Who do you wanna play like?

BigMike

Blues Oldie
Some good points made here. Joe Bonamassa sounds and plays like Joe Bonamassa, nobody else ever will, same for all the others. My belief is that you play to your strengths and try and improve your weaknesses and hopefully that will give you your own unique style. Which is yours to keep as long as you like.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Somebody moderately competent.
Came here to say this exactly. :Beer: I can honestly say that I want to play like me but with more skill. Guess I should practice more. lol

As for those idols whose guitar stylings I wish I was able to emulate?

SRV
Phil Keaggy
Tab Benoit
Robert Cray
David Gilmour (I really don't like Pink Floyd, but he is an incredibly tasteful player)
Clapton
Scott Dente (Nashville cat that does some studio work and was half the 90s CCM group Out of the Grey)
Warren Haynes
John Mayer
Griff

That's 10. The list changes from day to day depending on what I may be listening to, but these are always in my list of guitar players that I wish I could steal from.

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
I'm with others that I would be completely satisfied to be able to play like myself, only more competently. However, in the interest of keeping with the spirit of this exercise (in no particular order):

Electric:
Robert Cray
Joe Louis Walker
BB King
Eric Clapton
David Gilmour
Trey Anastasio
John Mayer
Jimi Hendrix
Jerry Garcia

Acoustic:
Ani DiFranco
Andy McKee
Eric Clapton

Honorable mention (I love their playing, but don't really care for their tone. I know, weird):
SRV
Buddy Guy

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
George Lynch
EVH
SRV

I would like to play like all of them just not sound like them.
Always wanted a striped EVH guitar too but I figure you kinda have to play somewhat like him so that isn't going to happen. I just done have hours on end to practice so i'm not worthy.

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
I just want to play like me at the lower range of ok ish ... or even middle range eventually.

Simple phrasing done cleaner and feeling it would be nice!