Why are parallel scales considered parallel?

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I always wondered why scales are considered parallel to each other just because they start on the same tonic.

What's parallel about that?

Two points wouldn't be considered parallel.

You need lines.

This isn't the technically correct definition, but it works for me.

They have all 7 letter names in common in the same order, but different sharps or flats.

So for the modes of A Major I could first write out A thru G seven times in parallel and then go back through adding the sharps and flats.

Start with 7 "parallel lines":

A B C D E F G
A B C D E F G
A B C D E F G
A B C D E F G
A B C D E F G
A B C D E F G
A B C D E F G

Then 7 "parallel" scales:

A B C# D# E F# G#---A Lydian----------(E Major)
A B C# D E F# G#----A Ionian-----------(A Major)
A B C# D E F# G------A Mixolydian-----(D Major)
A B C D E F# G-------A Dorian----------(G Major)
A B C D E F G---------A Aeolian--------(C Major)
A Bb C D E F G--------A Phrygian-------(F Major)
A Bb C D Eb F G-------A Locrian--------(Bb Major)

At least I can justify, for myself, more than just 1 note "in parallel".

Now I can sleep at night.

Last edited:

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
2 points = a line
starting AND ending points of all scales are equal (2 points, start and end)
all scales are parallel because they start and end at the same point.

I dunno... works for me :)

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Now I’m confused all over again.

All scales that start and end on A are considered parallel to each other?

Modes, Pentatonic scales, blues scales, composite blues scale, harmonic and melodic minor scales, altered scales and all other scales I’ve never heard of?

If not, there must be other criteria.?

The Natural, Harmonic and Melodic minor scales also have all 7 letters A-G like the above modes.

Other scales may have more or fewer notes and still be considered parallel to all the rest?

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Parallel Scales.png
I’ve seen examples like this showing the same tonic which by definition makes these parallel to each other, but I also notice there are all 7 letters of the musical alphabet in the same order.

Even though there’s a difference of 3 sharps all the letters are “parallel”, not just the first one, forming 2 “parallel lines/scales”.

I just don’t see how having just the first note in common makes two scales parallel. If that’s the only criterion all scales that start with A are.

Everywhere I look I see the same definition and all the examples are the modes of the Major scale and the 3 minor scales.

All of which have all 7 letters of the alphabet in the same order but with differing sharps or flats.

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I would just like someone to tell me definitively whether the A Major pentatonic scale and the A minor pentatonic scale are or aren't considered parallel to each other before I say they are or aren't in a reply to a posted question only to have someone "take issue" with whether I said they were or weren't.

How's that for a complete sentence.

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Found it interesting to watch someone explain all the usual stuff on a different instrument in a different tuning played on his lap.

Though I’ve only watched the first 7 minutes.

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Maybe we have parallel modes and parallel pentatonics, but don't consider modes and pentatonics parallel to each other.

But that's inconsistent with the definition of same tonic.

But I could live with it.

Last edited:

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
I didn't mean to confuse the issue, you mentioned that 2 points wouldn't be considered parallel, I was simply pointing out that there are actually 2 points per scale, a start and and end, therefore making lines, which can be parallel.

Other than that, I think we do consider modes and pentatonic parallel to each other, that's where are the scale formulas come from. I think you have it understood very well. Keep in mind that many of these minute details probably aren't clear or even standardized to most people. There's always room for debate with this stuff.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I just realized it would make more sense to me if comparing scales in notation.

Parallel Scales Everything You Need To Know - YouTube 2.png

Even more so if the sharps and flats were in their respective key signatures.

Maybe historically the term “parallel” was first used when the Major-minor system was being created and that's all there was to compare.

Every Major scale had a parallel and a relative minor scale and vice versa.

Then in more recent times the term “parallel” became used collectively for all scales, diatonic and otherwise, with the same tonic.

At least that’s the story I’m going with now.

Last edited:

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Found it interesting to watch someone explain all the usual stuff on a different instrument in a different tuning played on his lap.

Though I’ve only watched the first 7 minutes.

and he gets into be bop- on dulcimer, really?