtube video). The controls didn't work exactly the same, but you could get the different tones pretty close. I like it.

One of these days I should pack all the clone pedals I've made in a box and take them over to Griff's house to compare them to the real thing. :LOL:

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
I compared the one I built to some videos of the Diablo
Mike,
I'm curious which DIY pedal is the clone of the OKKO?
I've already got at least half a dozen various electronic build projects in different states of (non) completion - one more couldn't hurt. :D

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
It doesn't say it is a clone of the Okko or even that it is equal to the Okko. All it says is "compare to Okko Diablo+".
Heck, you can compare Daffy Duck to the Okko Diablo+.
It is just plain laughable that you could end up with anything nearly like an Okko for a paltry $12.00.
It reminds me of the "wonderful high quality" .22LR revolver I saw in a magazine as a kid for a whole $8.00. When I got it, the front sight was at a 45-degree angle and there wasn't even any rifling in the barrel. :)

Last edited:

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
It doesn't say it is a clone of the Okko or even that it is equal to the Okko. All it says is "compare to Okko".
Heck, you can compare Daffy Duck to the Okko. It is just plain laughable that you could end up with anything nearly like an Okko for a paltry $12.00.
Well the $12 is only the board and that site is pretty well known for having precise and verifiable traces of the original circuits, and of the many circuits I've built and have the originals on hand they are spot on.

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
It doesn't say it is a clone of the Okko or even that it is equal to the Okko. All it says is "compare to Okko".
Heck, you can compare Daffy Duck to the Okko. It is just plain laughable that you could end up with anything nearly like an Okko for a paltry $12.00.

Well, that's not even a kit, just the circuit board so....
That's kinda like saying there's no way you can get a cheap guitar and put better parts in it and it'll be as good as an expensive guitar...shrug-smiley (50x50) (2).jpg